• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Here we go again

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I was asked to take in this parrotlet today who has spraddled legs. I am told she’s anywhere between 10-14 weeks old. She had been taken to the vet and given a tape brace and some injections (I’ll post a photo of the invoice) and also had the bands removed from her legs because they were cutting into her.
The people who owned her could no longer care for her and were out of options. (They were very nice people but they knew they couldn’t provide for her.)
I drove two hours to pick her up and just got her home. She’s in a very small quarentine cage lined with fleece in case she falls. I called my vets after hours line and they got her an appt for first thing tomorrow morning.
She is eating and drinking. (Not here yet but I saw her eat at the previous home).
Her droppings look ok and she’s not fluffed up though she looks very “rough.”
My concern is her legs that had been bandaged but they were taken off when the previous owner noticed swelling and blood from irritation. She was also kept with another, healthier parrotlet that nipped at her legs all the time.
So she’s been out of the bandage for two days now. I tried to get a photo of her most swollen leg but it’s hard to get a good pic of it.
I already plan on getting her many platform perches and a modified cage to suit her needs to start but I’m so worried about the swelling in the leg and it just looks so “off” to me. I’m hoping it’s not too late to treat her legs and let her live a healthy life.
She was given to me out of desperation I think that someone would help and I so hope I can. She’s resting now and seems stable so first thing tomorrow at the vets I should have answers.
To happier news, her name is Gemma and she’s so sweet. Not a mean bone in her body, she reminds me of when I brought Bowser home as just a lost, hurt baby.

Any advice anyone has for this condition is greatly appreciated. I know I’ll see the vet in less than 12 hours but it always helps to hear others stories.
04DE9A49-2501-4AAD-BC42-14D0727C746D.jpeg
F178CC0A-4A3E-4FAD-8AD8-EED94BA8CD16.jpeg 79A46B08-1BA2-4A32-85E2-BE6C48D50548.jpeg D5FA950F-A427-4EB7-A0D8-DB97853C5362.jpeg 0F6193CE-F1FE-437B-BB4A-CE79F814ECB3.jpeg

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Oh wooooooow, I hope they can help her! Poor baby really deserves a great life.

Thank you for taking her in! Poor baby really looks so worn out despite being so young, she needed to find someone like you who will actually be able to care for her.

:sadhug2:

I know sleeping tents really aren't popular, but my new little guy with the splayed legs really needed one. The second he realized Guzma had one in his cage (I got it for Bull to use after he lost his leg, but he didn't like it and then gave it to Guzma, who also didn't like it), he just disappeared in it all day. I got him one with a real sturdy bottom and durable material and he immediately crawled in to bed tonight. Krem followed close behind. I think it's easier for him to sleep in something rather than on a perch or a platform.

Since you have a girl, maybe you could make her an open hammock or something? Just so she has a soft thing to use to get off her feet for a while without it seeming like a nest.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I know sleeping tents really aren't popular, but my new little guy with the splayed legs really needed one. The second he realized Guzma had one in his cage (I got it for Bull to use after he lost his leg, but he didn't like it and then gave it to Guzma, who also didn't like it), he just disappeared in it all day. I got him one with a real sturdy bottom and durable material and he immediately crawled in to bed tonight. Krem followed close behind. I think it's easier for him to sleep in something rather than on a perch or a platform.
You mean Diablo! Cute how Krem joined him in bed!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Oh wooooooow, I hope they can help her! Poor baby really deserves a great life.

Thank you for taking her in! Poor baby really looks so worn out despite being so young, she needed to find someone like you who will actually be able to care for her.

:sadhug2:

Since you have a girl, maybe you could make her an open hammock or something? Just so she has a soft thing to use to get off her feet for a while without it seeming like a nest.
She really does look just exhausted. I think the male they had her in with was just beating her up whenever he could.

