• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hen incubating weirdly

yonswac

Strolling the yard
Hi

just wondering if this is usual, my sister has a cockatiel pair, and the hen laid the 1st egg on Friday 9 Jun,

this is the 1st time for her to breed,

she sits on her egg at night in a weird position, she doesn't fully fluff her feathers and sits on it correctly, she's just putting it underneath her vent and stand all night :D

what do you think guys :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Looks like she is awake. Perhaps she lays properly without being disturbed.

Id advise your friend not to bug them so much.

yonswac

Strolling the yard
Maybe, i was going with the thought that she may be inexperienced, as this her 1st clutch

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Do they, maybe, wait until they have a whole clutch before they start sitting correctly? I don't know........but I know some birds wait until all the eggs are laid before they actually get down to the business of sitting on them to hatch. But then @yonswac is also correct, it could also be inexperience. Hopefully someone else will chime in with "eggsperience"! LOL

yonswac

Strolling the yard
@nu2birds The male is actually sitting on the egg since day 1, i've read that if they didn't incubate for longer periods, the egg will mostly not hatch

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
How do you know how warm the egg Is?
Chances are the birds know a bit more about caring for eggs than we do?
I would leave them well alone to get on with the mammoth 24/7 task they are undertaking and have a little faith in mother nature.

yonswac

Strolling the yard
Just an update, she's now incubating properly since she laid the 2nd egg, it looks like that was her plan all along :D

Cassandra.c87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cassandra
It's common for cockatiels not to sit until the second egg is laid so she seems to know what she's doing :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If the hens don't start sitting immediately, it's possible for the eggs to go 2+ weeks without incubation and still be viable once incubation has began.

yonswac

Strolling the yard
She has laid a clutch of 4 eggs, all fertile, hopefully everything is going to be okay :)