• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Higgins Safflower Gold??

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I am getting beyond frustrated with feeding my Paco. The first 2 months he was afraid of the veggies and fruit and then ate pretty much what I gave him. He would toss the leafy greens and still does. GRRRR Now he has decided from day to day he doesn't like anything. Sometimes he likes grapes the next day he doesn't, same with banana's. Loved red peppers, now he won't touch them. What is a parrot mom to do?

I was weaning him off of bird seed, he was on Hartz Parrot good, (cringe) I was giving him small amounts of Harvest Blend, with Lafeber's Nutri Berries and Avid Cakes, used to through the Avi Cakes but is now eating them. He still gooble up the Harvest Blend, no peanuts or sunflower seeds, he likes the small white seeds, safflower? That is why I posted previously is he getting enough to eat. I tried to soak lentils they never sprouted, will see if I can find a health food store in this country bumpkin area I live in. He accidently ate a pellet that had grapes squished over them.

So my search in nutrisous food continues. What about Higgins Safflower Gold? No peanuts or sunflower seeds, the web has mixed reviews.

Oh help me ole wise ones here in the group, I want to make sure he is fed healthy food.

He is coming out of his shell, starting to sit out on top of cage every day and is looking around the room more, sliding down the sides of his cage to get a better view of his world and is quite a chatter box some days.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Need to add to my post, I did a large look at this seed, there are peanuts, but I guess I could remove them. What about corn?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad to read he's starting to get comfortable and you're seeing his inquisitive personality.

If the safflower seeds entices him to eat, I would offer Lafeber's. It has the seed they like along with pellets and vitamins. Have you tried birdie bread? Harrison's makes a birdie bread mix that uses their pellet formula in a mash form. You could also sprinkle some safflower seeds into some fresh cut veggie/grain mix to get his beak into it. He may taste some good stuff when he goes to eat the seed.

Last edited:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Good idea, I made some corn bread muffins and had some left over when I first got him and he loved them. He does love the Lafeber's at first he threw the berries but now I say want a berry and he eagerly waits for one.

He is really becoming a character, he has now learned bye bye and get in your cage, with the help of a bribe, his fav an almond. Happy dance!

We tried cucumber tonight, nope, yellow squash, nope, did go for carrot stick!

He has come a long way and I couldn't be happier. We are getting to know each other better and better every day. He now plays with his bell. I truly did not realize he was that scared. I knew my other Amazon was, but this guy was to scared to move. So glad he is opening up.

Thank you all for your continue support and my ever ending questions.