• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP!!!!!

d_hoover18

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,

So I found an ad on Craigslist, someone was looking to trade their sun/jenday conure for an indian ringneck. So I immediately worried about the safety of the conure given that the owner is willing to trade the bird away.

I replied to the ad asking why they wanted to trade it away. I said I'd be interested in purchasing it from you if you just don't want it anymore. They responded saying they wanted to trade it but not anymore, they just want to sell it now. They said they wanted to trade it because they can only have two parrots and they got a ringneck already.

I'll try to keep this a short as I can. Right now he has 2 Sun/Jenday conures and they are caged together. He said he wants to get rid of the one because he never formed a bond with it and the other one he has. He said he isn't sure the gender but he thinks its a male. It was born in 2013 and it has green wings which makes me believe its a Jenday. He said he is really tame, scared at first of new people but then he's good.

I told him that if I purchase him, I'm worried about separating the Jendays because they are caged together and they may have formed a bond. He said it will be fine because the other conure is bonded to him. He said he had his other conure for years and he got this one so she isn't lonely but he never formed a bond with it.

I asked for a price and he said $300 cash.

What are your thoughts?!?!?!?! I have my 7 month old green cheek who is extremely bonded to me. I'm worried I might lose that bond if I get another bird. Can Jendays and Green cheeks co-exist in the same household?

My main concern remains losing the bond I have with my Green Cheek Maverick.

Please help me!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are no guarantees :)

My main concern would be that Jendays are a bit bigger than green cheeks so if they do not get along, you may have to keep separate out times for them as the Jenday could harm the green cheek (especially since greenies don't know they are small!). Do you have a place to quarantine the Jenday to prevent getting your greenie sick?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
People do strange ads on Craig's list....never the less, there's a bird needing a home...bonded or not, it will need a forever home.
Never mind about the idiot selling it, or trading it off, I could never do that, and can't get my head around people that do that.
But concentrate on bird, sure you'll have jealousy issues with other bird perhaps, but there is always ways around that. In the end, they'll get along and accept one another as flock...they probably won't bond, but that's ok.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In the end, they'll get along and accept one another as flock...they probably won't bond, but that's ok.

I disagree completely. My Hahns and Green Cheek did NOT get along at all. There are many degrees of "flock" and acceptance and bonding are only two of them. While similar species tend to get along, it is not a guarantee.

Birds can kill each other through cage bars if they don't get along; we've had it happen on this forum.

d_hoover18

Meeting neighbors
@Mizzely right now I do not have another cage. I'm looking for one on facebook marketplace in my area. If I do decide to go through with this I will be putting the Jenday in another room. How long should I keep them separate?

@Hawk12237 if they don't bond that's fine with me. Tolerating each other and not fighting would be ideal. We also have a dachshund named Stella. Her and Maverick get along with no issues. Of course Maverick isn't afraid of her at all but Stella is super cautious around Maverick. I don't see Stella being a problem with them at all and of course I would never let them be around each other unsupervised.

d_hoover18

Meeting neighbors

I disagree completely. My Hahns and Green Cheek did NOT get along at all. There are many degrees of "flock" and acceptance and bonding are only two of them. While similar species tend to get along, it is not a guarantee.

Birds can kill each other through cage bars if they don't get along; we've had it happen on this forum.
@Mizzely were you still able to have a bond with both of them? I know I'm overthinking this way too much but I would be heartbroken if Maverick decided "you know what, forget you. You got another bird"

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely were you still able to have a bond with both of them? I know I'm overthinking this way too much but I would be heartbroken if Maverick decided "you know what, forget you. You got another bird"

Yes, but you have to remember something - once a bird goes through puberty, their relationship with you may change. My green cheek went from very much a velcro, needed to be with me baby bird to very independent and not wanting to cuddle as an adult, whereas my Hahns came to me as an adult and bonded with me right away. Our relationships were very different. The relationship you have now may change regardless if you bring home another bird or not.

They usually don't just "forget you", but they may establish a pair bond that will change your relationship. As much as it sucks, bonding with another bird is healthier for your bird. Trying to mate bond with you can lead to a host of issues down the road. Most pair bonded birds don't just give up their bond with the human, it just changes is all.

