• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

His poop nearly gave me a heart attack

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
You guys all know that Pavi is still a very nervous baby ( though he did sit on my hand today :cheer:). He will occasionally spook and fly into things though it’s never looked like he’s smacked anything dangerously hard. While on my hand he pooped ( of course). All I saw was black poop with very little urea. :omg: My heart stopped. I thought for sure he had landed harder than I realized and was bleeding. I grabbed my carrier my keys and and my phone ready for the two plus hour drive. I decided to double check it, my old eyes aren’t what they used to be.

I smeared it and got my egg candler light and nearly died laughing. That’s when I remembered the blueberries........ his poop is actually blueberry blue. :hehe: It’s watery from the grapes I’m sure. I guess I fed him too much fruit for dinner. Maybe we’ll just go with ONE berry and a quarter grape for now along with his kale and spinach. :headsmack: He always eats the fruit first then comes out to play and then finishes off his veggies. I’m sure had he eaten the spinach at the same time it wouldn’t have been so blue. I’m really glad I didn’t give him any prickly pear tonight because between black AND red I’d have needed an ambulance.

I did put a new white liner in just to be sure but I can think of nothing else it could be that would turn poop blue.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poop patrol ,,its a dirty job, but we gotta do it.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I was going to say... especially when its running down the back of your shirt! Just be thankful you haven't got fids (Rainbow Lorikeet) that can squirt a metre or two when they want to go potty! :rofl:

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
I was going to say... especially when its running down the back of your shirt! Just be thankful you haven't got fids (Rainbow Lorikeet) that can squirt a metre or two when they want to go potty! :rofl:
I’ve always thought Lori’s were the coolest birds. Thank you for reminding me why I don’t have one. :loltears:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My vet told me that he can't even count the number of times bird owners have brought their birds to him in a panic because of weird droppings and it was because of something they ate- like red pellets, etc.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
My vet told me that he can't even count the number of times bird owners have brought their birds to him in a panic because of weird droppings and it was because of something they ate- like red pellets, etc.
Yes! Lol. I’m really glad I took the extra step to light and magnify his droppings. There is no end to the uses of an egg candler. Lol.

Thankfully today his droppings have normalized. Only two very tiny blueberries today, a quarter of a grape and no apple. I hung his cilantro to see if that helps after he refused his veggies this morning. He has his pellets if all else fails.