• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

High blood pressure, needing medical explination

Atous

Strolling the yard
Hi guys,

I was hoping someone might be able to explain some medical health things a little to me. My Kiki passed away last friday as he was being groomed when we were picking him up from being boarded. The vet called today with the results of his necropsy and she said something along the lines of:

He had an indicator of a high blood pressure problem and because of this his little heart was beating so fast, because he was excited to see us after a few days and the general excitement of being groomed, that he basically gave him self an embolism?

I dont really understand and I was trying to not cry on the phone and just accepted what was being told to me with out trying to really understand it. It has been a very stressful few days and I am having a hard time not blaming myself for all of this.

If anyone can maybe expalin some of this to me, I would appreciate it.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
High blood pressure is a result of clogged arteries and can cause heart disease, attacks or strokes . An embolism is caused by a blood clot or some other type of blockage in a main artery.

All living creatures are born, live and die. It's the circle of life and has been for millions of years. Sorry that I can't explain it any better. I do understand and accept that one day I will die and there is nothing I can do to change that.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
As I read this it sounds like stress played a part in this sad death. The embolism part is a blood clot inside of a blood vessel causing partial or complete blockage. Thus the heart and or lungs are not able to function. Budgies are very prone to stress. My avian vet is very careful when he examines my budgies or does any kind of treatments. I am very sorry this happened to him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so very sorry that you lost Kiki.

My jasper had high blood pressure along with her atherosclerosis. The high blood pressure is under control now with her medication Benazipril and a low fat diet. She had an embolism at one time and it was discovered on xrays as causing an aneurism - that was the only time during my 18 years of having Jasper, and her being chronically ill for the entire time, that the Dr. told me that Jasper could die at any moment, from the aneurism. If the aneurism (caused by a embolism) were to rupture, she would have bled out quickly - and nothing to do about it. At the next xray the aneurism had disappeared. The Dr. did not know why.

Some things are not curable by us and some things are just deadly.

Remember your Kiki with happiness that you had your time together and believe that he is flying high and free with all of our birds that have gone before. My Hank is there with him.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have no medical expertise but I am very sorry for your loss.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Hi guys,

I was hoping someone might be able to explain some medical health things a little to me. My Kiki passed away last friday as he was being groomed when we were picking him up from being boarded. The vet called today with the results of his necropsy and she said something along the lines of:

He had an indicator of a high blood pressure problem and because of this his little heart was beating so fast, because he was excited to see us after a few days and the general excitement of being groomed, that he basically gave him self an embolism?

I dont really understand and I was trying to not cry on the phone and just accepted what was being told to me with out trying to really understand it. It has been a very stressful few days and I am having a hard time not blaming myself for all of this.

If anyone can maybe expalin some of this to me, I would appreciate it.

I am so sorry you lost Kiwi. It is always hard losing a FID that you love dearly. A little part of you dies with your FID.

Actually the root cause of high blood pressure is a simple essential mineral deficiency and the root cause of an embolism is a deficiency of EFA's - Essential Fatty Acids. This is one thing that all living creatures have in common, that we all need essential nutrients. Most of us don't get them due to the changes that have taken place in our soils over the decades. They have simply been depleted. I have an informative website on this subject if you are interested. DO90-4LIFE.COM

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please don't blame yourself. This may have happened even without the grooming. It's good to ask questions here but when you feel that you can talk give the vet a call and discuss what happened and ask more questions.
So sorry for your loss.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
It amazes me how nutrition plays such a vital role in health or lack of health not only in humans but animals too. When you think about it we have bird pellets, rabbit pellets, monkey pellets, dood food, cat food, turtle food, fish food and on and on the list goes and each of them have 100% of the essential nutrients necessary for them yet human infant formulas contain less than 20%!! A far cry from the 90 required to develope and sustain a healthy and desease free long life. Scary stuff at how bad our healthcare system has failed us!

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
It amazes me how nutrition plays such a vital role in health or lack of health not only in humans but animals too. When you think about it we have bird pellets, rabbit pellets, monkey pellets, dood food, cat food, turtle food, fish food and on and on the list goes and each of them have 100% of the essential nutrients necessary for them yet human infant formulas contain less than 20%!! A far cry from the 90 required to develope and sustain a healthy and desease free long life. Scary stuff at how bad our healthcare system has failed us!

