• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi! Joining because of my parrotlet

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Hello, I don't want to give my real name (although it is online in some places already...) but you can call me Lin (unless you want to say the long version...). I've been lurking for a few days, but I decided to join because I actually have quite a few questions about my new pet bird despite doing a lot of research... Anyway, I figured before that I should introduce myself a bit and say hello.

My family has had a lot of birds in the past but really just budgies, this is the first time I've had a bird that's really just "my" bird and not a family bird. I've only had her (I think it's a her anyway...) for a few days but she loves millet, broccoli and lettuce but is less than enthused about her seed mix. -_- I was worried about her the first day but she's already a lot more confident and playful and it's only been 4 days so it makes me happy. Not sure if she likes me yet but she's definitely less scared of me now. And seems to like looking at me a lot, like as I'm typing this. xD; Not sure if that's good or bad really... I hand feed her millet sometimes to get her used to me but trying to give her less millet so she eats her other food more...

Anyway I'll stop before I go on and on about my bird. x.x She's so cute. As for me... I'm a student still, but going to graduate from University soon. I like languages, I'm learning Mandarin.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you and your parrotlet are doing really well together.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your P'let! :)

P'lets are great birds...they do tend to have big personalities and are utterly fearless!

What is your little one's name...and we'd love to see pics of her...:)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:welcome2::hello1::howdy:

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Thanks for all the replies! Her name is Aria, and I'll try to post pics soon (will probably just change avatar to her... since really I only joined because of her and just have one bird xD; ). It'll be awkward if she turns out to be a boy though... She's a Pacific Parrotlet and she's a beautiful teal blue, with darker blue on her tail. Her body is light teal and her wings are darker teal, head is a bit darker teal too but she has no blue near eyes like males do so that's why I think she's female but... idk. Store said "70% chance a male" at first but when she talked to her coworker she then said "actually nevermind it's 100% sure a female" so.... a bit confused.

Aviana

Strolling the yard
Welcome!
It sounds like she already likes you. Keep building that trust. Veggies are great for parrotlets. I would see what other safe veggies she likes, to be sure she gets good nutrition. Mine loved broccoli, too.
I do not think our birds are hung up on names and pronouns, so it will not matter if it is a boy or girl. No awkwardness. :)

Linearis

Walking the driveway
I'd have lots of nice names if it were a boy though. xD; Also idk if she likes me really because she does try to eat my finger. Not sure how else to describe it, because she doesn't lunge at me and it's not forceful, it's like a small pinch as if she's trying to...eat me... x.x It doesn't hurt very much so for now I just let her. Happens mostly when I'm feeding her millet, she'll eat the millet and sometimes nibble my finger instead.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Aria! :)

A beautiful name, by the way...;)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Aviana

Strolling the yard
Also idk if she likes me really because she does try to eat my finger. Not sure how else to describe it, because she doesn't lunge at me and it's not forceful, it's like a small pinch as if she's trying to...eat me... x.x It doesn't hurt very much so for now I just let her. Happens mostly when I'm feeding her millet, she'll eat the millet and sometimes nibble my finger instead.
In my experience, that is a parrot thing. My birds have always particularly delighted in trying to pry my nails up. It has always been my correcting the bird, they stop for a bit, then they try to start again. They can totally like you and still do this.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting your parrotlet. What is his/her name?

Linearis

Walking the driveway
She's pretty confusing. xD She was trying to eat millet off cage ground and I kinda didn't want her to because there's also droppings there... so I gave her a small piece of millet from my hand instead, after she was done she came towards me and cage opening and then climbed onto my arm and walked to my hand. I put her back on a perch and she started trying to nibble me again, after pulling back a few times she started preening herself and every now and then she'd try to nibble my hand again, I wasn't moving my hand while she was preening I just left it there incase she wanted to climb back on and to get her used to me (I wasn't staring at her either, since I heard that can make them uncomfortable idk). She'd go from preening, to trying to nibble, to preening, rubbing beak against my skin, etc. x.x Is she trying to preen me or is it a sign to go away? It's not a big bite but I wonder if that's just because she's small, maybe when she's an adult she'd draw blood.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello::welcomeflag:!!!

The eating you thing sounds like it maybe what I call love nibbles. Not preening more like exploring you & like Aviana said mine often leads to the prying nail thing.

:congrats5: On your new birdy baby!!!

Rain

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They explore with their beaks. She’s checking out your hand. Maybe some millet will magically appear in it!

I use 2 controls with parrotlets, if they chomp down really hard I say “no bite” in a stern way but if they are exploring and get carried away I say in a sing-song voice “gentle beak, gentle beak”. Even a baby has to learn about that pressure, and we want them to believe we are VERY delicate.

By the way we love pictures so - let’s see some. ;)

Welcome to AA.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Aria is STUNNING!

...and yes, blue is my favorite color, also...:)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is really pretty! Her blue is stunning! :party:

I love her name Airia!

Yes they all need to learn strength, IMHO. Has/are you planning her 1st vet visit yet?

:grouphug: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My favorite too! And I love the name. My Gouldians all have music names but my parrotlets are snacks:
Skittles and Star(burst)

Linearis

Walking the driveway
I'll call the vet Monday to see when the availabilities are. I'm also slowly integrating her Java wood perches since I know the perches that came with the cage aren't very good... lately she's been sleeping on one of her good perches though. Guess she knows quality.