• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Henry starting to talk in context

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Lately Henry has been telling us when it's dinner time, bed time and out. If we don't respond quick enough he will repeat it will a loud "NOW" afterwards. Angel has picked up some words spoken by Henry and us. She will curse if there is a loud noise and then say shut up.

We aren't too happy with Angel cursing, and yes she has a couple of colourful words. We don't react to her cursing and surprisingly Henry hasn't picked it up.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
When they speak in context it always amazes me. I've been doing some research on avian intelligence and I believe in a lot of cases our birds have some kind of grasp on what they are saying. They clearly understand that if they make a certain noise it equates to a certain action, such as out to be taken out of the cage. Very cool that your guys are starting to do that. I haven't heard my Eckie say too much yet, except maybe "yeah" and "stop", but she makes soft "oohhh'ing" noises that are very cute, usually varying her tone per situation.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Henry is more talkative then Angel but I believe that's because Angel didn't have the social interaction like Henry did. Lately Angel has been more interactive with us so I hope that Angel will learn to talk more.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
It might also help if Angel sees Henry being more interactive and talkative.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Angel is already watching the interact between us and Henry, this why I believe why Angel is progressing so well.

Mococo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mo
My girl Coco does this and it never ceases to impress me. She says over 30 phrases, including 'yeah' and 'yep'. She rarely says no, usually just makes a game show buzzer sound. But if I ask her if she wants mango or spinach she says 'yeah' or 'woo'. Strawberry and carrot get a quick buzzer. If I give her something she said no to she throws it all on the ground while yelling and glaring. When it's dinner time she stands next to the bowl and says 'hi' or 'hey you' until I feed her.

I'm also impressed with how quickly she picks up vocabulary, especially that a certain word means a certain food.