• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Helping a flightless budgie?

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
A few weeks ago I rescued a budgie from a neglectful pet store, and though she's on the road to recovery now, she had plucked out most of her wing feathers at the pet store and now pretty much falls like a rock. She can flutter down if out of her cage, but in the cage she doesn't have enough time to slow her descent and will hit the bottom pretty hard.

I can't really get her a larger cage, because she's still pretty sick and I'm trying to conserve as many calories as possible with her, does anyone have any other ideas for keeping her from getting hurt? Thanks :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for rescuing the budgie. What is her name?
Pad the bottom of the cage with paper towels, no stringy towels or non pilling fleece. Lower the perches, add ladders and platforms and also consider lowering food & water dishes.
Hope she will be better soon.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When my budgies were babies I put layers of bath towels on the cage bottom and then put layers of newspaper on top and it worked just fine. Flat or platform perches low in the cage also help. Will the feathers grow back? There is a good feather health supplement sold on Amazon called Featheriffic.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Thank you for rescuing the budgie. What is her name?
Pad the bottom of the cage with paper towels, no stringy towels or non pilling fleece. Lower the perches, add ladders and platforms and also consider lowering food & water dishes.
Hope she will be better soon.
Her names Starburst, cause her coloring reminds me of the candy :)

I've lowered the dishes, and am padding the cage now. I added a heat pad at the bottom too as she seemed a little chilled.

When my budgies were babies I put layers of bath towels on the cage bottom and then put layers of newspaper on top and it worked just fine. Flat or platform perches low in the cage also help. Will the feathers grow back? There is a good feather health supplement sold on Amazon called Featheriffic.
Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping the feathers will grow back, as she's left her wings alone and I haven't seen any more evidence of plucking. Ill ask my vet on her next appointment if he would recommend the feather supplement!

-Pearl:budgie:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why do you think she is chilled? Only place the heating pad under 1/2 the cage so that if she gets too warm she can move to the side that is not being heated.
Starburst is a cute name.