• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hey all..should I be concerned

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
About this feather? It came off of Sky...I looked at her wings,,and this one was missing..but the rest look great..ya think she barbered it coz it was ready to come out? Never, ever seen this in my 20+ years of having birds.
20171128_143123.jpg

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Is it possible she barbered it after it came out?

Darby chews the ends of his to make them rougher to scratch his neck with.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
TD always picks up his dropped feathers and twirls them in his beak. IDK if it's a natural behavior (tongue practice perhaps?) or if he's mimicking George who often twirls a straw in his mouth and it's always fascinated Sometimes he shreds them like the one in your photo.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Max will pick at wing feathers that need to come out... he does not over preen or pluck otherwise, just a few wing feathers, not sure if like Jennifer mentioned it's a means of creating a rougher edge for preening and scratching, but our vet has never been concerned, he's not pulling them out and she said he'll drop them when they are ready to come out.

Max will also play with feathers if he drops one and can get his beak on it, I found him scratching his head with one just a week ago! Tried to get a photo, but he was sitting up on the top of the shower and you could not tell what he was doing.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you sure it wasn't like that all along? To me it looks like a feather that got bumped while it was developing and came in kind of misshapen.