I’ll have to try something like a hammock/tent or fleece lined platform to get her to relax up high. She really wants to be as high as she can like most birds, but it looks so uncomfortable. Right now the bottom of her cage is a five inch thick layer of fleece so I’m not worried about her falling so much, but when she graduates to a bigger cage it’ll be more of an issue.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you so much for taking this adorable baby in!:heart:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What a cutie, and sad that there is a leg problem this early! It looks broken or like it was broken and healed? Is that what you’re thinking?

No stories here but hoping for good health and a positive outcome.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Bless you Lisa for taking this baby into your heart and home. The leg does look as if it has been broken, but it could be a congenital deformity too.

Looking at the vitamins they gave her, she must have been in pretty bad shape physically as well. You can fix her.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
What a cutie, and sad that there is a leg problem this early! It looks broken or like it was broken and healed? Is that what you’re thinking?

No stories here but hoping for good health and a positive outcome.
Bless you Lisa for taking this baby into your heart and home. The leg does look as if it has been broken, but it could be a congenital deformity too.

Looking at the vitamins they gave her, she must have been in pretty bad shape physically as well. You can fix her.

You both got it right. The vet confirmed BOTH legs were broken when she was younger (though she’s quite young now) and never received treatment so they healed this way. She has swollen lower tibias with skin lesions over the swelling. The old fracture sites may have a small infection so we’re treating her with clavamox to help her through this.
The standard new bird blood work was done and sent out. Should have results in a few days for that.
A splint or any kind of bandage won’t help her legs at this point; they won’t get worse but they won’t get better either. She’ll always need a modified cage with low perches and blankets on the floor.
She can be a healthy, happy girl with just those considerations implemented. :heart:

While I’m fuming that some person decided it was ok to see a baby bird have two broken legs and not get treatment for her, I’m focusing on the fact I have her now and she seems sooo happy since I put her in her new modified cage. There was no need for the tiny quarentine one any longer so she gets to fly (and she flies very well, it’s the landing that’s tough, but she’s figuring it out).

She uses the rope perches to land and the platform perch to rest on (I need to order more of those.) The rope perches enable her to land almost 100% like a non-handicap bird but if she tries to land on a flat surface she tumbles down. She’s really smart and figuring it out.

Here are some photos of her in her new digs. She seems much more relaxed. 379C7B3B-0080-45B1-8B77-9A915AA2A690.jpeg 21E158D4-FCBF-4BA7-B03A-65943B2C345F.jpeg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
So sad that it all could have been fixed - but wasn't. Yep she, like so many birds before her, will modify her life to counteract the neglect of her caretakers.

I would like to encourage you to watch her for pain - constant pain can be debilitating.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
So sad that it all could have been fixed - but wasn't. Yep she, like so many birds before her, will modify her life to counteract the neglect of her caretakers.

I would like to encourage you to watch her for pain - constant pain can be debilitating.
The vet seemed pretty confident that she’s not in pain and shouldn’t experience any, but I’ll definitely keep my eyes open looking for it. She has fleece on the bottom of he cage and she really seems to like. The prior owners had her in a typical small bird mesh wire floor cage.

It is very sad to think about someone seeing her hurt so badly and just leaving her like that.

She has been making very happy, sweet sounds since going into her new cage so I know she’s responding to care already. I think she’ll be better than good, especially once she figures out she won’t be left in her cage anymore.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank goodness there are people like you in this world. Poor little treasure will be very happy with you I think.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
She looks so much better today already. :)
This is day two of antibiotics, a clean living environment and warm mash (avian organics strawberry pudding is her favorite).
00A10608-A90C-4C28-BD5C-6408DF839107.jpeg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
:heart::heart::heart:
To happier news, her name is Gemma and she’s so sweet. Not a mean bone in her body, she reminds me of when I brought Bowser home as just a lost, hurt baby.
That is because she knows that you are her guardian angel! :heart:
And from all of my heart I say Thank You! ♥ for making that trip and rescuing her.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:heart::heart: