• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Hi I'm new here and have a sick Pionus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I admire your determination and hers!!!!:hug8:

abbydp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
Peep was doing well this morning. She weighed 149 but I think she had eaten some. I got a good scare this afternoon, though. I got home from work and she was silent. That's not normal, she is usually begging as loud and insistant as possible. I realized when I got to her that her heater was off. She is ok, still a little ••••ed off I think, but ok. I have never seen her so puffed up, poor little girl was freezing. As far as I can tell the power went off today. I don't know how long it was off, but the heater did not come back on for at least 3 hours :( . I am sure that will cost her some weight at the very least. I got it heated up as quick as I could and have had the apartment heat up higher. I feel awful though and don't know how to make sure it doesn't happen again. Can spring please get here and stay???????????????

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't have a set back...giving her warm oatmeal might help a little if she will eat it...thinking about warming her up from the inside too!:hug8:

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
That was the second thing I did after the heat. I got her formula good and warm and she was happy to stuff her face. She did de-puff fairly quickly. She seems good tonight but I will be keeping an even closer eye on her (like that's possible!).

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hi Tara

Wow I have read up on your thread since January, lots to read, poor little girl. This must be so frustrating for you, good to see you are both fighters. I am a strong believer in herbs, I would recommend echanesia and astragalus (sorry for the spelling) these will help build the immune system and strengthen her. You can buy capsules in the health food store and add it to the formula or sprinkle on soft food. Garlic is another herb that is good for her health and also can be purchased in caps. Another product that I came across is from Australia called Orego-Stim which is made for avian and contains oregano oil - this stuff is amazing, it is antibacteria, antifungal, anti-virus. I had to special order it but I have had good results with this product.

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
I know you guys worry without an update and after the sad news about Carlos today just wanted to say we are still here and fighting. Little Peep is still little, only 144 yesterday. She hasn't had the best two days. She has been better in the afternoon than the mornings, I guess because it is warmer. I still have nothing to go on but am waiting on all the info to get to Dr. B for a consult. She is still eating both formula for me and on her own, but she feels like crap and isn't really gaining, just hanging in there. If he has any sort of an idea or hunch I can take her to him next week, but if not I am not going to subject her to a 3 hour ride that always stresses her out and a lot of maybe, hopefully find something torture tests. She has fought so hard for so long that torturous, stessful maybe isn't looking too appealing right now. She is still here though :)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Glad to hear she's hanging in there :)

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Tara, keep up the good work. Anxiously waiting to hear Dr. B's take on her condition. Hugs.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Aw, sure sorry to hear he still is not doing well. I know it is or has been a long journey of trying to get him well. :hug8: Wishing the very best for you all.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw make sure to keep her warm and many :hug8:coming!

poplrhill

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Hi Tara,
I just have to tell you -- I've been following this thread since you first posted about Peep, and I have so much respect and admiration for your dedication to her. You are going to be my role model is one of mine gets sick!

I'm pretty new to birds, so I don't have enough knowledge to be any real help, but I did want to let you know I live about 20 min. from Dr. B's office, and I have a guest house, and if you do wind up bringing Peep down to Dr. B, you are welcome to use the guest house, if it would help any. (Like if your appointment is early in the morning, you could stay in the guest house the night before so you don't have to get up and hit the road before dawn.) I know you don't know me, but I promise I'm not really weird or anything. ;) Plus, the guest house is completely private and has it's own kitchen/bathrooms/TV/carport, etc., so you could have as much privacy as you and Peep want.

Just an option I thought I'd throw out there, if it can help in any way. :hug8:

Best,
Lisa
& Forrest:ekkiem:
& Kiwi:sun:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many more hugs and positive thoughts on the way..:hug8:

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
More healing vibes and thoughts.

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
Thank you so much everyone! Lisa that is so incredibly genereous, thank you!! Dr. B says he has all the records, I am just waiting on a phone call to discuss it. I have to be in downtown Raleigh for work next week, so if I have to take her my company is putting me in a hotel so I should be covered this time. I would rather not take her that far and put her through that much stress unless something looks promising. We'll see what he says, though. Peep has been a little better. No major progress though.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thinking of you and little Peep today. :hug8:

poplrhill

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Hi Tara,
If things don't work out with your work trip, or if there is a need to bring her to the Durham area at a later date, the offer stands, if it would make things any easier for you guys. I sincerely hope Peep gets better ASAP, and would be honored if I could contribute in even a teeny way to the process. She is in so many people's thoughts and prayers (& you are too) & I think everyone can tell how special you are to each other.:)

I'll be crossing fingers & hoping & praying that she gets better soon!!!! Just let me know if I can be of help.

:hug8:
Best,
Lisa
& Forrest :ekkiem:
& Kiwi :sun:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:hug8::hug8:

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
You guys are all so very kind. This board is truly amazing. I will be forever grateful that I found it, no matter what happens. We have the consult scheduled for 3 tomorrow afternoon. I will let you all know where we stand after that. She is still hanging in there, no real changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.