• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi! New breeder here... with a problem :-(

Marina Engan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marina Iren Engan

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have given sprouted seeds to my adults and the older chicks, and they love it! So you are 100% right there :) But I have one question... at what age can a chick be introduced to sprouted seeds?

I would say that before the chicks are born, when you would switch the parents diet over to sprout, grains, legumes and vegetable based. I have spoken with breeders who do put their breeding pairs onto a special diet during breeding season, although it's been a while since I've spoken with these breeders about how they feed their breeders.

Otherwise, as soon as the babies start exploring and nibbling on things, if not a tad before then. ;)

Hopefully it was just a one off thing with the parents. Sounds like the bird situation over there is "similar". Worse in some ways, but maybe better in others?

If you knew the entire situation about the tiel that they "forgot" to feed, you'd be quite disgusted as well! I mean, that's not even half of it! Sickening. :( But she's doing far better now a days! :)

Marina Engan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marina Iren Engan
I would say that before the chicks are born, when you would switch the parents diet over to sprout, grains, legumes and vegetable based. I have spoken with breeders who do put their breeding pairs onto a special diet during breeding season, although it's been a while since I've spoken with these breeders about how they feed their breeders.

Otherwise, as soon as the babies start exploring and nibbling on things, if not a tad before then. ;)

Hopefully it was just a one off thing with the parents. Sounds like the bird situation over there is "similar". Worse in some ways, but maybe better in others?

If you knew the entire situation about the tiel that they "forgot" to feed, you'd be quite disgusted as well! I mean, that's not even half of it! Sickening. :( But she's doing far better now a days! :)

Of course we have serious breeders and bird owners here as well, but the normal attitude to animals are bad. It's not unusal to see owners kicking their dogs and nobody reacts to it. Things like that sickens me... :crycry:I don't understand how anybody can treat an animal so badly. I will keep on searching for parrots to adopt... If I could help just one little feathered friend I would be so happy. :smileflower:
I am lucky to have a great relationship with the breeder of my male, Cariño, he is so helpful and a serious breeder with a lot of knowledge and contacts with other breeders.

I will make sure that my breeding couples get a healthy diet when they start laying eggs. I usually give them hard boiled eggs with a well crushed shell every day during the breeding period. I'm very thankful for your advise... and I will keep it in mind. I am actually copying the advises I get and putting it all together in a document. That way I can easily find it again if or when I need it.

These parents are actually very good parents and very protective. Especially the father.. he guards his "wife" and children like a police :) He has a lovely personality and his offspring seems to inherit it.

It pleases me to hear that your tiel is doing better and that she was rescued from the situation she was in. :ygg:

Marina Engan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marina Iren Engan
MY WORK

Skärmavbild 2017-02-20 kl. 18.48.08.png

My little workshop and some of the things I have made. My tiels use them all so I can safely say that everything has been approved
:agreed:
Min verkstad.jpg verktyg.jpg

Activitycenter
Aktivitetslåda.jpg Lekpark.jpg Flätat gunga.jpg

korkgunga.jpg Bordstativ.jpg Stege.jpg

Rutschkana.jpg Upphäng på bur.jpg

Våg.jpg
I made this perch for the scale... It's a lot easier to weigh the chicks when they are able to sit on a perch.

Swings

Spiralgunga favvo.jpg Spiralgunga.jpg Triangelgunga.jpg
The swings are favorites, especially the spiral one on the left... Cessy can make it swing like crazy :)

Now you know a little more about me and what I do. I am fortunate to be able to work with my hobby.
And I get a lot of help from my feathered friends when I'm working :hammer:

Abetshjälp.jpg Anastacia jobbar.jpg

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
No wonder you have such a healthy flock, look at all the excersize they get! Awesome

Marina Engan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marina Iren Engan
No wonder you have such a healthy flock, look at all the excersize they get! Awesome

Thank you! They are a working part of my family :) They have to test all the toys I make and they don't seem to mind long working hours and low wages :-D
i have been thinking about teaching them how to clean up after them selves... But Alejandro claims that the vacuum cleaner is too heavy for them :marievacuums:Lazy Tiels!
8 tiels flying free in my living room at least 5-6 hours a day... Quite a lot of spilling to say the least . :shocking: