• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hey everyone, introducing our boy Jacko :)

Rach n Wes

Moving in
Read your reply so sorry Rachel Is going through this well both of you it’s not nice at all my friend went through similar thing with her beloved cat but she had scarring on her lungs was in hospital for 3weeks the hospital even put a dnr in place for her as they struggled for four days to get her breathing by herself next step was to be put in a coma to let her body recover but the magnesium infusion helped her loads and she responded well she still has to have her nebuliser and as oxygen in house
My friends started off as a constant running nose after having her cat 5years one day she just came into our work unable to breath and fainted
Her cat as a fantastic home with another work colleague and she gets to see loads of pictures of her I know it’s not the same and she struggles still with it and it was about 7/8months ago now but she made right choice for her and her kids and her health
I know it a very hard decision to make I really feel for anyone who as to make this decision
@April had to make a decision similar maybe she can help as she will know how you are all feeling

I really hope you find the best solution that brings you all peace
Wow that sounds horrendous to go through! Awful enough to be so ill from it, let alone having to give up one of the things that helps you get through life's challenges that you love and adore. So good the cat got a loving home. We are really thinking for Jacko now as much as we can. The least we can do is find him another loving home, and hopefully even better than ours with birdie friends - you never know! Thanks for tagging April for us and your well wishes - we feel the love! x

Rach n Wes

Moving in
Just finished my two 12hour shifts struggling to switch off but I am hoping to enjoy my weekend Sunday tomos but all plans cancelled as I think my daughters got tonsillitis so have a poorly little lady
Thank you pico will be forever missed
Yikes, 2 x 12hr shifts? That sounds tough - are you a nurse maybe? Eeek tonsillitis does not sound great, hope your daughter feels better very soon. Lots of TLC this weekend!

Rach n Wes

Moving in
Oh gosh I am so sorry. I know it is not the exact same but I can't be around a tiels for long as they are just way too dusty for me, I have a cocky (who is dustier than an old vacuum cleaner bag) who is kept outdoors at all times as I struggle to breathe if I inhale his dust and I end up coughing non stop for a long time before I feel better, I clean his cage/aviary daily to keep the amount of dust I am subjected to down to a minimum and that helps me to cope but if the stinker shakes and his dust is sent my way I am set off pretty fast.

I really have no suggestions past the suggestion of you guys considering making your sweetie an aviary bird (with some friends to keep him company) where you all can still see and hear each other but Rachel can stay well out of the air carrying any bird dander/dust.

I hope you can find a solution you are all comfortable with xo
Yes, they sure are dusty aren't they! Dustier than an old vacuum bag, haha love that. Thanks for sharing your experience. We are thinking about the garden aviary, however, I think we prefer him to have a home indoors as similar as what he has grown accustomed to. We have such a quiet neighbourhood too so they may complain about noise etc, it is on the list though. Wish all of this wasn't happening, but it is a reality unfortunately!! Thank you for your well wishes, its so appreciated x

Rach n Wes

Moving in
Oh my goodness I'm so terribly sorry that yall are going through this right now. I agree with @Shezbug that putting him outside is probably your best option.

This is exactly what I was afraid of happening with me when after 17 years of having various parrots(usually only 1 at a time) I out of the blue developed terrible allergies to my Linnie. For months I'd had a deep hacking cough that just wouldn't go away and I'd wake up literally every night multiple times coughing so hard I was genuinely afraid a few times that I'd be unable to breath it was quite scary. I also felt so incredibly worn down and just so miserable no matter what I did. I tested myself for covid so many times and always came back negative but I admit I'm a stubborn person and just figured eventually it would go away and I'd just suffer until it did never ever even thinking it could be Bosco.

Then fast forward to when I had to take him to work to board while I got my apt sprayed for ants and that night I got home from work and was airing my bedroom out with the fan going and door open(which normally I could never do because my dog was very prey driven and aggressive towards him so my bedroom door was always shut for Bosco's safety.

So I did notice sorta offhandly that that night I wasn't coughing nearly as much as I was reading in bed but didn't think much beyond it just sorta in the back of my mind. Then for the first time in months I was able to sleep through the night only waking up to cough once which was a massive difference but then it dawned on me that the only thing that was different is that Bosco wasn't in there with me.

So to be as sure as I could that him being gone was what was making a difference I spent the next day after work deep cleaning and disinfecting my room and moved his cage into the living room,laundered all my bedding(which I did every week but he was always in my room before) scrubbed down the walls,vacuumed the carpets ect and the difference was night and day I was hardly coughing at all during the day and was sleeping all the way through the night and it was like a weight had lifted off my chest. I didn't realize just how badly I felt until I didn't anymore if that makes sense it was completely night and day and it was painfully obvious that Bosco was the problem.

Because after that first day or so my symptoms greatly lessened and only flared up when I had to take care of him at work and I'd instantly start coughing when I had to be around him for even just a few mins.

So as much as it absolutely broke my heart I had to make the extremely painful and difficult choice to rehome him and end my life with parrots. I cried myself to sleep so many times after making that choice but I knew that for my health and happiness it was something I had to do because in this small apt there was no where I could move Bosco to that was safe enough from my dog or far enough away from my bedroom to make a difference. I was so incredibly lucky that within a week of him being gone that all my symptoms went away and I seem to have come out from this unscathed and I'm eternally grateful for that.

I absolutely feel for yall and I'm so incredibly sorry that your all in this situation. It's such a tragedy that our beloved birds can effect us this way. I really hope that if he can be moved into an outside aviary that she'll be feeling better and able to make a recovery.
Wow, thanks April for letting us know everything you had to go through. We feel your pain from here, and brought a tear to our eyes as its quite close to our scenario. :cry3: It's strange as he has come for a head scratch now and Rachel is not coughing at all, so it isn't feeling like he is causing the trouble. Its just pure fun and enjoyment around him, yet wanting to protect yourself and survive due to what the hospital are saying! We are hoping for some miracle that all this is wrong and he can stay....

Rachel's health is important, Jacko is important, so we can't just stick our head in the sands and pretend this isn't happening. A plan needs to be in place if he needs to be rehomed urgently. Its awful to know things like this:

The question of when to re-home a bird is an extremely difficult one. It’s not as simple as just giving up the bird to ensure its happiness, because the very act of re-homing will cause the bird emotional trauma.

Here’s how parrots function: When you move them from home to home, they grieve for their people, their flock. It’s not like giving a dog a new home. After a short period of time, a dog will often be overjoyed with attention; they tend to recover much faster emotionally. Parrots are built to function in flocks, and those flocks are like family. They depend on social bonds for security. With each subsequent new home (a parrot has, on average, seven homes in the first five years of its life), it becomes harder for a bird to trust and move on. They remember their past experiences.

When you make the decision to re-home a bird, please, make sure that it is a last-resort on your behalf.

For him to not understand why we are doing it, and experience emotional trauma is just unbearable. Just got to find the best solution we possibly can and have trust that he will be loved and looked after and happy in the new home should it have to happen. Thanks so much for your well wishes and telling us about what you have been through, we are thankful x

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Yikes, 2 x 12hr shifts? That sounds tough - are you a nurse maybe? Eeek tonsillitis does not sound great, hope your daughter feels better very soon. Lots of TLC this weekend!
I am a dementia carer in a nursing home
Chilled day watching films snuggling trying to get her to eat and drink

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, thanks April for letting us know everything you had to go through. We feel your pain from here, and brought a tear to our eyes as its quite close to our scenario. :cry3: It's strange as he has come for a head scratch now and Rachel is not coughing at all, so it isn't feeling like he is causing the trouble. Its just pure fun and enjoyment around him, yet wanting to protect yourself and survive due to what the hospital are saying! We are hoping for some miracle that all this is wrong and he can stay....

Rachel's health is important, Jacko is important, so we can't just stick our head in the sands and pretend this isn't happening. A plan needs to be in place if he needs to be rehomed urgently. Its awful to know things like this:

The question of when to re-home a bird is an extremely difficult one. It’s not as simple as just giving up the bird to ensure its happiness, because the very act of re-homing will cause the bird emotional trauma.

Here’s how parrots function: When you move them from home to home, they grieve for their people, their flock. It’s not like giving a dog a new home. After a short period of time, a dog will often be overjoyed with attention; they tend to recover much faster emotionally. Parrots are built to function in flocks, and those flocks are like family. They depend on social bonds for security. With each subsequent new home (a parrot has, on average, seven homes in the first five years of its life), it becomes harder for a bird to trust and move on. They remember their past experiences.

When you make the decision to re-home a bird, please, make sure that it is a last-resort on your behalf.

For him to not understand why we are doing it, and experience emotional trauma is just unbearable. Just got to find the best solution we possibly can and have trust that he will be loved and looked after and happy in the new home should it have to happen. Thanks so much for your well wishes and telling us about what you have been through, we are thankful x
I really do hope yall will be able to keep your sweet boy and that the cause of the illness will be something else.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Jacko is such a healthy, happy looking cockatiel. I'm so sorry you're going through this health crisis. Autoimmunity is no joke, and to have your beloved little guy mixed up in it is heartbreaking. Hugs to you as you navigate this difficult time.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!