• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP!

LizDu

Moving in
Hope someone can help. I know little about birds but I'm worried about some caged birds at my sister's nursing home. Especially a sad lonely galah there who loves a pat. His cage seems too small to me. I'd like to offer to buy the home a large aviary, but I need to know whether different bird breeds can be housed together? They have budgies and finches. All have their sepatate cages. My idea would be to put them all in a large one altogether, but perhaps that would stress them out - particularly the galah? So am I better just to concentrate on getting him a better cage with some enviro enrichment. It's so sad it's stressing me out. If you know of anyone in Melbourne I can speak to, or anyone anywhere I can email with photos I would appreciate it.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
That won't work =( the Galah could easily injure or kill the smaller birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's nice of you to want to help. What's the Galah's cage size? Maybe we can give you some ideas on toys, etc to help. Hopefully some of our Australian members can have some ideas for you too.

@Stormcloud ? @Lodah ? @Vegemite ?

Last edited:

LizDu

Moving in
It's nice of you to want to help. What's the Galah's cage size? Maybe we can give you some ideas on toys, etc to help. Hopefully some of our Australian members can have some ideas for you too.

@Stormcloud ? @Lodah ? @Vegemite ?
Thanks for the info & letting me know combined housing isn't an option.

I didn't actually take the measurements, but I've attached photos here. Hope that gives you can idea.

Poor fella/miss could hardly stretch the wings in that size cage - just feel he needs something wider. He obviously never gets out of his cage.

The other day we had a couple of days of 36C heat and they had shade up but it must have been stifling (for all of them). All cages are on wheels but I don't think they would be allowed to have the birds in the air conditioning.

Any comments/suggestions would be fantastic as well as comments on the other birds housing.

Attachments

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
You're right the galah's cage is much to small my answer to your question would be as long as the aviary is huge like I mean Gigantic like a big one then it would be okay to mix them all together as that gives the smaller birds area to run and hide then the galah will get used to them and they will establish a pecking order!
What you're doing is incredibly respectable!
z5c0ddf0c56339.gif

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
That cage is way too small. Not sure where you are?
Some of the nursing homes here, those birds/ cages are rented by a company, for entertainment for the residents. I know that some of those companies are very very touchy about other people doing anything for those birds.
My grandma was nursing home, where there were birds. Crammed jammed aviary full of budgies, finches and a couple of doves. I about had snit fit their aviary was dirty, perches that hadn't been cleaned since God was a child, dirty nasty water dishes. When I went to get those babies fresh water. The ---- aviary was locked, you couldn't get in. REALLY?¡¿!. I was disgusted and filed complaint with head nurse. Two weeks later they removed the aviary put in a fish tank that equally as dirty.
So find out who's birds they are before you do anything.

LizDu

Moving in
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

Would the galah be stressed out being put in a new cage on his own?
Or stressed put into an aviary with the other birds?

I'm in Melbourne Australia, so I don't think the cages are from a private company, but I wondered whether they started from residents pets that were brought in. Another question I have is whether I should approach the individual home management, or approach head office? This is a company that runs several nursing homes around Melbourne. I'm tempted to write to head office in case their other homes have birds in a similar situation. Our Government has a Code of Practice for minimum housing standards etc, but I don't know whether I should raise this initially or later if they are reluctant to change.

I will be writing to someone and will hoping they discuss it with me. I know how touchy these subjects can be - "oooh, you care more about the birds than the residents' conditions!". I don't want to deprive the residents, but there's so many issues for the poor birds to ensure they are happy and as free as they can be. I also don't want to encourage the home to retain caged birds so perhaps an aviary isn't the way to go (a resident told me they were breeding however).

I'm so depressed about the issue, it's stressing me out. Particularly distressed that I have had to help/response from any society in my own town that I've reached out to with questions about this. I really want to help, but I want expert advice to do what's best and if the home gives permission I'd love a cage bird person or aviary builder to come out with me. I guess that's a bit down the track though.

Please keep your eye on this thread as you guys are the only help I've received - God luv ya!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can I ask where abouts in Melbourne this nursing home is?

I suggest you talk with management to find out who owns the birds, who is responsible for their care etc. the only thing is you want to be very cautious about this as it may end up that they just decide the birds have to go ASAP. This happened in another nursing home I know of, they let residents bring their pets to make the transition easier for the people and once there was a concern raised for the way the cat had to stay out in the courtyard in all types of weather the managements solution was to tell the family of the resident who owned the cat that it had to go.

If I was you I would try to find out as much as possible about how the birds came to be at the home, who they belong to, who is responsible to look after them, why they are there, then maybe raise the issue of the size of the cages and other appropriate care requirements. I would also possibly offer to help fundraise or purchase the cage you think the bird would be better off in. I am happy to give you names of some places in Melbourne where you can get really decent size cages for fairly cheap prices if it gets to that point.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I would not house him with other birds.

LizDu

Moving in
Can I ask where abouts in Melbourne this nursing home is?

I suggest you talk with management to find out who owns the birds, who is responsible for their care etc. the only thing is you want to be very cautious about this as it may end up that they just decide the birds have to go ASAP. This happened in another nursing home I know of, they let residents bring their pets to make the transition easier for the people and once there was a concern raised for the way the cat had to stay out in the courtyard in all types of weather the managements solution was to tell the family of the resident who owned the cat that it had to go.