Quarantine is usually 60 days as that is enough time for anything dormant to surface. http://www.beaknwings.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=289&Itemid=440

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Mizzely right now I do not have another cage. I'm looking for one on facebook marketplace in my area. If I do decide to go through with this I will be putting the Jenday in another room. How long should I keep them separate?

@Hawk12237 if they don't bond that's fine with me. Tolerating each other and not fighting would be ideal. We also have a dachshund named Stella. Her and Maverick get along with no issues. Of course Maverick isn't afraid of her at all but Stella is super cautious around Maverick. I don't see Stella being a problem with them at all and of course I would never let them be around each other unsupervised.

I've had 3 dachshunds several years back around my birds. Never had a problem. They learned that hey, these birds have a mean looking beak, and it could hurt.
My grey once rode on the back of one of the dachshund 's . Quite funny! The dachshund was sleeping but my grey noticed the shiny tag on its collar. Hopped on, dog stood up ran off with grey hanging on by feet on back, and dog tag.
It was like a rodeo! Then grey hopped off after a few feet, went " whooooo" , I looked at him and said did you have fun there!?!? He bobbed his head up and down saying yes.

d_hoover18

Meeting neighbors
I've had 3 dachshunds several years back around my birds. Never had a problem. They learned that hey, these birds have a mean looking beak, and it could hurt.
My grey once rode on the back of one of the dachshund 's . Quite funny! The dachshund was sleeping but my grey noticed the shiny tag on its collar. Hopped on, dog stood up ran off with grey hanging on by feet on back, and dog tag.
It was like a rodeo! Then grey hopped off after a few feet, went " whooooo" , I looked at him and said did you have fun there!?!? He bobbed his head up and down saying yes.

That is fantastic!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

True they can. My grey nd BFA are best buddies, two completely different spieces. Never harmed
Each other. My budgie liked to sit next BFA and cuddle, never harmed each other,
My senny would open the cage door to red factor male canary and sit beside it. They got along fine. Distinct spieces.
So I will disagree with you right back. :cool:
It's all in the unique personality and up bringing of the bird. You could get these very same birds and put them together and have problems...others will not with same ones....
So... I say..

:agreetodisagree:

IMG_20190101_220201.jpg

Last edited:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I think the end thing to take away from this is, be cautious and see how it goes. But, I'm of the mind better to be careful than sorry. If Slade was allowed around any other birds he would kill them. There is absolutely no question in my mind about that.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I think the end thing to take away from this is, be cautious and see how it goes. But, I'm of the mind better to be careful than sorry. If Slade was allowed around any other birds he would kill them. There is absolutely no question in my mind about that.
Proper introduction and allowance to get to know each other from a safe distance is the key. :teacher:
I introduced all of mine in groups, on me. Meaning, I had two that totally hate each other at first. But one on shoulder,one on one arm,one in the other ...a flock thing. :choir: And they got along fine as all of us together as a flock.
Monitoring is the key always....never leave them on their own at first.
Mine sleep out of cage all in same bird room at night, and sometimes they sleep next to each other. I never had to worry...I
I can understand people's concern about it, but its all in how you approach it, how you introduce them, how you all mingle, and always leave an out for any bird to get away if need be...
Its very simple really, for just about any bird to get along.... I've had 8 different parrots in the house at one time, 32 total over years, several different spieces. I never ever once had any bird fight, ever. :pillowfight:I have had a couple that didn't care for each other, but they just sat on other perches and never bothered one another. And never ever do I shut cage door... Every parrot I had free roamed at will. Never caged.:cage1:

Last edited:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
@Hawk12237 And that may work for you, who says I didn't try? Who says I don't KNOW they aren't safe with him. You're making a lot of assumptions about my ability to know my own parrots body language and personality. Just because something has worked for you DOES NOT mean it'll work for everyone. I do not care how much experience you had. I also wouldn't ever let my parrot ride my dog because of the risk, and I am allowed to feel that it is a risk. I'm glad it works for you but birds are individuals and not every single thing will work for every single bird, and it's honestly dangerous that you're trying shove your way of working with your parrots down people's throats like they don't know any better. You may one day get a parrot killed off your advice, and how would that make you feel then?

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Oh wow. My impulse would be to get them if you can safely quarantine the Jenday. But, you have to decide if that would work with you. There's no guarantee that any bird will get along, but I'll shout out to @webchirp who knows a lot about conures.

