1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, new new new...sparkling new

Discussion in 'Welcome Lane' started by melissa68, 5/13/19 at 9:46 AM.

1. melissa68

melissa68 Moving in

Hi everyone,

I'm Melissa and joined hoping to get lots of information. I'm not a bird mom yet and I've never owned a bird before. I was a dog mommy for almost 14 years and I owned a dog daycare/cage free boarding facility too. I was also a cat mommy for 18 years (owned from babies to death)

Since my two dogs passed 4 years ago I've been an 'empty nest'. I am feeling the need to mommy something lol. I LOVE feeding, caring for, and watching the outside birds so I decided I want to be a bird parent.

I have no animals or kids/grandkids and I work from home! I have lots and lots of time to spend on and with my new bird.

In my research, I decided that a cockatiel may be best for me but I'm not sure. I was all set on getting a baby cockatiel and was reading about the hormonal behavior and thought maybe adopting an older bird would be a good thing! lol

I applied to adopt at Florida Parrot Rescue and I will leave it up to them to pick the bird that would be a good fit for me and if nothing, I will purchase one from a reputable breeder.

I'll hold off buying a cage until I know what type of bird I will be getting.

I had at least 60 toys in a cart on Amazon until I read the 'dangerous toys' thread. Cheese Whiz that is a scary thread. Now I don't know what kind of toys to get...

I ordered some furniture grade PVC and plan on building this gym (sans toys until I find some good ones):
    bird play gym.PNG

So just saying "HI" and wondering if you have any insight on what would be a good bird for me.

2. hrafn

hrafn Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Welcome to the flock.jpg

faislaq and cassiesdad like this.
  3. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Welcome to the forum! Cockatiels are wonderful birds. Very sweet, laid back, etc. And thank you so much for considering adoption. There are so many birds out there in need of a good homes.

4. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Tricia
    Welcome Aboard! We're so glad you're here! Please check out our wonderful vendors. They're all superb at their crafts and the quality can't be beat. I personally dont sell anything, but I count on them for just about everything. You'll have your beautiful stand outfitted in no time!

5. Zara

Zara Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    Welcome to the forum Melissa :fairy2:

I hope all goes well with the rescue centre :)

Most toys, even ¨safe¨ ones can be dangerous. What is safe for one, is not for another... then there are the freak accidents.
    But it is good to be aware of the hazards each toy can present.

Here´s the link: List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

6. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Ripping up the road Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    Welcome to the Avenue! :)

Cockatiels are an excellent species...whether if you're getting your first bird...or 60th bird. ;) And again, thank you for considering adoption...there is nothing better than to give a bird a second chance. :thumbsup:

And yes, check out our listings of vendors...good people they are. They will gladly assist you in choosing great things for your upcoming addition...:D

faislaq, EkkieLu and sunnysmom like this.
  7. Kimberla

Kimberla Jogging around the block

Welcome to the Avenue!! Glad you are here. There are lots of people with tons of good information. I have had a variety of birds over the years. Cockatiels are great little birds. I had a male 12 years ago that we name Hawkeye and he was a wonderful little guy!! He loved to be loved and he talked and whistled whenever he was up and about the house.

8. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Welcome to AA and best of luck on your search for a feathered friend.

9. greys4u

greys4u Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Welcome, you mentioned a rescue, why not volunteer there and spend some time with the birds, your heart bird will find you.

faislaq, Leih, MommyBird and 2 others like this.
  10. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    Welcome, and enjoy the site!

faislaq likes this.
  11. Cynthia & Percy

Cynthia & Percy cockatoo mania Super Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

cynthia
    welcome

faislaq likes this.
  12. Leih

Leih Sprinting down the street

Leih Pearson
    Welcome! Just a word of caution, birds are addictive. I got my first last year and I now have 4! :laugh:This is my max capacity, but obviously I really enjoy having them. :heart: I'm excited to see what bird finds you!

faislaq likes this.
  13. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Karen
    This is a wonderful idea! You can read about species all day long, but getting to know a few individuals would either help you choose or at least help you learn better what you do and don't like. :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)