If I was you I would try to find out as much as possible about how the birds came to be at the home, who they belong to, who is responsible to look after them, why they are there, then maybe raise the issue of the size of the cages and other appropriate care requirements. I would also possibly offer to help fundraise or purchase the cage you think the bird would be better off in. I am happy to give you names of some places in Melbourne where you can get really decent size cages for fairly cheap prices if it gets to that point.
Hi Shezbug,

It's in Sunshine.

I've done the letter. I'm sending it to the CEO of the 'chain' of homes along with the relevant section of the Code of Practice. It will be posted this weekend.

I completely understand your concerns - I'm aware that removal could be a possibility. That's why I've kept the letter pretty low key, non threatening/demanding and pointing out that the Galah's housing is urgent, but that I don't want the residents to lose their pets.

I have offered to chat with her or another appropriate member of staff to resolve the issue. I will pay for a cage if I have to. I will rehome him/her at my place if I have to.

I just feel that the whole organisation should be aware of these things before they take them on. It's a tough call I know with many things that could go wrong.

I'm really stressing out about it all and I hope I'm not doing the wrong thing by anyone, but I can't stand by and watch an animal suffer purely because of lack of knowledge (most likely) or time constraints.

And I hope they do speak to me before they decide anything - although I dread speaking to them as I'm a better writer than chatter.

And I might have to take up your offer of the places in Melbourne that might offer housing to suit.

I'll keep you posted.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I totally understand your situation and I really feel for you. Try not to stress yourself out about it too much and lets just see what comes of your letter. Did you offer in the letter to buy a cage for the galah? That may make a big difference in how they respond to the matter. I know a lot of the places are in a spot where they can not have massive cages and enclosures for the animals they let stay for the residents, it is not fair on the animals but it is also not fair for the residents to loose their animal companions because the facility wont budge on the size of the animals enclosure, it is a tough one really. At the end of the day you need to do what makes you feel like you have done the right thing. I am wondering if this is a matter of them not knowing any better or if they just do not care as long as the residents are happy. If you think I can help in any way please let me know. I just hope they do decide to chat with you or send you a letter back and not just go get rid of the birds.....whole new problem then of the birds being given to anyone who will take them so I will keep my fingers crossed they do converse with you first.

LizDu

Moving in
Thanks Shezbug. I hope so too - I haven't offered to buy yet as I didn't want to give them too much info. Thought they would snap that option up rather than look at all solutions if I did. So I hope they call as I made it clear I don't want the residents to lose their pets. If they do call, I reakon I'll be able to suss out their thinking straight away, and if they sound like it's too much trouble or money for them I'll offer straight up. I know sending them the Code of Practice might sound a bit threatening, but I'm not a bird expert and I felt I had to show them evidence of my claim. But I did say I don't want residents to lose their pets.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That is so great @LizDu that you are trying to help the birds there!
I agree to try and find out from the staff you see working there to see who is in charge of caring for them, and how aware they are about the aspects of keeping birds as pets.
Good luck to you, and keep us posted - I hope your letter will be well received, and breaks the ice for allowing new and better conditions there.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@LizDu I totally commend you for doing this. Please keep us posted on the out come of the birds. They do all need to be in bigger cages as the sizes are not big enough for the Galah to have a good stretch at least.

LizDu

Moving in
Well the letter has been posted. I did change it a tad to offer to donate a cage for the galah at least, so I'm hoping they'll utilise me to sort out logistics with that at least & then we could tackle the rest. I don't hold much hope for the other birds, but we'll see how we go. Have to get to first base first!

Hopefully I'll need your Melbourne resources Shezbug. And thanks for your comments as it did make me rethink the letter.

Thanks for all your support - wish us luck!

And good vibes that the poor galah survives it all before I can rehome him. We've had horrid humid hot weather.

I must give him/her a name - anyone know how you can tell his gender?

LizDu

Moving in
Hi all - good news. CEO has called me and left a message that she thinks we can "do something really positive here". That's in relation to the galah, but hopefully I can extend to other birds. I haven't spoken to her in person yet as we're playing a bit of telephone tag, but hopefully this afternoon.

Shezbug, can you give me the names of the places that sell avarian items in Melbourne that you mentioned?

Thanks!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You did a wonderful thing. Hope that they will get a larger cage for that Galah and also upgrade cages of other birds whose living quarters are too small.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@LizDu, I have sent you a PM.

LizDu

Moving in
Hi all, still playing telephone tag, but cross fingers we'll get to speak today sometime.

In the meantime, Shezbug has provided a contact for sourcing a larger cage and I'm looking at a few options. I've got a few questions for you all though and would love
your input.
  1. I'd love your opinions on 4 possible cages from largest (A) to smallest (D). I'm looking at the largest, but it describes the cage wire size as approx. 1cm which sounds really small to me. Can someone explain the importance of this? (besides being able to give him a scratch through the wire :)
  2. Best cage.png
  3. Would love your comments on which cage you like best & why (consider perch material etc).
  4. Would the steel roof make it hotter? They are under shade for most of the time I think & his current cage has a towel over it
  5. Seed spillage. His current cage has paper or something to stop this. The cage I'm looking at doesn't have the "gutter" tray down the bottom which others have. This might be an issue for the home as far as mess goes, but does anyone know if the gutters actually help catch the seed coverings?
  6. Enviro enrichment - what do galah's like best to play with?
  7. In relation to the other birds, I know they have budgies and canaries (or some sort of finches ? - pardon my ignorance). Could these all be housed in one large aviary or do the different species have to be separated?
There will probably be more questions later.

Thanks again!