I keep my macaw and conure separate with out of cage play time. Because of the extreme difference in size, I would never let them out together. Neither boy is aggressive but, it wouldn't take much from my macaw for something heartbreaking to happen, even if he was just playing or just didn't want Tibs that close to him. Sam is cage free except when Tibs is out. I will never give them the ability to reach each other. I don't feel comfortable with it. Simple as that.

Edit it add: Sam can't reach Tibs because he cannot fly. And he doesn't like the stuff I put on the table between he and Tibs so he won't climb over there.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 And that may work for you, who says I didn't try? Who says I don't KNOW they aren't safe with him. You're making a lot of assumptions about my ability to know my own parrots body language and personality. Just because something has worked for you DOES NOT mean it'll work for everyone. I do not care how much experience you had. I also wouldn't ever let my parrot ride my dog because of the risk, and I am allowed to feel that it is a risk. I'm glad it works for you but birds are individuals and not every single thing will work for every single bird, and it's honestly dangerous that you're trying shove your way of working with your parrots down people's throats like they don't know any better. You may one day get a parrot killed off your advice, and how would that make you feel then?
Did you get your feather in a bunch...I did mention that it doesn't work for everyone.
Did you read it right? If not read readit!.
I didn't chose to have my parrot ride my dog... It just happened, besides the dog passed away long ago.
You can raise your parrots any way that you like, I have raised them now for 47 years and my way had been pretty successful. They all get along quite well.
Andi mentioned it does not work for every bird. Quit pulling things out of content and read things properly before you speak.

Last edited:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Even though all 3 of mine are out all day they don't interact. Its like they have their own territory. Its best not to encourage them to feel dependent "cuddle too much". I think thats what happens when they acquire self destructive issues. They become so dependent on your attention if something happens to change that...illness/work etc they can't deal with it. Honestly, Nelson and Kiwi let me know when they want me by calling to me and sitting on the edge of the cage. They are all fully flighted. The only one that will make a swoop around the house looking for me is Kiwi. They are tame and well adjusted, happy and healthy and I like they don't "need" me.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Even though all 3 of mine are out all day they don't interact. Its like they have their own territory. Its best not to encourage them to feel dependent "cuddle too much". I think thats what happens when they acquire self destructive issues. They become so dependent on your attention if something happens to change that...illness/work etc they can't deal with it. Honestly, Nelson and Kiwi let me know when they want me by calling to me and sitting on the edge of the cage. They are all fully flighted. The only one that will make a swoop around the house looking for me is Kiwi. They are tame and well adjusted, happy and healthy and I like they don't "need" me.
Personally , I don't mind if they want to feel they want momma or daddy at times...there are days when they aren't so needy, but other days they are.
I inadvertently dealing with a very sick bird,
Had stoke/siezure, and developed an infection.
I thought I lost her a few days ago, she went limp, no power to hold her head up, but pushed on, and constant syringe feeding and 4 different meds, she finally acts like her old self again. Though blind out of one eye now.
I've been stressed, seriously cranky from lack of sleep, and now glad she's recovering. I can get back to my old self as well.
My birds are independent, they make their choices with my approval, and watch over to them. It's a happy flock, and I like it like that.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Oh wow. My impulse would be to get them if you can safely quarantine the Jenday. But, you have to decide if that would work with you. There's no guarantee that any bird will get along, but I'll shout out to @webchirp who knows a lot about conures.

I keep my macaw and conure separate with out of cage play time. Because of the extreme difference in size, I would never let them out together. Neither boy is aggressive but, it wouldn't take much from my macaw for something heartbreaking to happen, even if he was just playing or just didn't want Tibs that close to him. Sam is cage free except when Tibs is out. I will never give them the ability to reach each other. I don't feel comfortable with it. Simple as that.

