• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Hi I'm new here and have a sick Pionus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Does anyone know what a long, good consult would cost with him?
Ginger, I know you have paid for a consult, do you remember what he charged?
Danita, I was thinking for her vet to call him and the two confer....I know vets do this with each other...:hug8:

abbydp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
I found his website and there is an ask the vet option. I have already emailed him with all of the information asking for a consult. I have a meeting about an hour from there on Wednesday so it is possible to take her with me if he would keep her overnight. Hopefully he will have something that can help. If not I can go to Dr. Morris in Va Beach. I will ask Dr. MacQueen if she would speak with him on Monday. She is closed today. I know she spoke with the vets at U of Miami, where we had the bloodwork done. I believe that is who suspected Chlamydia. The result of that was "this is likely a true negative."

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I sincerely hope that they can help you and Peeps. You both have been through so much. I will keep praying that someone can find out what is wrong with her soon.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I sincerely hope that they can help you and Peeps. You both have been through so much. I will keep praying that someone can find out what is wrong with her soon.
Me, also. Not a day goes by that I don't think about this little girl (and Tara, too)

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
Thank you so much everyone. It means more than I can say. The extra help I am getting right now from someone really special is getting me through it. She knows who she is :)

A consult with him is $150. I can do that or take her. It is a 3 hr drive each way, so I may have to start with the consult. The stress of that may be too much for her. She is down to 145 this am, but seems to feel a little better and is eating well.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I agree the phone consult is your best option right now rather than stress the bird with a long journey. Your consulting vet may have suggestions for tests you can run that are non evasive.

You have a special love for your bird and it shows.

gary

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
Hopefully I will have some info for you guys tonight. I have a bunch of tests being run right now. She was back down to 145 after being that Sunday, up to 147 yesterday but felt good this morning. When she is wound up she runs to the top of this perch on top of her cage for me to feed her. I have to stand on my tip toes to reach her. Usually she waits until she has had a mil or two. She was so wound up this morning she ran up there FEEEEEDDD MEEEEEEEE.jpg while the formula was still being made hollering at me and flapping like "HURRRYY UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP and FEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDD MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" Big Girl.jpg

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Tara, she is gorgeous!! the 'attitude' in those pics is encouraging!

looking forward to hearing the test results today

keeping you both in my prayers :hug2:

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
Thanks GG! Haha the body may be tiny but the last few days the TUDE is large!!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
:lol: you can see it just radiating off of her in those pics too!! :heart:

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
Well we are still at square one. The tests for all the usual suspects are negative. Most importantly though Peep was negative for Bornavirus. I know it could have just been a no shedding poop but it was taken on one of thinnest days ever, so would have likely been an active time for it. Since she has none of the classic signs I think it's probably reliable. He has a few more tests to get back tomorrow and will fax me the results so I can give them to the vets. I want to be happy about it but we still have nothing to treat. The appetite and 'tude are great tonight so we just keep going :/

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
One day at a time Tara :hug8: your dedication is astounding! You can tell you want her to not just live, but thrive. Big hugs for giving Peeps the best. :)

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:hug8: Man I hope you get some sort of conclusive results soon :hug8: Hang in there, your dedication fuels us all and helps us thrive to be the best we can with our own pets. Tons of :hug8::hug8:

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
Thanks guys!! It helps that I am REALLY stubborn. I am not sure which one of us is more stubborn, so we make a good pair. It does scare me though that it is something genetic or mechanical instead of disease that is not fixable.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I am glad to hear she is still her feisty self. I hope you get some news soon. I will be keeping you both in my prayers as always. For small sized birds, they sure have attitudes when they want to.:)

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
You are doing all you can and it shows. I have not read all the posts as there may be information on herbs to enhance appetite, have you tried any?

gary

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
I didn't hear anything new today. Little Peep still seems good, though. I had to leave the house before 5:30 this morning so we didn't weigh. It took enough just to get her to wake up to eat! Once she woke up though she ate well. She also ate more a couple of hours later for my boyfriend. Once she was done with both of us she went after her veggie bowl and the broccollini stems. Those are her new favorites, not much into the tops, just the inside of the stems, along with baby carrots and cashews. When I got home tonight she attacked me for formula, ate well, went to her nuts, then the veggies and then back for more formula. Yesterday when I got home I swear she ate for a solid hour. Whatever made her fade last week seems to have backed off for now. Who knows. Until something gets found though we just keep on with the bird stuffing routine hoping to make her a fatty again!

Gary she has never really needed anything to stimulate her appetite. She has never stopped eating. The only change was when she had gained a bit she didn't want much formula, she would run to her other bowls after a little bit and eat veggies/fruit or nuts. That's the frustrating part - the food just doesn't stick for long. She has always wanted it though.

Last edited:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
:dance5: appetite is GOOD! So glad to hear she is being feisty. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.