• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi All! My house is a zoo!

Mavet

Moving in
Hi everyone!

I'm the proud parrot slave of a rescued male blue-fronted amazon parrot, and will be adopting a rescued female blue and gold macaw early in June!

Joey is my amazon; he's 12 years old, and we've been together for just under 2 years. I've been keeping parrots for about 20 years in total now, though I started with cockatiels - such awesome underrated birds!

My house is essentially a zoo, as I have Joey, a gecko, 11 snakes (including a rescued boa constrictor), and nearly 100 arachnids, most of which are tarantulas, though there's also a scorpion and 3 vinegaroons. I guess that's what happens when you work 9 years at a reptile zoo, and then miss all the critters you used to work with upon heading off to grad school. ;)

A bit about me: I'm a zoologist working on my MSc. in evolutionary biology, and am vary active in the science communication arena - I do a lot of outreach presentations using my animals as ambassadors for their species. Mostly, I aim to dispel myths and fears about snakes and spiders, but I also do a lot of cautioning people against impulse pet purchases, often regarding why parrots don't make good pets for most people, as they're a lot more work than is generally assumed (I suspect I'd be preaching to the choir on this forum!).

Anyway, here's to meeting cool parrot people and learning more about our feathered family!

Here's Joey and my Baron's racer Elphaba checking each other out! (Elphaba is secured safely in her terrarium, and as such they pose no danger to each other.)

Mavet

Moving in
Not sure why my photo of Joey and Elphaba isn't visible... It was when I previewed the thread post... Hopefully it's visible here.
15578657_10155584310277738_3554655307657876884_n.jpg
Here's Joey and my Baron's racer Elphaba checking each other out! (Elphaba is secured safely in her terrarium, and as such they pose no danger to each other.)

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Welcome! Joey is gorgeous! Thanks for the work you to in educating people about having parrots as pets. I volunteer at an exotic animal sanctuary where we have many animals that were acquired by people on impulse, and sometimes illegally, such as our beautiful bobcat who was previously kept (illegally) as a pet in a small condo. We get the highest number of calls regarding parrot surrenders and it's usually situations in which people didn't realize the full extent of what they were getting into, so it's so important to try educate and inform like you do. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:
Great picture!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Welcome!
I love those BFAs too, and I spent many years developing effective insect biocontrols of weeds. I really liked some of my weevils a lot too.
Great to have you here and hoping to hear more about your zoo.

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
:hello1::welcome2:

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Welcome.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:greet13:

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Great to see another arachnid lover!

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi! I wish my house was a zoo but I live an apartment. Who knows, maybe they won't notice if I sneak off and buy a few geckos. :p

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your entire zoo!

We also do visits with our birds here. Most of the visits are to extended care facilities, with some school visits. I enjoy the visits at the ECFs the most..the residents really do get attached to the birds, and I love to hear their stories of the birds they owned in the past...

Rolanda

Welcome! I had to look up vinegaroon I've never heard of or seen one. I'm not an arachnid lover, but can respect all creatures. Thanks for the education already!:D

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
:hello1:

love your pic and what your are doing to help educate.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! Joe is very handsome and the snake is beautiful. My grandma LOVED snakes. I had a tarantula named Baby many years ago, a Rosey, so I do love spiders. All kinds of spiders.

Lucifer in the avatar has been with us 110, whoops, I mean 11 years. Lucifer's not really his name most days. His name is Wasabi.

What's Joey's story? From a breeder or a rescue? Luci..uh, Wasabi made his way to us after a jerk abandoned him.

Is Joey hormonal now? Is he loud?