• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hinoki Wood?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is Hinoki wood safe for birds? I have had a look but can not seem to find anything about this particular wood on the safe or unsafe list. Does anyone know if it should be avoided or if it is ok to use?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Japanese cypress is another name hinoki is known by.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hinoki is supposed to be soft & lemon scented...Just wonder what chemicals (natural) is possesses///

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have a feeling that with it being called Japanese cyprus it will be a no go but thought I would ask in case I am wrong and it can be used safely. I have not heard anything about it being lemon scented, that sounds nice but probably not ok for birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I can't seem to find anything either way :/

OkiF

Sitting on the front steps
This is an old thread but recently I had the same question and could not find easily an answer.
In short, hinoki appears to be bird safe. It is frequently used for hot bath here in Japan as it is quite resistant to mold. I asked my wife to look for info in Japanese as this wood is common here and we found several websites listing it as safe, and apparently experience of people sticking with making toys with hinoki as it is safe. I bought two boards of hinoki to make some plateforms, but still did not do it and I will still search a bit more info and experiences online to confirm it is safe. And of course, once I make the plateform there will be a careful watch at first to make sue there is no bad reactions.