• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi

skip51

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone. First time on this forum and would like to let you know a little about myself and my wife. We have owned two parrots previously - a Nanday conure (for 24 yrs) and a blue-head pionus (20 yrs). Unfortunately, our pionus passed away recently and we are in the process of buying a black-head caique. I say in the process, since we are having our bathroom and basement remodeled, and we didn't want to bring a new bird into that commotion to add to the stress of being brought into a new environment. He has been hand-raised and is now 11 months old. The breeder likes to have her new babies (after weaning) get used to being around people and being handled, so the owner will be getting a bird that is used to being handled. With no experience with a caique, could you suggest a good book (or books) on the care and feeding of a caique? Thank you in advance for your assistance, and we are looking forward to talking and sharing experiences with all of you.

Skip

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I don't know about books, but you can start with this thread: The good, the bad, and the ugly about caiques | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

And some of the members with caiques can answer some of your questions. :) Not sure what the personality differences are between black headed and white bellied, so I'll just start tagging folks. @Laurie @saroj12 @WendyN @Tim @Irishj9 @finchly

...and I'm not going to tag @Fritzgerald16 because Mia isn't feisty enough to be a real caique. I'm convinced she has somehow found a way to animate a plush toy. :xflove:

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I dont know any books on caique feeding, but I can give you some pointers.....

An 11 month old caique is already fully weaned, so find out what he is eating at his current home, and replicate it so that he is not shocked by the move

Caiques have a notoriously sweet tooth, monitor their fruit intake. Veggies first in the morning, fruits only later in the day

Restrict seeds, unless a very high quality one like Versele Laga. NO SUNFLOWER SEEDS. Very few nuts ( high in fat)

After that, run riot, They can eat toast, scrambled egg, all kinds of pastries, LOADS of chopped veggies, and will try to eat off your plate

NO salt, NO chocolate

He WILL create a mess. Get used to it lol