• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hey guys, check out my new tattoo design!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like the idea of having a tattoo that really shows off my identity and who I am as a person. The sort of tattoo that boldly proclaims my personality to every unwilling passersby who glances in my direction.

SUCKA.JPG

I'm gonna get it right smack dab in the middle of my forehead.

So I've never mentioned it on AA yet because I'm weird and superstitious and try to avoid jinxes, but over the past month I've been working toward becoming a volunteer at the Humane Society. Those who don't know me may not be aware just how in love with my local SPCA I am, but honestly, the endgame of me becoming a veterinarian has always been working in their veterinary team.

I'm practically always there anyway, so becoming a volunteer was really just the natural course of things, lol.

The one single potential negative to this, however, is...being surrounded by adoptable animals. :faint:

Shockingly, I'm usually pretty good at keeping my sticky little gremlin fingers contained. I know my limits.

That being said, there has been a terrarium in my living room for many, many months now, waiting for the arrival of a gecko. I didn't know when, or even if, I'd end up with a gecko. I just really wanted one, so I dressed up my spare tank just in case.

Of course, it wasn't suitable for Tandoori. Even if she hadn't had Enigma Syndrome, leopard geckos are terrestrial desert-dwellers, and my tank is arboreal, humid and leafy.

A couple have come and gone across my radar, none of them, for whatever reason, being the right gecko.

And then, of course, a gecko arrived at the Humane Society.

He was held in the back of the shelter for around a month and a half before he became adoptable; he had been seized from his former owner due to a report of neglect, and when rescued he was found housed in a barren, filthy tank without food or water. Even after the court proceedings that put him under the legal guardianship of the Humane Society, they had to work hard to bring him back to health. At one point he even had to be sent out into foster care, as the shelter environment didn't allow for the one-on-one attention he required to get back to a proper weight.

I knew, vaguely, that a gecko was about. But I wasn't an official volunteer yet and most staff heard, through the grapevine, that he was a leopard gecko.
Spoiler: he isn't. ;)

Yesterday, he was officially made available for public adoption. And I put a hold on him on the spot.

Today, I brought my little Crested/Cahoua hybrid home.

Isn't he beautiful?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
CONGRATS!!!!

I'm so glad you have a new baby! I've done that before with fish, I've set up so many tanks *just in case*, lol. Your little dude is such a warrior! And a cutie to boot!

Little buddy, you're gonna be living it up before you know it!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations to both of you .

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@hrafn Nice click bait :p

He is gorgeous! I am looking forward to seeing updates as he gets settled in his new forever home.

I got a very awesome pet mouse from a similar story. He was taken when a home was banned from having pets, so all the animals living there were surrendered. He ended up being adopted out once and those people actually brought him back..because he fought with their male mice. This is honestly normal behaviour for male mice. So this poor mouse was now labeled as a "fighter" so no one wanted him. Poor guy :( Lucky for him I was looking for a single male mouse. So I went and picked him up. He spent 7 or 9 months between multiple homes and had a range of care. At the RSCPA the volunteer didn't even want to handle him because he was "violent". She said I could get him out if I really wanted him.

He was like sweetest mouse ever! It is totally normal for male mice who aren't brothers to fight. He wasn't violent or mean at all. He lived to be 3 years 1 month old. IMG_20160718_133610.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He´s gorgeous! What is his name? He doesn´t know he has hit the jackpot finding you :)

@fashionfobie that´s a very cute photo, I´m glad you gave him a good life.

All animals deserve to be loved.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
He just won the lottery!!!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:bounce4::bliss::loveshower::excited1:Beauty is in in the eye of the beholder/ Hope u both have a long happy life together!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:party:
:congratualtions:

I :heart: his markings. I thought I'd look @ a little 10 gal aquarium. That terrarium looks bigger than that!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, you're a sucker but in the best possible way!

He's so cute! I wish him a happy life with you and the rest of your gang.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award