• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures His foot is looking better and better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
June 16
20180616_152528.jpg

June 27
20180627_111156.jpg

June 29
20180629_082313.jpg

Today (July 7)
20180706_081534.jpg

EDIT: I've noticed that the lower left nail is what keeps getting caught when he tries to fly. I've already filed it down a few days ago, even though I know I have more to go. What should I do to keep it from getting caught without making it sore from over-filing?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Awesome news!! Glad you didn't listen to the vet when he said there was no treatment :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If he doesn't like having his foot or nails touched you could always snip a tiny bit off with clippers when he's hanging on the cage like that, or take him in for a trim at your vet so you don't have to be the bad guy.
When we boarded Dobby the very well reviewed lady offered to trim his nails while there very reasonably and his nails were nice and short with no report of any problems. He's a very outgoing and and happy boy who doesn't freak out about much and loves everyone though.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he doesn't like having his foot or nails touched you could always snip a tiny bit off with clippers when he's hanging on the cage like that, or take him in for a trim at your vet so you don't have to be the bad guy.
When we boarded Dobby the very well reviewed lady offered to trim his nails while there very reasonably and his nails were nice and short with no report of any problems. He's a very outgoing and and happy boy who doesn't freak out about much and loves everyone though.
I'm able to file his nails as long as he's distracted when I'm holding him, but I didn't want to irritate the quick by taking off too much too soon. So I was going to file every two weeks, but that back nail gets caught on everything, and I'm afraid he'll end up dislocating that toe.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I did get a bird nail clipper thing and snip off a small part every time Lurch would hold still on the cage like that or he was on me and not paying attention. It's hard to see where the vein is with dark nailed birds but I only clipped him too much once and I just dipped his nail in flour and the bleeding stopped. The vein will recede as you slowly shorten the nail so doing a little at a time like you are works. Lurch didn't even flinch or cry when I went too far other then not liking his feet messed with. Funny thing is it was that same back nail that always got too long just like Java and he'd get it caught on things.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
It looks so much better! :heart: Java!

Nikomania

Vendor