• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Hi I'm new here and have a sick Pionus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Healing thoughts and Prayers continue for Your Sweet fid-and :hug8::hug8::hug8:for You.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Lots of POSITIVE ENERGY coming your way....looking forward to hear what Dr. B has to say! :hug8:

abbydp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
Ok so we have a plan. I don't know if this is right or not but I feel like as long as she is still fighting, I have to fight with her. Spoke with Dr. B. He is confident in four options in order of possibility - asper, chlamydia, PDD, or microbacterium (I have no real idea about this last one or if that is even what he said - we were both on cell phones, so I couldn't really hear him). All are treatable except the last - that is fatal and calls for euthanization as it is communicable to humans and resistant to antibiotics. I think his first plan is asper. He feels she has two things going on, a major illness (one of those four) and then had a secondary infection. The initial antibiotic the first vet used was "the big guns" and likely knocked out the secondary issue, hence the quick, very substantial improvement in her weight and condition. She responded quickly and strongly to the injections - going from 142 to 170 within the 2 weeks. She couldn't hold it though, so we obviously have not found the right drug, right time limit, or right dosage for the underlying cause. He wants me to bring her with me on Monday to take a new x-ray, run current bloodwork, feed her, hydrate her, and start the drugs he decides on, likely the doxy she should have had in the first or at least second round when Newf gave me her asper experience and I asked for treatment. He said everything you guys have said about doxy being THE drug of choice and was not sure either why it was not used for Peep. Unless something else shows up to point him in a different direction he has a plan and a very concrete idea of what he suspects and how he wants to proceed. I felt much better about talking to him as he explained things, listened to me and seemed to be confident in what he wants to do. Nothing is guaranteed, and at this point anything has become very chronic so will be that much harder to get rid of. He has had very good luck treating PDD and providing substantial time and quality of life.

I don't want to put her through a lot of stress for nothing, but it is completely clear she will not get better on her own. I either treat her or put her down. He has given me an estimate that is affordable for all three days and everything he plans on doing. She will be at his clinic from Monday afternoon until Wednesday morning, so he will have time to run any tests, get results, start treatment and see how she responds before I take her 3 hours away again. The plan then is to get any meds from the vets here I live with, with strict instructions from him. If she is to get weekly doxy injections like Murlin did, it is not feasible to drive her 6 hours every week, so we would do it here. I did all of her initial injections, so we should be fine. I didn't expect a definitive "it is ... and we will treat it successfully with ..." but he is so much more confident in what he thinks and wants to do, I don't see how I can not try. It is not fair to her to linger like this much longer with no plan. She has some good time during the days, but mainly only sleeps and eats. She has had some really bad days lately as well. He said bring any favorite toys, but she doesnt even care about them now :(

I welcome any opinions, but please realize this is a really hard decision and I just want what's best for her. If he thinks she is too sick and treatment isn't promising we will quit on Monday and find out what beat us. If not then we will fight like h*ll and hope she is as tough as I think she is.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh I am sooo glad your getting her to Dr. B. I will pray with all my heart and strength that this will be the help you need to get her 100% better.

Ginger

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
I am praying for you and Peep. I hope she gets better!

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I know you will be happy with Dr. B. He is Risa's vet and I would definitely trust his recommendations. Keeping you and Peep in my prayers!

abbydp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
Birthday girl.jpg Its my birthday.jpg Thanks Nancy, Dana and Ginger. Monday can't come soon enough. She was 139 this am. I have never seen that before - never below 142. She seems pretty good today though. And BONUS - she made it to her birthday!!! Teeny tiny Peep is 9 today :heart:.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Happy Hatch Day Peep! It sounds like Dr B has a good plan of action. My thoughts are with all of you

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Oh, extra good thoughts and prayers for Peep on her birthday and over the weeks to come. So many hugs to you for fighting the good fight, she's a trooper and has so much to thank you for, I hope the following days and weeks will bring positive news. :hug8:

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
:heart:I am very happy for you that you have a plan and can move forward. Sounds like you found a good doctor. Is asper more a respitory infection? That is what I always thought. I will be praying for her recovery. Keep us posted we are all cheering for her!!

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I am so very happy to hear that he is still willing to try and help her even after all that she has been through. I will continue to keep her and you in my thoughts and prayers even more so now.

And happy birthday to you Peeps!! You are one amazing little green girl:hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:dance5:So glad you are bring her down here to Dr. B. and he is going to keep her to check her out! Keeping her in my prayers and Calming energy for you....have a safe trip and let us know how things are!:hug8:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
happy hatchday peep! I think about you two often :) hope you can help her get some meat on her bones. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.