• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He's Here!

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
We just picked up Periwinkle :D
He's still settling in, but he's just so darn cute!

20180804_095841.jpg 20180804_095849.jpg 20180804_100544.jpg
20180804_100624.jpg
Right now he's in his quarantine cage, and has a balsa ball, a shreddable toy, 2 bead toys, a swing, natural perches and a grassy platform.
Anything else your budgies love?

Also, I wondering about diet.
I feed both Pinto and Nedd a staple diet of pellets in chop, but I've read multiple opinions regarding budgies and pellets. Right now, he's got the same seed he was eating in the petshop.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Beautiful little guy!

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
He is SOOO gorgeous! Congrats again! :)

My two Budgie boys don’t play with toys too much, but they seem to really enjoy picking at the knot thingies in Seagrams mats. :lol: They also like very soft things they can chew/shred, like paper or raffia. My guys aren’t a big fan of shredding wood, but yours might really enjoy it! :) Maybe you can make him an activity mat out of a seagrass mat with different toys on it?

I feed my Budgies pellets, seed, chop, all of it. :D My guys love their ZuPreem pellets, and I know a lot of other people here on AA feed their Budgies pellets, too. But Budgies do need seed in the diet, as well; sprouted seed is great. My birds love their vegetables, too, as well as cooked grains. I would focus on just letting him settle in first, though. Then once he’s more comfortable you can try to introduce new foods. Just my opinion. :)

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Thanks a lot @SquawksNibbles !
The shreddable toy is actually made w/ seagrass, but I will make him and activity matt too :)

As for his wings, they came clipped, and yes I do plan to let them grow out :)
Infact, he can fly pretty well as is, so there really isn't any point to clipping him, even if I wanted too.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Little cutie for sure. How old and are you sure he is a he?

As far as pellets go make sure to feed the tiny ones. Harrison's makes extra fine and Goldenfeast makes even smaller ones for small beaks. I alternate between the two and mix with the seed. Love the name. Won't be easy for a budgie to say though.

Congrats!!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thanks a lot @SquawksNibbles !
The shreddable toy is actually made w/ seagrass, but I will make him and activity matt too :)

No problem! Oh, and yep, I didn’t notice that about the shreddable toy; sounds like lots of shredding fun! The grassy platform was a great idea, too. I’m sure Periwinkle (love that name) will love his cage and all the toys in it once he settles in. :)

Also, I was wondering who the budgie in your profile pic is?
He's very cute :)

Thank you! :heart: That is Bella, my first Budgie and feathered friend. :pbbudgie: Unfortunately, she is not with me any more, but she changed me forever and is the reason I’m as bird-crazy as I am. :)

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Little cutie for sure. How old and are you sure he is a he?
The petshop labelled him as 'a baby budgie' , but it looks like his cere is just starting to change and he has lost most of his forehead stripes, so I think he's about 4 months old.
He sure is tiny tho!

As for whether he is a he, I am not certain, but I do think that he is a boy. What do you think?
Today his cere seems very bluish/paleish, and yesterday it seemed more pink?

Sorry about your budgie tho @SquawksNibbles :(
She sounds like she was a wonderful little squeaker :sadhug2:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
My two Budgie boys don’t play with toys too much,
My guys do! They LOVE their toys and will noisily prove It!
I feed my Budgies pellets, seed, chop, all of it. :D My guys love their ZuPreem pellets, and I know a lot of other people here on AA feed their Budgies pellets, too. But Budgies do need seed in the diet, as well; sprouted seed is great. My birds love their vegetables, too, as well as cooked grains.
My budgie boys get Harrison's superfine, but MOSTLY seeds. Tommy loves veggies; JoJo not so much. JoJo loves scrambled eggs; not Tommy. One wants a bowl to bathe in and the other likes wet kale. That's proof that every bird is different!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh he is just so cute. I love his name and his color. Budgies are the cutest and funniest little things, looking forward to hearing all about his adventures and personality once he has settled in :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What an absolute doll Periwinkle is! I'm surely not very good at sexing, but to me, Periwinkle sure looks like a little girl!

That is a great first cage with a variety of toys and perches, I'll bet P will be very happy settling in!

Fergus and Fiona pretty much love any toy that they are given - I make a big deal out of "NEW TOY!" and usually they
will be playing with it within hours, sometimes minutes. I do wish they would use their cuttlebones more, but maybe that
is normal not to use them too much. They have a seagrass mat hanging from the side after they chewed the part of it
that allowed it to be a hammock LOL. And assorted wooden toys to chew, though they don't chew those as much as they used to. They love their rope boings, and the rope perch is usually their favorite sleeping place. They used to play a lot with the foot toys in the bottom of the cage, but I haven't seen that in several weeks, not sure why!

Mine eat seed, Zupreem Fruity blend, lots of spinach leaves, and I keep trying to get them to eat more veggies. They finally
ate some boiled egg the other day when they found it had magic millet sprinkled in, and I think they liked it - that was about the fourth time they have had the opportunity with eggs!

lyx

Sprinting down the street
I think Periwinkle is a beautiful little girl :D If the cere is pale blue she's a girl, especially if the around the nostrils gets lighter! If Periwinkle is a female then definitely stock up on balsa! My two are obsessed with it and can completely shred a toy in a morning :lol:My two girls will chew/beak everything in site or they love to beat up bells and basically get into everything. Also, they those cat toy type balls, the ones with bells in the middle? They love to throw them off the top of their cage :rolleyes:

Periwinkle is so cute I can't get over it :heart:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congratulations!! He is TOO adorable! Can’t wait for more pictures and hear about how he settles in:heart: