• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hey!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Welcome to you and Kiwi!!!

I know this site has been wonderful! Every question gets some answers and advice. Just make sure you ask!!! You see already the vast amount of advice coming your way.

My budgies HATE mist/spray baths. Keep a SHALLOW bowl of clean water, but she'll bathe when she wants! I THINK @Lady Jane knows lots about bathing budgies.

Only 3 days to warm up to you is not enough time. Don't be bothered if it takes a while. This is a totally new environment and for all she knows, that giant predator (you) is planning any moment to eat her.
@SquawksNibbles is a good source and should get this and answer. Kiera's good about that!

You're going to want to find a Certified Avian Vet. Regular vets have little to no knowledge of birds and you'll mostly just be throwing your money away taking a bird to one.
I'm glad to hear you're working on the vet- thing. The AV can answer lots of questions, too. Take advantage of that!

Please take the mite disk out right away. They're very toxic and will almost certainly cause more harm than good. The active ingredient, Paradichlorobenzene, is the same as in mothballs. Birds have a sensitive respiratory system, and the last thing you want to do is poison the air in and around their cage.
One way to tell is to put white paper on the bottom of the cage before bed. If in the morning there are little dark specks on it, it could be mites.
Is that mite- thing called a "Bird Protector" that is a round tin with holes? Take it out!
@Garet may be able to tell you about mites. If I recall, he had a bout with them. Hopefully, he'll get this alert.

Budgies love their millet...I see no need to cut it up...she'll work on the sprig. :)
She would probably like some variety in her perches. Natural branches of bird-safe wood are great - they're uneven so exercise different parts of the bird's foot and the bird can chew on them. Exercising different parts of the foot and letting the bird find a comfortable spot means that they're less likely to get sore feet and health problems like bumblefoot.
Safe and Toxic Plants for Pet Birds List, poisonous and toxic plants for pet birds, safe herbs for pet birds, safe flowers for pet birds,safe garden plants for pet birds, safe garden flowers for pet birds, safe seeds to grow for pet birds, safe houseplants for pet birds, safe house plantsfor pet birds, Safe and Toxic Poisonous Woods, Toxic Plant List, Safe Plants List, Safe Woods for Bird Perches, Safe Trees and safe wood to use for bird perches and toys,Poisonous Plants for Birds, Safe Christmas Trees for Cockatiels and Birds, Safe and Toxic Poisonous Wood from Trees for Birds and Perches
This is only one of lots of safe plant/perch/tree sites!

I do have a rough textured perch in Leia's cage but it's crucial to make sure that it's not the highest one in the cage. Most birds will use the highest perch as a sleeping perch, so it's really important that the sleeping perch is comfortable and the right size for them.

Budgies love bells and lots of them. Make sure to avoid jingle bells because they can get their beaks caught in them! Opt for Liberty bells. Also, budgies LOVE swings! Make sure you add one. BTW, a plastic swing is easier to clean.

Members can also help with any needed ideas for toys and cages and concerns. Most members have or have had multiple budgies. @finchly and @cassiesdad (who has already answered the millet question) always helped me lots.

(Hopefully, those mentioned will join this thread.)

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
What I learned from my bout with mites is to look for flakeyness around the legs and on the beak, along with an almost snowflake looking pattern on the beak and nails and any signs of some sort of growth that looks like corral by the beak. My boy also experienced swelling on one side of his face. It was a milder case, thankfully, and only took one injection to clear up. If you do have mites, you also newn to scrub every bit of her cage as thoroughly as possible.

I'm fairly certain your options are less limited than mine if you're outside of Canada.

As for bathing, you can use your fingers to scoop out water and gently drip it on her head and back, if misting doesn't work. 3 out of 4 of my budgies enjoy their human shower.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My budgies must have an "anti-wet" gene or something...they really never liked bathing much...although they did like misting...and Sky and Marley loved rolling in their greens before they ate them...;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is a nice story about how Kiwi came into your life. She looks like a mature female in the photo. I suggest you begin a journal about her and jot down questions as they come up so we can help you. Can you get a close up photo of her feet? What are you feeding her so far? Budgies should be eating veggies, a good seed blend and pellets. If you want brand names we can post some. Please take time to read the sub forum Unsafe Toys. There are many sold in pet stores. We have wonderful vendors on AA that make safe toys plus you can learn yourself. Cage size is important if you keep her. Perches should be natural or rope.

My budgies love a gentle spritz of warm water for bathing. The low mist spray bottles are sold in the amphibian department of pet store. You need to get her used to the sound and bottle first before actually spraying her.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Sky and Marley loved rolling in their greens before they ate them...;)
The rolling must add a little flavor to it or something. I catch Rupert eating while he stands in his bowl sometimes. :rolleyes:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Something else to try with bathing is different temperatures of water in the bowl or spray bottle. You don't want it actually cold or hot, but some birds prefer their bath/shower water to be warmer and some prefer it cooler.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...and then there was Zenith...the budgie that would roll himself up in a large leaf...and eat it going round and round...I still never quite figured out how he could stay wrapped up AND eat it at the same time...:shrug:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
...and then there was Zenith...the budgie that would roll himself up in a large leaf...and eat it going round and round...I still never quite figured out how he could stay wrapped up AND eat it at the same time...:shrug:
To be fair, being wrapped in a giant burrito and eating my way out of it sounds like living the dream! I'm glad it made Zenith so happy! :D

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
To be fair, being wrapped in a giant burrito and eating my way out of it sounds like living the dream! I'm glad it made Zenith so happy! :D
...he got wet and ate at the same time...a great example of multi-tasking...:)

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Here's a good link for info on skin problems
Bacterial Infections in Birds | Common Avian Fungal Infections
I really hope Kiwi gets a clean bill of health from your vet when you're able to take her. And perhaps it was misunderstanding on your part being so new to birds. I would imagine she was quite stressed from being outside. So its quite possible she might have picked something up when her immune system was stressed. Still I'll hope for all the best until we know for sure. :)

You're doing great. :) Thank you so much for rescuing her.
I totally agree you're doing great!! :highfive:

Last edited:

Mysdrym

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenn
Oh, wow, this is great! Thank you for all the tips and all the links!

For now, Kiwi has a wooden ladder, a wooden swing, a plastic dangly thing with two bells on it (she's asleep now, but I will double check that she can't get caught on any parts of it in the morning), a plastic mirror with beads she can move around, and the 2 wooden perches that came with the cage. I got her a toy she could chew on, but I'll hold off on putting that in there until I've finished reading up on the dangerous toys.

I'm currently feeding her Natural Extreme Millet Spray millet seed sprigs and Dumor Advanced Diet Pet Parakeet Food, with a sprinkle of Kaytee Veggie and Fruit Treat in it. I tried giving her a few peas, but she just threw them on the bottom of her cage. So far she hasn't been interested in the lettuce, either. I'll try dicing up some and putting it in her cage for tomorrow, with some spinach, maybe.

I haven't noticed any flaky skin or coral growths, but I will keep an eye out. I don't think she has any bacterial infections as she hasn't been sluggish or not eating, but I will ask about it when I take her to the vet. I've been googling pretty much every single movement she makes to make sure it's natural, like stretching her legs and wings, sitting on one foot, making a little clicky noise, etc, lol. The feet tapping was the only one that didn't check out, so I'm hoping it was just the sandpaper on the perches.

Also, @cassiesdad that sounds adorable! Do you have any pics of him all rolled up?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Also, @cassiesdad that sounds adorable! Do you have any pics of him all rolled up?
Unfortunately the pictures we had of Zenith were lost when we had our computer hacked and held for ransom a few years ago...:(