• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Hi All

bird K

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi All,

I have had 2 budgies (one American and one English) who went away the same way this year - seizures and then stretching out their legs while taking their last breath.

The first was bought from a pet store - he was housed together with a lovebird and another budgie. His colours were more unique - grey body and yellow faced. I noticed that he was squeaking as compared to the other budgie (white body with blue markings) who shared the same age as him (approx. 5 weeks and unweaned when we got them) who could sing a simple melody.

The grey American budgie (whom I lost) continued to be hand fed milk twice a day. On the 6th day however, he had pasting on the vent and not long later on the same day, I found him on the cage bottom having a bout of seizure.

I took him out and placed him in a separate box. He did recover from the seizure but shut his mouth tight. We had no choice but to force feed him some hand formula and water mixed with apple cider vinegar. At that point, he still did not know how to eat millet. We left him to rest for the night and unfortunately he did not make it.

The pet store denied that they sold any sick birds. My question is could he be genetically weak with his unique colours? I was disheartened.

About 5 months later, I convinced myself to have another go with an English budgie (bigger in size) from a home breeder. He was weaned when I brought him home and defeacating well. The approximate age from what the breeder told me is one month.

He soon adjusted well into the household and was being quarantined from the other birds. Close to a month later, he was introduced to the other birds for short periods of time. Just two days ago, I noticed his tail bobbing but he was very active running about and eating the same food that the others was given. (Harrison's, TOP, Zupree
Fruit pellet, Egg food with quality seeds). The only difference perhaps was the absence of a cuttlebone in his cage.

On the morning that he passed, he was found on the cage bottom but still eating, occasionally dozing off. He would perch for awhile but have no strength.

I took him to a separate cage now to warm him up a little but in a few minutes he started to have spasms, just like my American budgie. The difference now was that in mere seconds, his heart stopped.

I can't bring myself to have another budgie. Is there something that I am doing wrong?

My concern was immediately my other birds that was exposed to the English budgie. If it was a spreadable disease then they would get affected too. They seem fine now and I have disinfected the things that have come into contact with the budgie.

I think I would not be getting a budgie in a long time to come. I am not ready to face another situation like this.

Thanks for reading this.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The grey American budgie (whom I lost) continued to be hand fed milk twice a day. On the 6th day however, he had pasting on the vent and not long later on the same day, I found him on the cage bottom having a bout of seizure.

If you were truly feeding your budgie "milk" that has a high likelihood of causing his death. Birds are not tolerant Of dairy products. They have none of the enzymes to digest lactose. Never feed a parrot dairy products.

There is no telling what caused your second bird's death without a necropsy being done. Had you taken either bird to a vet for a well bird checkup when you first got them? Any problems should have been picked up then.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
When a bird shows signs of illness you take it to the vet. Actually for anything out of the normal that worries you, you go to the vet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry for your losses, how heartbreaking. I don't know if anything contagious caused their illness, but if anything seems even a tiny bit wrong with your birds, you should take them to the vet asap. I hope your other birds are okay!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your losses. What types of pots and pans are you using? What types of home cleaning products are you using? Are you using any candles or scent products? What types of cages did they have? What other birds do you have?

Last edited:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's common for critically ill birds to have seizures in the moments of their death, regardless of the cause of the original illness. Obviously I am only guessing, but it sounds like the common theme here is failing to seek veterinary care soon enough when they began exhibiting signs of illness.