Edit it add: Sam can't reach Tibs because he cannot fly. And he doesn't like the stuff I put on the table between he and Tibs so he won't climb over there.
Hi Steph, oh I agree there is no guarantee that any bird would get along.
I'll tell you an incident that happened just at start of year, my budgie twinkie, was out of cage. ( my wife got her out, and I didn't know) and poppers my Zon was perched on living room.
Twinkie launched off and landed directly on poppers back. I thought ohhhh no no no....but poppers turned and grabbed Twinkie ever so gently, off her back and put her down on perch....my heart was in my throat! But neither fought, and Twinkie just cuddled up next to her. The picture worth a million words....then just looking at each other. Her looking down at her, Twinkie looking up at poppers.
From that day on they were buddies. I let it be that way. Would I recommend it? heck no!! My point is in behavioral aspects, you can't always "assume" they will harm each other.
Most people won't take that chance. I get that!
And personally I wouldn't either. But I observe and sometimes things happen ( like that incident) that totally changes how you view the behavior of birds.
.I had Grayson ( my grey ) before I had poppers...they wanted nothing to do with one another. Over time they both wanted on me at same time. So I began letting them. But knowing they didn't care for each other, I played the nuteral inbetween, talk to both. Let them both talk back. They watch each other talk.
Now fast forward many years, they are best of buddies. They shout at each other... Grayson tells poppies " poppers, be quite" .... Poppers says " hi grey grey" ....
Only one very mean bird I took in once, a very abused senny....didn't even like my senny birdell.
Matter of fact he 'd fight with his own shadow! He had to be out separately. He liked no one and no bird. A very difficult parrot. Male that was bonded and used for breeding. Lost its mate and turned very mean.
My Too's major and Billy jean would play catch with a paper ball on couch, quite hilarious!
Lou my military, liked to be first up, climb up on bed and wake me and wife up sitting on foot board letting out a scream to wake the dead!
Lou liked hanging out with the greys and Billy jean, but didn't care for major. Lou would just awk loud and show feathers, major would walk away muttering in too language.
Sometimes we can't always assume the worst, and birds tend to prove us wrong many times over. But the saying better to be safe than sorry, I get that and do agree with that, but I also believe in letting a bird be a bird.

Last edited:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Hi Steph, oh I agree there is no guarantee that any bird would get along.
I'll tell you an incident that happened just at start of year, my budgie twinkie, was out of cage. ( my wife got her out, and I didn't know) and poppers my Zon was perched on living room.
Twinkie launched off and landed directly on poppers back. I thought ohhhh no no no....but poppers turned and grabbed Twinkie ever so gently, off her back and put her down on perch....my heart was in my throat! But neither fought, and Twinkie just cuddled up next to her. The picture worth a million words....then just looking at each other. Her looking down at her, Twinkie looking up at poppers.
From that day on they were buddies. I let it be that way. Would I recommend it? heck no!! My point is in behavioral aspects, you can't always "assume" they will harm each other.
Most people won't take that chance. I get that!
And personally I wouldn't either. But I observe and sometimes things happen ( like that incident) that totally changes how you view the behavior of birds.
.I had Grayson ( my grey ) before I had poppers...they wanted nothing to do with one another. Over time they both wanted on me at same time. So I began letting them. But knowing they didn't care for each other, I played the nuteral inbetween, talk to both. Let them both talk back. They watch each other talk.
Now fast forward many years, they are best of buddies. They shout at each other... Grayson tells poppies " poppers, be quite" .... Poppers says " hi grey grey" ....
Only one very mean bird I took in once, a very abused senny....didn't even like my senny birdell.
Matter of fact he 'd fight with his own shadow! He had to be out separately. He liked no one and no bird. A very difficult parrot. Male that was bonded and used for breeding. Lost its mate and turned very mean.
My Too's major and Billy jean would play catch with a paper ball on couch, quite hilarious!
Lou my military, liked to be first up, climb up on bed and wake me and wife up sitting on foot board letting out a scream to wake the dead!
Lou liked hanging out with the greys and Billy jean, but didn't care for major. Lou would just awk loud and show feathers, major would walk away muttering in too language.
Sometimes we can't always assume the worst, and birds tend to prove us wrong many times over. But the saying better to be safe than sorry, I get that and do agree with that, but I also believe in letting a bird be a bird.

I wasn’t commenting upon your methods, I was simply stating what I do. I know my birds, and I won’t take a risk I deem unnecessary.

I’m glad no harm came to your birds from each other or your dogs. You do you, I’ll do me. We’re all just trying to give our birds the best home we can.

They’re birds being birds in a manufactured environment no matter what we do or let them do.