• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help

Karen Blevins

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I am three days into being a caicque mommy. Russell is 2 years old and I rescued him from a rescue lol. A house full of small children and extreamly loud music. He is pretty onry, and I am scared of him he keeps biting bringing blood I can't hold him with out a blanket on my hand. He seems to really love my son but he also bit him today and brought blood. I have been letting him out of his cage everyday when I get home but It doesn't take long for him to get bossy if you will and starts trying to bit if I try and put him back up. Any sugesstions... I just want him to let me LOVE on him and play with him. Help!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Temi's Tavern

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Temi
It seems that he is scared about his new surroundings, You should probably give him more time to open up, Do not rush anything with him. Start by keeping him in his cage and talking to him quietly. Maybe sing or read to him if you want. Give him treats every day and then wait for him to begin to open up to you. Hope this helps

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcme

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! He's still settling in and may just need some time to adjust. I'm sure some of our caique people can offer advice. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Karen Blevins

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you! Well we have had him for 2-3weeks now. We always talk to him and he whistles at us. I let him out to explore everyday when I get off work. He still just as soon as he gets out, he acts like he is not scared of anything he just acts like he owns the place and like I dare you to try and stop me. He like instantly starts tearing up things biting holes in my furniture. Pooping on stuff. I try to see if he wants to play in water or I give him stuff that he can tear up. I give him fresh fruits and veggies everyday... clean his cage and water. I try to hold him and he is just MEAN! His beak is long too i am scared of being bit. I have to put a blanket on my hands and grab him because he WILL NOT step up to go back in his cage. Its is really something trying to get him back in. I dont know anything about him or how he was raised. It makes me sad because I want so badly to be his friend and love on him. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Usually they will scramble back in for their favorite nuts.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Patience. If you’re scared of having him step up, try taking a T perch and have him use that instead. Because grabbing him with a blanket will lead to more problems.
I don’t own one, but I’ve heard they can be handfuls. Keep an eye on his body language and learn it to avoid a bite.

Drop treats in his bowl and give him more time.

Mine have learned over the years that when I pull out the nutriberry container, that it’s time to go to bed. They know they won’t get one until I get a kiss, and then they go right into their cage.

It took over 6 months for my green cheek to trust me. Time and a perch is going to be your best friend right now!

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
And 2 years for my B&G to trust and come to me