• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help

Garlynn

Checking out the neighborhood
yesterday my beautiful double headed yellow Amazon was diagnosed with a “mass” in her chest. It was recommended that she be put down, but then the Dr said take her home and spend as much time with her. She goes through the motion of regurgitating but I never saw anything come up. I am feeding her baby food to make it easy for her. She is eating n drinking water. I don’t want to let her go but I also don’t want her to suffer. Does anybody know of any medication that can devolve the mass or am I just reaching for the stars? She also does not look like she is suffering.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I am so sorry. Did you go to an avian vet?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know, but don't think that there is any medication that would "dissolve" the mass. There are a couple of things you can do that MAY give your baby a longer life and a more comfortable one.

First you can give your bird Prozyme https://smile.amazon.com/Lambert-Ka...7162&s=gateway&sprefix=prozyme,aps,201&sr=8-7 which will help digest it's food and provide more nutrients. Reglan (Metaclopramide) will reduce the regurgitation and probiotics will keep her digestion stable.

My Hank died from a carcogenic mass that pressed on his heart until it stopped his heart. He was loved, made comfortable and loved until he died.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do we know what the mass is? If it's a tumor, then there's probably nothing that can be done. If it's an abscess or fungal granuloma, then intervention might be possible. But it may not be possible to determine that.

Kodigirl210

Did the doctor do a needle aspirate? I have to believe so if the vet made the determination they couldn’t do treatment.

That being said it is most likely due to the size and positioning of the mass-it is probably pressing down on everything so she feels like her heart and tummy are feeling squished which will make her feel like she needs to throw up. It’s just a reflexive action on her part and not an indication of pain, probably just a little discomfort. Like an itch you just can’t quite scratch or when you have a tickle in your throat and feel like you should cough but it doesn’t quite get there.

I know that if it comes to that you will take her back to the vet and until then as long as she continues to eat, drink and breathe without any undue stress-cuddle, scritch & treat galore your special little girl. Hopefully it will give you both the time you need.

:sadhug2::sad14: :sadhug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. Maybe get a second opinion?

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
yesterday my beautiful double headed yellow Amazon was diagnosed with a “mass” in her chest. It was recommended that she be put down, but then the Dr said take her home and spend as much time with her. She goes through the motion of regurgitating but I never saw anything come up. I am feeding her baby food to make it easy for her. She is eating n drinking water. I don’t want to let her go but I also don’t want her to suffer. Does anybody know of any medication that can devolve the mass or am I just reaching for the stars? She also does not look like she is suffering.
A picture would help.. is it visible?

Last edited: