• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi can i make jardine parrot never bite me if i get him as a baby

yousef 482

Moving in
Real Name
Yousef
Hi guys this year I am going to get my first parrot but i am thinking about jardine parrot he is great for me but parrot but can I make him never or rarely bite me if I get him as a baby parrot and hand feed him because I asked another of people about that parrot and a large part of them that their jardine bite them but all if them got their parrots as adults or rescued parrot and.
if the parrot bite me is that mean that it hate me?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Birds that bite do not hate us. They are either frightened, of they are not being respected.

A lot of us live with birds that would bite us if we did not respect their boundaries and personal space, but we know not to make them do things they do not want, we can read their body language and can avoid bites.

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
Hi guys this year I am going to get my first parrot but i am thinking about jardine parrot he is great for me but parrot but can I make him never or rarely bite me if I get him as a baby parrot and hand feed him because I asked another of people about that parrot and a large part of them that their jardine bite them but all if them got their parrots as adults or rescued parrot and.
Parrots are not like dogs or cats, they can be tamed but are still wild animals. Some maturing and mature birds do go through certain periods whereby their hormones are high and they can display aggression for a period of time.
They do bite for various reasons, and fear is another reason they bite. Even if you get them as a baby, they are not immune to fear.
Another reason they bite is if you frequently force them to do something they don’t want to do. For eg, if it doesn’t want to go back into the cage, forcing it might also cause a bite to happen.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Biting usually happens when other body language has been ignored. Dogs will do the same thing. We're just more used to dog language because we've lived beside them for thousands of years. Bird language can sometimes be different from species to species! So it can take time to learn what different things means.

They communicate with their eyes, posture, feathers, and tail, and different combinations can mean different things.

To another bird, their language is loud and clear! So when us silly humans come by and we aren't listening, it's frustrating. If it's a message they don't want ignored, they might bite to send a stronger message.

Fear or jealousy can also be a factor.

Hatred is a human emotion as far as we know. We can condition animals to bite more by continuously ignoring their body language or repeatedly putting them in fearful situations, but that's not hatred.

I've been bit by every bird I've ever owned at least once (except Bosco, but he's only been here a bit under a year so give it time :lol:) My Quaker that I raised from a baby has bitten me more than any of the other 4 birds combined.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Birds that bite do not hate us. They are either frightened, of they are not being respected.

A lot of us live with birds that would bite us if we did not respect their boundaries and personal space, but we know not to make them do things they do not want, we can read their body language and can avoid bites.
I have a cockatiel just like that. He will not think twice about biting me if i do something he doesnt like . For example, he doesnt like his head and neck scratched like the other ones do. So, i dont do it and i wont get bit. Otherwise hes super lovable. He loves to snuggle up under my chin.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Please don't get an unweaned baby. Hand feeding will not make the baby bond to you despite what some breeders say. If you don't have bird experience, you really shouldn't start with hand feeding. Things can go wrong. Get a weaned baby or an adult in need of a good home.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I would actually suggest getting an adult - even if you get the youngest baby available, you’ll still have to go through the puberty phase which can be an absolute horror, and occasionally the bird will have a completely different personality than they did as a baby. @Shezbug has a good example with her macaw - he’s become a different bird after his puberty hit.

Get an adult. Puberty is over, the personality is established, and you can get a rescue and save a life.