• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

His preening me is at OCD level

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
And it's driving me mad
:tmsmakesme:

He has become absolutely obsessed and it's not always very gentle. I try to redirect him with other things but that only lasts for a minute or two at most and then it's back to me. Preening my skin, my hair, my clothes. I get that he's just trying to help me but it's honestly quite annoying. Especially when it hurts.

What can I do to bring it down a notch?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
He has a couple. A leather octopus looking thing and the aronico shoelace preening toy but he doesn't really preen those.

I gave him a little piece of balsa this morning but that only helps for like a minute before it's back to me

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Do you have hand cream on or something? It looks like he's tasting something. I don't know if there was sound or not, but I would be reminding him "gentle, gentle" and shove a toy in between his beak and your hand.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Lol, he tastes my skin and he ate something from behind my nail in that clip!o_O I have nothing on. He also plucks my arm hairs right out of the socket.

I will try telling him to be gentle and shoving a toy in his beak but I have a feeling it won't help much because he's utterly obsessed. I sometimes give him q tips when he does this and it stops him for a second but it's always right back to me. When he sees my hand or finger his little eyeballs zooms in on the skin and goes to it like moths to a flame.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Maybe its hormone related? I know Alex gets a little nippy and has a tendency to pull out hairs when shes hormonal.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Maybe its hormone related? I know Alex gets a little nippy and has a tendency to pull out hairs when shes hormonal.
Heh, that work make sense! I kind of hope that's what it is so that it could eventually for down.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Dropbox - 20171107_091836.mp4

Look how obsessed his little eyeballs are. This is not even the worst of it.

I wish Blu could take a lesson in preening from Saroj's Jackson. Jackson preening looks so cute and gentle. :xflove:
Unfortunately, this is how some birds preen. Bella can get a little rough so when she starts, I say no, and if she continues, she gets put up on top of her cage. But she has a lot of toys that she plays with.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Unfortunately, this is how some birds preen. Bella can get a little rough so when she starts, I say no, and if she continues, she gets put up on top of her cage. But she has a lot of toys that she plays with.
That's a little discouraging that some birds are just rough preeners. I wish Blu would stay on his cage top but I've tried putting him there when he gets carried away and he always comes flying back almost immediately.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you tried wearing something he can preen instead? Or a sweatshirt or something? Have you worked on "stay" with him to train him to stay on his cage so you can get some relief?

@JLcribber is going to recommend a friend, you know ;)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Have you tried wearing something he can preen instead? Or a sweatshirt or something? Have you worked on "stay" with him to train him to stay on his cage so you can get some relief?

@JLcribber is going to recommend a friend, you know ;)
He does preen my clothes sometimes. Lately though, the hand/fingernail and face preening has been the main attraction. This is pretty new, that it's so constant and such an obsession. Within the last week, I'd say.

I have not worked on training him to station because I don't know how? I would love some advice on that if anyone can help.

I know people say to make the cage/cage top more fun and interesting but I think when I'm here I'm more fun than anything else

Which leads me to knowing that someone would probably recommend another bird :unsure1:

I just feel in my heart that would bring more problems than help cause he's obsessed with me. I know he would appreciate another bird a little but then it would be me juggling 2 birds who will probably be fighting over me. I just can't right now. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For Gizmo I would put her down and treat even if she hesitated before flying to me. I'd hold out my hand and say STAY. Did it from a foot away for 5 seconds, 10 seconds, building up time before extending distance

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
For Gizmo I would put her down and treat even if she hesitated before flying to me. I'd hold out my hand and say STAY. Did it from a foot away for 5 seconds, 10 seconds, building up time before extending distance
Thank you so much! I will start working on that with him. I really appreciate it!!