• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hiking with harness

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
We didn't do much hiking but took a family trip over long Easter break. Most of it was spent relaxing.

A 4hr journey took us 6.5hrs by car due to getting lost. Echo decided a long time ago he prefers to travel in harness over carrier. Makes for a fuss free trip as we just jump in and out of car so we accommodate his compromise hehe Sometimes he tries to get out of harness but getting on our shoulder immediately when he sees it followed by sooking noises. He does accepts pakobird but only once out and about already.

I'm so proud of him though. Whole 4 days not a poop on anything except in his cage or where he was asked to go. He was such a good sport through whole trip. Best behavior in a long time and so much love and affection.

I did notice he didn't eat as much as on previous trips. He didn't get to fly around as much as normal so wondered if just due to decrease energy requirement or something else going on. But he was happy throughout the whole trip and is fine now. We did go camping once and the little piggy did nothing but eat everything in sight and me none the wiser kept giving him more thinking he was hungry. Well he toe tapped all night long.

Below are some photos from the trip. Hope you guys enjoy them.

View attachment 273299
Guess someone learnt to get in on the selfie action hehe

View attachment 273300
Caught talking to locals. I got a 'what' from him and this look. Lol

View attachment 273301
Tolerated this very well. Waves actually hitting back of rocks.

View attachment 273302
Made himself right at home on the cushion I was using.

View attachment 273303
Likes to sit backwards. Thought it might make him sick but it doesn't.

Another great trip. Nothing planned for a while so I might be a bit quiet for a while. I did notice his interest when driving through the city so might try him in a few short busy environments and see how he goes.
Omg this is amazing! Would love to train my Freddy like this!!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Its been over a month and poor little echo hasnt done much. Today i thought id take him out to run an erand and visit friend with me.

Thought perhaps he would regress in harness training but he sure did surprise me. No problems getting it on. Very happy in car checking everything out and occasionally saying 'look'.

First stop to the sewing machine repairers. There he was greeted by 3 men who all wanted to touch him hehe. Well it was all too much so he crapped hes pants into my hood. Tried to make up for it by being so kissy and interactive. I didnt clue on of course why all the extra attention from mr smooth pants until i got in car a found the poop. When i asked what happened in my hood all i got were apologetic little squeaks and cute looks as if it wasnt him.

Next stop visited a friend for morning tea. Well never have i had a more well behaved bird. He oood and ahhhd to our conversation. Laughed with us. Sat on my shoulder for 3 hours solid without biting harness or dropping a poop anywhere not asked. Didnt even try eat any of the food on the table. Then politely said bye bye as we left.

Once home he assisted with wrapping a gift and has been a delightful little soul for rest of evening. Made me kinda feel bad i havent taken him anywhere in a while. Nice to see he hasnt lost his taste for adventure.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He is just so amazing!:heart:You are doing an awesome job taking him places!;)

AnnaTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
We didn't do much hiking but took a family trip over long Easter break. Most of it was spent relaxing.

A 4hr journey took us 6.5hrs by car due to getting lost. Echo decided a long time ago he prefers to travel in harness over carrier. Makes for a fuss free trip as we just jump in and out of car so we accommodate his compromise hehe Sometimes he tries to get out of harness but getting on our shoulder immediately when he sees it followed by sooking noises. He does accepts pakobird but only once out and about already.

I'm so proud of him though. Whole 4 days not a poop on anything except in his cage or where he was asked to go. He was such a good sport through whole trip. Best behavior in a long time and so much love and affection.

I did notice he didn't eat as much as on previous trips. He didn't get to fly around as much as normal so wondered if just due to decrease energy requirement or something else going on. But he was happy throughout the whole trip and is fine now. We did go camping once and the little piggy did nothing but eat everything in sight and me none the wiser kept giving him more thinking he was hungry. Well he toe tapped all night long.

Below are some photos from the trip. Hope you guys enjoy them.

View attachment 273299
Guess someone learnt to get in on the selfie action hehe

View attachment 273300
Caught talking to locals. I got a 'what' from him and this look. Lol

View attachment 273301
Tolerated this very well. Waves actually hitting back of rocks.

View attachment 273302
Made himself right at home on the cushion I was using.

View attachment 273303
Likes to sit backwards. Thought it might make him sick but it doesn't.

Another great trip. Nothing planned for a while so I might be a bit quiet for a while. I did notice his interest when driving through the city so might try him in a few short busy environments and see how he goes.
how often do you take him on hikes? He seems to be very comfortable in the harness

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a lucky, happy boy! He's come so far. :xflove:

I dream of the day when I can go on hikes with Taco.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@AnnaTheConure

When weather good he goes out almost daily for a walk 1- 1.5hrs. With the all day hikes hes been on 4 so far to build him up to being in harness over 12hrs. His longest trip away was 4 days and hes also gone camping. Camping is probably the hardest as its 4 days min without much flying. So hes very good at being out and about. Ive just been on nightshift and sick so hes only done a 3hr hike a few weeks ago now.

TBH he hates the harness. We had to work some issues out. Molting is also hard with pin feathers. Normally he hates getting it on but once on there's no issues. Unless he gets spooked or someone tugs on it. Then he gets right annoyed and will bite it. But this too we are managing to work through. You can ask him to stop and ge will.

Id love to do an overnight hike with him. Think he'd do really well. And we have a pack o bird too. But id have to figure out how to take it off without risking loosing him. Something to aim for.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
What a lucky, happy boy! He's come so far. :xflove:

I dream of the day when I can go on hikes with Taco.
I think im the lucky one. I waited so long to get him after loosing my quaker. He brightens my everyday and is always 'helping' with everything.

I feel guilty that i push him so hard sometimes. Like he gets a bit sick in the car. He is petrified of push bikes riding past atm. Im helping him confront and concur this new issue. Its just that if i dont see it coming before he does i can't talk him through it. He really freaks and its the only time he tries to take off (thank god for harness). But hes better. We are working on him hiding from them rather than flying off.

Oh you can do it!! Taco will love it once he figures out what its all about. Have a look at flightsuits by avian fashions. They look much more comfortable for smaller birds than an aviator harness plus collect poop.
(Sorry im presuming based on your profile pic) As soon as you get it on head straight out the door. Start with 15min intervals and work up. Then always finish with the tastiest treat. Sometimes i tell echo we are now going home for an almond if i need him to hold on a bit longer in harness.

Best of luck and please post your progress. We all learn how to communicate better with our birds.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think im the lucky one. I waited so long to get him after loosing my quaker. He brightens my everyday and is always 'helping' with everything.

I feel guilty that i push him so hard sometimes. Like he gets a bit sick in the car. He is petrified of push bikes riding past atm. Im helping him confront and concur this new issue. Its just that if i dont see it coming before he does i can't talk him through it. He really freaks and its the only time he tries to take off (thank god for harness). But hes better. We are working on him hiding from them rather than flying off.

Oh you can do it!! Taco will love it once he figures out what its all about. Have a look at flightsuits by avian fashions. They look much more comfortable for smaller birds than an aviator harness plus collect poop.
(Sorry im presuming based on your profile pic) As soon as you get it on head straight out the door. Start with 15min intervals and work up. Then always finish with the tastiest treat. Sometimes i tell echo we are now going home for an almond if i need him to hold on a bit longer in harness.

Best of luck and please post your progress. We all learn how to communicate better with our birds.
My cockatiel is Kraz, Taco is my macaw :D
Thank you so much for the advice!!

Best of luck to sweet Echo overcoming his fear of push bikes! :cantwait: You're an amazing parront and teacher, I'm sure you can work through it together!