• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi there!

toolady2peach

Moving in
Real Name
Cambria Douglass
I'm new to owning M2's but have worked with birds at local rescues and fostering. I have been living with Peachy for about 2 weeks now and things are off to a really good start! I knew how loud they were and I made sure my husband and kids did too! Thankfully we are kind of a loud family ourselves and the noise doesn't bother us, however I think we have been blessed as she is only really loud in the AM and PM with some calls here and there. Nothing incessant (yet) and her previous owners said the same. She is 13 years old and is a really sweet girl. Only biting me if my hair is down hey! I figure I'll have time to work on that ‍♀ But in all seriousness that is an issue, I'm sure I'll have to just condition her and the sooner the better but itd 's been easier to just keep my hair up. Right now I'm sitting on the couch and I just let my hair down. She's all the way on the other side of the house in the great room but she can see me and she just got down from her perch and started talking and yelling. This is all typical too behavior from what I've read! And now she's fine and she's tearing up her phone book. I've been taking it slow and I expect nothing from her... all I want is to give her the best life possible. I already love her with all my heart ❤
We have been to the vet and she's in excellent health, we did blood work and I'm waiting to hear back. She's on zupreem natural pellets and I've been trying to introduce her to lots of fresh fruits, sprouted grains, veggies, a species appropriate mix including reginonal nuts, fruits, seeds, insects, veggies, grains etc.. and doing this all while trying to incorporate as much of this into foraging opportunities as possible. Some of the mash, wet fruits and spout mixes prove hard to incorporate- any ideas? She has a small plastic foraging box that I can cut up fruits and veggies and put them in there, I ordered one of those leather pockets with holes, I use stainless steel ball with a parrot safe bell in the center to stuff with pellets and mix- I also sometimes just hide it around in the bottom of the top of her cage playstand.

Sometimes I have trouble getting her to eat stuff out of a bowl (like mashed etc..) any tips?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Peachy! :)

It sounds like you've got a good plan of action with Peachy and you're working your plan! An idea about eating..."model" eating out of her bowl...let Peachy see you "eating'...and make sure you let her know how good the food is. This actually works..after all, if a member of the flock (you) thinks it tastes good, then it must be good..;)

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:welcomeflag:to the avenue! sounds like both of you are off to a great start!:)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:
I'm glad you were able to give Peachy a nice home. You'll have to post pictures!

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I also agree with cassiesdad about the eating. My gonzo won’t eat anything new until he sees it, but once he starts to like the food he’ll eat it by himself. But for some foods that might not look as interesting it might take a bit more time. And there are things that I have noticed gonzo just doesn’t like, like my socks. So far, it seems he will eventually get over it, but your too is a little older so I’m not sure. But Good luck and congrats on your new M2!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:welcome2: I hope you enjoy your time here:)

I agree with the idea of show her how yummy/good by eating it yourself. As for the wearing your hair down is it possible there was someone in her past that she didn't like that always wore her hair down? I've had that happen to me where a bird didn't like me because I looked like someone in his past he didn't like. I'd start with only give her treats with your hair down. And work your way up with doing things she likes with your hair down. Does she like baths for example?

Best of luck with Peachy :)

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Don't stress about the food too much. Miss Coco (also an M2) didn't eat much at all when we first got her. After 7 years, we learned that she eats only when she wants. Oh, and she loves gourmet food and she's not starving. This is my bad luck.

Cassiesdad gave good advice. Our birds don't all like the same food, but the flock behavior is conducive to their eating. And welcome!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking Peachy into your home. None of my birds will eat mashes and I've tried several times but don't give up. You could also make Peachy some birdie bread. Will she eat some of the fresh fruits/veggies if you hand them to her?

toolady2peach

Moving in
Real Name
Cambria Douglass
We just got this custom playstand made for her! It's made out of dragonwood and I am super excited to pick it up this week! And here is a picture of my beautiful Georgia Peach!

toolady2peach

Moving in
Real Name
Cambria Douglass
Also she seems to be terrified of the ground! She won't let me put her anywhere near the ground... I am assuming this is normal for only being here 2 weeks... from all my research, a Busy 'too is a quiet 'too! She is very good about playing by herself, and I have done my homework on foraging and enrichment activities
but I'd love to hear your favorites for your birds!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Peachy is beautiful.