• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hey Jen, I need a Dagbert fix!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
He's getting us into trouble! LOL! I had no idea that we would ever have complaints over a chicken and not...hmmm...should we say...oh...I don't know...a loud and obnoxious COCKATOO???? I think it was Monday night, Jon and I came home from work and were totally exhausted, so we took a quick nap and woke up to Dagbert crowing and then the slamming of a door or a body against a wall in our neighbor's condo after every crow! :omg: This happened one other time one morning several months ago when we had Dagbert upstairs in the morning and he was greeting the day but Monday night, he was in the basement where he usually is when he's being obnoxious and we were stunned that suddenly our neighbor was having a fit. I ran downstairs and got him right away and brought him back upstairs with us and Jon and I had a long talk about what to do next. I really want to move but Jon owns too many other properties that he doesn't want to sell and I'm right on the cusp of what we could probably get for my condo, so we're kind of stuck. Getting rid of Dags is NOT an option. So, we agreed that we have to get moving on putting the ceiling back together (we tore it out last spring and Jon's been dragging his feet on putting it back in - it was a drop ceiling and we're doing new pot lights and dry wall) and putting doors on either side of the basement to sound proof it a little. What I don't get is how a man in his late 50s would rather bang on his walls like a six year old than talk to us about it and how it's just randomly a problem. We've been totally freaked out about Dags being noisy ever since but we haven't encountered any banging since. I so don't get it!:)

Other than that, he's doing well. I'll have to get some pictures of the beast. Reggie got out of his cage last week and Dagbert still hasn't learned his lesson and went after him. I really think he's trying to mate with him. Reggie bit his comb for the third time. It's healing nicely but I just wonder when he's going to learn. We also had some commotion on Tuesday when Jon was in the basement putting in some more of the holders for the pot lights while Tuchis, Kishka, Amarillo, and I hung out upstairs. All of the sudden I hear Jon screeching, "Shut the door! Shut the door! Incoming chicken!" Dagbert is running up the steps and Jon is hot on his heels! :jawdrop1: Dags hightails it into the living room with Jon in tow and Tuchis and Kish take to the air freaking out about all the craziness and add to it with their squawking. Dagbert hits the loveseat and upturns bowls and other things that Jon has left behind and Jon is on the loveseat right behind him...total chaos insues! :x3: Jon finally catches the black beast and I ask him what that was all about?!?!?!? :confused: Jon looks at me with no good answer and then puts him down and returns to the basement. :bored: I'm left with the chicken who then picks a fight with the pink fink over who owns the living room floor and of course the pink fink is upset because he can no longer roam around the floor freely and spends the rest of the night beeping and whining... :arghh:

Let's just say this week has been a little nutso... :bag:

Momto3boys

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brandy
Oh my goodness :rofl:

I think you guys need a stiff drink! I hope Dag smartins up and starts using his "inside crow" LOL

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
He's getting us into trouble! LOL! I had no idea that we would ever have complaints over a chicken and not...hmmm...should we say...oh...I don't know...a loud and obnoxious COCKATOO???? I think it was Monday night, Jon and I came home from work and were totally exhausted, so we took a quick nap and woke up to Dagbert crowing and then the slamming of a door or a body against a wall in our neighbor's condo after every crow! :omg: This happened one other time one morning several months ago when we had Dagbert upstairs in the morning and he was greeting the day but Monday night, he was in the basement where he usually is when he's being obnoxious and we were stunned that suddenly our neighbor was having a fit. I ran downstairs and got him right away and brought him back upstairs with us and Jon and I had a long talk about what to do next. I really want to move but Jon owns too many other properties that he doesn't want to sell and I'm right on the cusp of what we could probably get for my condo, so we're kind of stuck. Getting rid of Dags is NOT an option. So, we agreed that we have to get moving on putting the ceiling back together (we tore it out last spring and Jon's been dragging his feet on putting it back in - it was a drop ceiling and we're doing new pot lights and dry wall) and putting doors on either side of the basement to sound proof it a little. What I don't get is how a man in his late 50s would rather bang on his walls like a six year old than talk to us about it and how it's just randomly a problem. We've been totally freaked out about Dags being noisy ever since but we haven't encountered any banging since. I so don't get it!:)

