• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi! A bit about me and rambling on.

Danielwilu2525

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel
Hello there! I'm Daniel. A guy who is new to the parrot world. However, I've been doing my research for the past 5 months on parrot care. I live in the sunshine state. I have a DEEP passion for animals. Especially parrots and reptiles. I currently own a ball python. I don't want to make the same mistake other people have made, not doing there research. That would end up me getting the wrong species and ending up surrending the parrot. That's why I'm really telling myself and realizing what I'm getting into. So, I narrowed it down to 3 species! GCCs, Quakers, and Caiques. A GCC is a good option. However I'd prefer something that can talk (like a Quaker). Im mostly likely going to end up starting out with a Quaker. I used to have my mind set on a caique, but after a quick google search I learned that they have some NASTY mood swings. I don't know if this is forever, since I know they are really affectionate. If it wasn't for the mood swings, I would get a caique. All in all, it doesn't have to talk. Just be funny, playful, and cuddly. Maybe some tricks here and then too! So yeah, that's a little bit about me. You'll be seeing me asking questions about these species in the coming days or weeks. Don't hesitate to give me info, the more the merrier! Thanks for reading!!

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Every parrot is different. There's never any guarantees that one will turn out like another, and they can change a lot as they grow up. Make sure you're prepared for that.

It's good that you're doing a lot of research. All three of those species can go from sweet to evil very fast. You have to be on the ball and paying attention when interacting with them. Quakers can be difficult, especially for beginners who don't understand body language and proper training techniques. They aren't super cuddly past adolescence from what I've seen. It's also pretty common for them to be violently territorial of their space (cage). And.. they're very loud ;) They are super smart, so while it's great for tricks and talking, they'll need a lot of mental and physical stimulation to stay happy and healthy. They are prone to self destructive behaviors like plucking and mutilation because of this.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue.

It's so important to get as much info on the species when you're considering bringing a bird into your life.
Every parrot is different. There's never any guarantees that one will turn out like another, and they can change a lot as they grow up
Very well put.

Caiques can be very playful...and definitely funny in their behavior. Mood swings are just that...mood swings. You accept that they happen, and go on with life.

I love Quakers, and would be owned by at least one, if PA law said they were legal. @Jaguar has given great insights on them in the post above.

GCCs are great birds, although I've never had one in our flock.

Parrotsrpeeple

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josh
Honestly it depends on the bird. They're all with individual personalities. I love all 3, if I could I would have all 3, except Quakers aren't legal in my state, my family claims we're "too full" on an eclectus and sun conure, and my GCC Griffin passed... I honestly like the GCC best. To me Griffin was pretty quiet, fun, cuddly, friendly, loved to socialize, not at all cage aggressive. but that was just him... I would love to be owned by all 3...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Dang it, now I probably might get a caique. Ahh this is gonna take a while lol
It's a great predicament to be in...hopefully you will find a bird that picks YOU...;)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello::welave:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:welcomeflag:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome. Is there a rescue nearby that you could meet all three?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Sorry, wasn't trying to dissuade you from Quakers at all. They're just what I have most experience with, and it's good to remind prospective owners that every species (or individual) is going to have their own quirks. Rarely do things end up like we idealize in our heads. Parrots are very different from what we normally think of as pets.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome to AA. It is nice when a bird picks you.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Welcome to AA! Try to meet as many birds as possible, see if one picks you. Don't forget about your local rescue's! :)

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welave:

Also remember that a baby parrots behavior when you first get it (if you buy from a breeder) may change as it matures into an adult bird. That is why many of us like adopting adult birds because you know the personality that the bird will have :)