I'm not convinced that processed foods are that good for animals / humans. Especially artificial and synthetic vitamins, minerals and nutrients.

Science is indicating that these types of artificial and synthetic vitamins, minerals and nutrients are causing health disorders.

Fresh is Best

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
I'm not convinced that processed foods are that good for animals / humans. Especially artificial and synthetic vitamins, minerals and nutrients.

Science is indicating that these types of artificial and synthetic vitamins, minerals and nutrients are causing health disorders.

Fresh is Best

The point was that animal foods have all the nutrients they need but not human baby formula. Obviously fresh is best but tell me where you can get the 90 essential nutrients from the soil? You can't it has been depleted ever sincesThomas Edison threw the switch to the first electric generator in New yook. And since we don't cook with wood anymore and throw our wood ash in the garden the nutrients are not being replaced. The only place to get them is in humic shale protected by a protective crust. The point was that we produce nutrified food providng close to 100% of what they need for animals but only 20% for humans. If you want to get some eye openng information go check the website referenced earlier or email me and I can send you some video links detailing a great deal of information. Nutrition is my main business! I agree that most if not all disorders and diseases are man made and can be reversed with proper nutrition.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sad about Kiwi but least you have some sort of answer. Boarding, grooming or any change for a bird is stressful. So it could have happened at home too as birds get scared very easily from the simplest drop of an object or sudden sound. Even the vaccuum...

:sadhug2:

The point was that animal foods have all the nutrients they need but not human baby formula. Obviously fresh is best but tell me where you can get the 90 essential nutrients from the soil? You can't it has been depleted ever sincesThomas Edison threw the switch to the first electric generator in New yook. And since we don't cook with wood anymore and throw our wood ash in the garden the nutrients are not being replaced. The only place to get them is in humic shale protected by a protective crust. The point was that we produce nutrified food providng close to 100% of what they need for animals but only 20% for humans. If you want to get some eye openng information go check the website referenced earlier or email me and I can send you some video links detailing a great deal of information. Nutrition is my main business! I agree that most if not all disorders and diseases are man made and can be reversed with proper nutrition.

Its not simple & gardening takes more than just some wood ashes.

Mom has a fireplace so she does some heating with burninig wood & she has ash. We have access to sheep, cow & horse & at times chicken manure Ooh & kangaroo...LOL

Not everyone lives on or near a farm

Can't be sure what the introduction of all the chemical fertilizer is doing to our food but we need to feed a huge population on depleted land areas.

My moms friend swears oat grass cured his colon cancer...

Time for some oat sprouts...

I do try to buy organic produce at least that which grows in the soil or has no protective covering.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@BirdManDan No offence, but that site you listed has PTSD listed as one of the things a proper diet can cure? That... really isn't how PTSD works. PTSD is caused by psychological trauma and requires therapy, not a diet. It's not your body that's broken, it's a crippling, recurring fear of pain and suffering. I wouldn't go promoting that site. People with PTSD need their medication and therapy, what that site is promoting could actually cost someone's life.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
BirdManDan
I had a look at the website DO90-4LIFE.COM-YOUNGEVITY - Supplement, Parrot, Nutrients | DO90-4LIFE.COM-YOUNGEVITY and noticed that a Dr Joel D. Wallach was mentioned. So I did a search on him. It seems that he is a fraud and this link is a very critical look at him and his theories.

A critical look at Youngevity & Dr Joel Wallach - EXPOSED

Nutrient Depletion

One of the most concerning pieces of information that Wallach gives us is that not only is our food supply depleted of minerals (which leads to all the diseases known to man) but the U.S. government have the evidence, in the form of Senate Document 264. In reality, this 'senate document' is merely the reprinting of an opinion piece written by a farmer in the 1930's published in Cosmopolitan magazine which subsequently caught the attention of a Florida senator. It was not based on any study or scientific evidence at all. The document was located by Donald Davis who reported his findings to the Townsend Letter and brought it to the attention of the National Council Against Health Fraud who subsequently published warnings to consumers to be wary of supplement companies basing claims on this 'senate document'. [19]

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Camelotshadow.
Do you have a Kangaroo?

Yes, we have some Kangaroos. I personally saw 3 that like to roam around the ranch house last time I was there. We have horses & goats too. Used to have sheep & neighbors have cows...
Even guarana roam & the brown snake if you are unlucky enough so there is a lot of chit around!!!!