Other than that, he's doing well. I'll have to get some pictures of the beast. Reggie got out of his cage last week and Dagbert still hasn't learned his lesson and went after him. I really think he's trying to mate with him. Reggie bit his comb for the third time. It's healing nicely but I just wonder when he's going to learn. We also had some commotion on Tuesday when Jon was in the basement putting in some more of the holders for the pot lights while Tuchis, Kishka, Amarillo, and I hung out upstairs. All of the sudden I hear Jon screeching, "Shut the door! Shut the door! Incoming chicken!" Dagbert is running up the steps and Jon is hot on his heels! :jawdrop1: Dags hightails it into the living room with Jon in tow and Tuchis and Kish take to the air freaking out about all the craziness and add to it with their squawking. Dagbert hits the loveseat and upturns bowls and other things that Jon has left behind and Jon is on the loveseat right behind him...total chaos insues! :x3: Jon finally catches the black beast and I ask him what that was all about?!?!?!? :confused: Jon looks at me with no good answer and then puts him down and returns to the basement. :bored: I'm left with the chicken who then picks a fight with the pink fink over who owns the living room floor and of course the pink fink is upset because he can no longer roam around the floor freely and spends the rest of the night beeping and whining... :arghh:

Let's just say this week has been a little nutso... :bag:

Don't EVER forget that it was Kristen that encouraged you to get him. Was NOT me!! :D :D :D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yes, of course Danielle, you were completely and totally innocent of all charges...I know you were not crowing with the rest of them, "Get the chicken! Get the chicken!";)

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
A rooster will be a rooster, and there's not a whole lot you can do to change him. He's not going to "learn" from getting his comb bit - roosters are quite willing to die for what's important to them (it's why cockfighting works), be it territory or their flocks. Roosters will by nature chase their flocks under cover and then come back to take on predators, with no thought to their own lives.

I personally love the sound of a rooster crowing, but have you checked whether chickens are permitted where you live? If they aren't, one phone call to the authorities from your neighbor will be all it takes.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
A rooster will be a rooster, and there's not a whole lot you can do to change him. He's not going to "learn" from getting his comb bit - roosters are quite willing to die for what's important to them (it's why cockfighting works), be it territory or their flocks. Roosters will by nature chase their flocks under cover and then come back to take on predators, with no thought to their own lives.

I personally love the sound of a rooster crowing, but have you checked whether chickens are permitted where you live? If they aren't, one phone call to the authorities from your neighbor will be all it takes.
Well, it certainly isn't like we're encouraging him and Reggie to hang out and be friends or anything...it was an accident. As for our neighbor picking up the phone and calling the cops, he'd still have to prove we actually have a rooster. We are allowed by law to have hens and I have read that they can crow in the absence of a male. Besides, who's to say it isn't just one of the parrots learning how to speak farm animal? I'm not going to worry about it until that day comes...I've got bigger and better things on my plate like how my job is driving me nuts.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue

An interesting reminder.... :bag:

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe

:lol: :rofl: .....Dagbert! ....

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:coffeescreen: :scared1:Sounds like Halloween hit your house early :backout: :wacky:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Well, it certainly isn't like we're encouraging him and Reggie to hang out and be friends or anything...it was an accident. As for our neighbor picking up the phone and calling the cops, he'd still have to prove we actually have a rooster. We are allowed by law to have hens and I have read that they can crow in the absence of a male. Besides, who's to say it isn't just one of the parrots learning how to speak farm animal? I'm not going to worry about it until that day comes...I've got bigger and better things on my plate like how my job is driving me nuts.
I didn't think you were encouraging them to hang out together - I was just responding to your comment that he "still hasn't learned his lesson" by pointing out that it's not a lesson that a rooster, of all animals, will be prone to learning. :)

What you say about hens crowing is interesting. However, I suspect that if a cop or AC person heard crowing coming from your house, the burden of proof that it wasn't a rooster would probably be on you, so I very much hope that doesn't happen. :hug8: