• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Higgins Mayan Harvest

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Okay all, I know we don't generally like packaged food stuffs, but I am running out of one of the three things I put in my boy's bowls every day. It's my little bit of seed, pasta, some nuts... mix. Anyone use Higgins? Yay or Nay?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I use Higgin's Worldly Foods. I mix it with cooked brow rice and quinoa in the morning. Jasper likes African Sunset best tnen she likes the Tuscan ? next best.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Higgins Mayan harvest Yucutan mix is the seed mix I have fed for a couple years now

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I used to love Higgins Mayan Harvest Yukatan for conures. They have new packaging & along with that have removed alot of the goodies...no more cherries & it just is not as full of the good stuff & the ingredient list is about half as long as it used to be!!!!!

Very disappointed but it still is on e of the better ones!!!!!

:extremeanger::crycry2:

Last edited:

Rolanda

I ordered it and the boys like it. The apples gross me out because they are still kind of soft and the herbs and small bits stick to them. I throw them away.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad they like it! I have used Higgins Worldly Cuisines Moroccan Cafe, and my birds love it. I sometimes add a little dehydrated chop to it for some extra veggies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I used to love Higgins Mayan Harvest Yukatan for conures. They have new packaging & along with that have removed alot of the goodies...no more cherries & it just is not as full of the good stuff & the ingredient list is about half as long as it used to be!!!!!

Very disappointed but it still is on e of the better ones!!!!!

:extremeanger::crycry2:

I still have a bag in the freezer and it will probably last me 6 months with how little I feed seed. I just looked up the ingredients; while I will miss some of the stuff they removed, overall I actually like the ingredients more.

I am glad they got rid of the sunflower seeds. That was actually my biggest hang up with it. They also removed salt, and about half of what they removed was flavors, preservatives, and vitamins, which were uneded anyways. And they never eat the anise pieces so no loss there!

Old: Safflower Seed, California Sunflower, Hulled Oats, Roasted Soybean, Flaked Carrot, Shelled Sunflower Chips, Flaked Corn, Buckwheat, Cantaloupe Seed, Grey Millet, Spring Wheat, White Millet, Milo, Orande Lentils, Pumpkin Seed, Hemp Seed, Pine Nuts, Canary Seed, Cashew Pieces, Dehydrated Banana Pieces, Dehydrated Black Beans, Mung Beans, Kafir, Dehydrated Cherries, Cracked COrn, Juniper Berries, Pinto Beans, Sweet Potatoes, Date Pieces, Dehydrated Apple Pieces, Pepitas, Sweet Peppers, Whole Star Anise, Bee Pollen, Chives, Fennel Seed, Sodium Bicarbonate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Cyanocabalamin (Cource of Vitamin B-12), L-Lysine HCL, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacinamide, D-Biotin, D-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Copper Sulfate, Tannic Acid, Flavors, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Cobalt Sulfate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Lactobacillus Acidophillus Fermentation Product, Lactobacillus Lactis Fermentation Product, Menadione Dimethyl Pyrimidinol Bisulphite (Source of Vitamin K3) , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride.

New: Safflower, Oats, White Millet, Red Milo, Wheat, Bananas, Pumpkin Seeds, Buckwheat, Canary Seeds, Hemp Seeds, White Milo, Star Anise, Roasted Soybeans, Mung Beans, Lentils, Apples, Cashews, Coconut, Dates, Dehydrated Black Beans, Cranberries, Juniper Berries, Dehydrated Pinto Beans, Raisins, Flaked Carrots, Papaya, Flaked Peas, Fennel Seeds, Spearmint, Algea Meal, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The few cherries were a nice addition.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I love Higgin's products, Worldly Cuisines and their cockatiel food. my birds chow down on almost all of the cuisines. buy the ones you cook on the stove yourself. I have not had good results with the microwave version.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
My flock loves the Wordly Cuisines African Sunset and I can't say that it smells bad, haha.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, I feed the elderly babies that...trying to keep weight on Elvis and Hachi...plus their time is limited so they get to be spoiled. Although they both favor the nutri-an cakes from the vet luckily. I also give the others seed treats about once or twice a week.​