• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Helped Petco Birds

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
So the Petco near me is always clean, well stocked and all animals are clean and well cared for. The staff is friendly and willing to learn. I have no issues there which is great as some of the other Petcos are usually the opposite.
Well the one issue I had with the store is the bird habitats. Being that the store is a few years old (less than 5) the paint in the habitats has been chewed and chipped by the birds. There are a couple of rough spots. I sent an email to corporate stating how pleased I am with the staff and store but that the cages needed to be replaced. I explained I knew from my experience as a manager in retail that getting new store fixtures and equipment is next to impossible. The other issue I addressed was the two parrotlets that had been there since February and while I was visiting this weekend, one female was plucking out her feathers. Being a dilute turquoise you could not really see since the down was there however I watched her pull out feathers and form a pile underneath her. I let the staff know and offered to take them but they are only authorized to give 25% off.
Well today I got a call from the manager thanking me for all the positive feedback and to tell me that corporate approved the new habitats he had been wanting. All because I said they were due for replacing. As you know corporate wants a store to make due until a customer says something. He was very happy especially since he had just taken over the store a few months ago and was trying to make it the best.
He then said his district manager said I could take the parrotlets at 50% off which is still a bit more than I could get a healthy baby for but I don't care. They are going in the aviary with the other parrotlets where they can fly, climb, chew and be birds. And really I spend more than that on weekends anyways.
So I say it is a win. I also told store to not try parrotlets again. They are great birds and I love them but they are best to just stick to what will sell. Of course I'd prefer if they stopped birds all together.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
It was so good of you to take the time to do this. I'm happy to hear you gave the parrotlets a home. 6 months is too long for a bird to stay in a store. There is a jenday in the petco here for a couple months now and every time I go in there it's puffed up with eyes closed and seeming to shiver. I thought it was sick at first. Now I think it's badly depressed.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Stress can do a lot to a bird. Do hope that once she gets into the aviary the plucking will stop. The second parrotlet is not plucking but I cant stand the thought of one getting out and the other staying another 6 months. I am fortunate in that I have the money, space and time for all my pets and a few extra.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Also want to add that I am aware that taking two out means they have room for two more and thus perpetuates the never ending circle. Kind of a damned if you and they're damned if ya don't.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good on you.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Also to add that if you notice an issue at a pet store chain like old cages, poor diets, pluckers, etc. Contact main office and start change. Stores can be limited and bringing to the attention of the head honchos that customers are noticing issues will cause change.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Good job.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Also want to add that I am aware that taking two out means they have room for two more and thus perpetuates the never ending circle. Kind of a damned if you and they're damned if ya don't.
It may but hopefully they will listen to you and not get any more parrotlets. Thank you for taking these birds in and giving them a good home.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Well they came home this morning. The store manager said he has put in a request to not get parrotlets again. Hopefully they listen to him. I told him that parrotlets are great little birds and when they are tame they are active, playful, ballsy and sweet but most people want bigger birds. I spent more than I wanted but it was about them and not me. Luckily I can afford it and I was smart enough to put on a card so I could get points before paying it off next week. The female is in pretty rough shape because of the plucking but seems to have settled in aviary quickly. She was sitting next to and loving on another parrotlet in just a few hours. The male is enjoying zooming around. Think I will go and cut some bottle brush limbs off our trees this weekend and replace what is in there in case there is any terrirtoialism

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Thank you.

I would love to see a picture of your aviary if you don't mind.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for doing this! Sounds like the parrotlets are comfortable in their new home.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
They are still a little spastic when I walk it but they will get over that qucik.