• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hermit Crab Food

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Right now I’m just trying to get as much hermit crab information as I can. I mentioned in another thread that one of my brother’s hermit crabs, Newt, passed away last Tuesday. Now we’ve got one single hermie, and I feel like he’s not getting all the care he needs. Despite bothering my parents about getting hermit crabs years ago, my brother has never seemed interested in them. Now it’s just Jorge now that’s Newt’s gone. I’m doing my best to help Jorge. I read last night that hermit crab food from the pet store is actually bad for hermit crabs. In that moment I panicked. My brother has only fed them that. :eek: So right now I’m just going to focus on getting Jorge on a much better diet. I read that they’re omnivores and will eat pretty much anything, but I’d like to get any other fellow hermit crab owners’ experience. What should we feed and how often? Also, do hermit crabs easily accept new foods? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Next time we go to the store I’m going to look and see if I can get anything for Jorge. I feel like he could use a tank upgrade, too, especially if we’re planning on getting him a friend or two. But FIRST I want to make sure Jorge is given the proper care he needs before any more hermit crabs are brought here. The problem is I don’t think my brother is ever going to have any more interest in hermit crabs. I just want to take Jorge in and give him the care he needs, but how would I bring that up to my brother? Even if he wants to keep them for himself for some reason, I’m going to try to give the very best care to Jorge.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@SquawksNibbles, might be worth searching around here. I vaguely remember some one looking after their granson's hermit crab and being shocked that their daughter did not know how to properly care for the crab, I think they had done a heap of research on them. If I remember correctly there was a comment about them pretty much having the same diet as birds. Now my memory is terrible and I often mix things up so please forgive me if I am wrong but I will also try to see if I can find the post I am thinking of.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Haha, found it! Macawpower58 was looking after the crabs and learnt all about them. Type "grandson's hermit crab" and you should get the thread I am talking about :)
Hope it helps, sorry but I am not sure how to add the link for the thread.....I need my daughter here to help me with that stuff :rolleyes:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oops, the thread was started by mini macaw, sorry about that. I only remembered seeing the lovely little platter of food and the post I previously mentioned about the grandson’s hermit crabs.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Thank you so much @Shezbug and @Feather! I have no idea how I missed that thread, as it’s right at the top of this forum right below this thread. :bash: Whoops....

Thanks again, you guys! That other thread has been very informative and helpful. :)