• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hi

jimmyc

Moving in
hi I'm new to birds and this forum and would like to say hi to everyone, I have a condure, I'm not sure of sex but had it for 15 months,it does rotation,summersaults,and is magic,weve had the wings clipped and would like to do it ourselves as the shop has closed down,she likes chips and treats, not chocolates,she gets on with our rotty and all is good,beek is a bit sharp,and she is content walking round with me on my shoulder,inside and out,i help her plume herself,just squeeze the tubes a little ,as not to hurt her, any advice would be appreciated regards jim

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your feathered friend.

A few things...chips and those sorts of things really aren't good things to feed to a bird. Rotties have a strong prey drive, and you really shouldn't let your bird and dog interact at all....just a split second is all it takes for a disaster to occur.

Also...your bird should be IN A HARNESS when going outside! An unforeseen thing could happen, a stiff breeze for example, and carry her away from you.

I hate being so negative, but we all want only the best for your bird and you. The things I mentioned are safety issues...

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Like what cassiedads said, harness if going out or in a carrier. ONLY safe fruits and veggies along with quality pellets. Please don’t feed chips and other junk food. As for clipping the wings, please have a licensed Avian Vet show you how first if you wish to keep them clipped. If you haven’t seen a Vet, I recommend doing so as soon as possible. If you don’t know of one in your area, we can help.
I also hope you are not letting your conure climb on your dog and whatnot. Tragedy can come from that.

Welcome and we’d love to see pics of your bird!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Agree with @cassiesdad regarding the chips as well as your Rottweiler and walking around outdoors without a harness or without being in a carrier. Never know when your bird might get spooked and take off. Even if your bird's wings are clipped they can still get some lift especially if there is an updraft.
What is your conure's name? Post a photo when you get a chance.

jimmyc

Moving in
Thanks for reply’s, he is really good with bird but I allways watch just in case , I’ll look into harness and why and when would I take her to vet ??? Is there anything I should keep my eye out for ? Regards jim

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Just because he is a good bird doesn’t mean something still can’t happen. A gust of wind could grab him under his wings and take him off. A bigger bird can swing down and get him, or he could spot something/get spooked and take off. It’s just not worth the risk. Several people have lost their birds due to this and thinking “mine won’t do that” and then they do. It happens. Better to not give it a chance to happen.

As for the vet, you need to take him yearly for vaccines, blood work, gram stains, ect. Birds hide their illnesses very well and you might not realize something until it’s too late.

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Aww, great pic! Hope you don’t mind me asking how you trained your bird? I’m just curious because I’m partly in the process of training my budgies and was hoping for any tips for training.

I know it’s not the same type of bird and that is an obvious wall there but I’m just looking for any tips in general.

Sorry to bother you with that..

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, your bird is adorable, and it’s obvious she’s very well loved! The best way to ensure that she has a long life with you is to feed her well, keep her safe when outside, don’t let your dog near her at all, and take her to an avian vet for yearly check ups. You’ll have to post videos of the things you’ve taught her!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's a good idea to have your bird get a wellness check by an Avian vet....schedule one as soon as you can, since you've had her for 15 months. You want to establish a good relationship between you, your bird, (who is adorable, by the way!) and the vet.

What you cutie's name?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Jewels! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Welcome to the forum! Your bird is adorable and you guys already seem like good friends! :)

Everyone else pretty much said it all. One thing I would like to add is chocolate is a no-no for birds, as are chips and that sort of thing. Millet and almonds and stuff like that are good treats for birds.

I know that you will find a lot of tips and advice here on AA. I have been here since November and people have already helped me out a ton (and not only with bird stuff!).

As for the vet, it is best that you take her as soon as possible. As others have stated, birds hide their illnesses so an annual vet visit is highly suggested. Some signs of illnesses include:

• If the bird is hanging out a lot on the bottom of the cage
  • If the bird is acting strange (not eating, not playing, is unusually quiet)
  • If the bird's feathers are constantly fluffed up and the bird isn't acting like herself)

Hope this helps!