• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!

CarinaMD

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carina Daugherty
WellI was supposed to take my GCC to the vet Friday for its wellness exam and DNA test, however, it is turning into more and I now go tomorrow morning. Some slow progress in step up training and I let it out to play, well it wanted to on the floor so I put some toys down for it. It got too close to the dog cage and my one dog nipped its toe. It was a lot of blood and with my help of my dad, we were able to clean it up and see it better, and it wasn't as bad as we thought it was. So I called my avian vet and they asked to move the appointment. I feel so bad, I was watching it and was close but it happened so fast, and it never would get close to the cage before. I always put my dogs away before I let the bird out. Its foot is sore and is definitely not very active right now. He/she will be ok until tomorrow morning right? I'm still freaking out. I'm so scared and yes I know it's my fault so please spare me.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
, well it wanted to on the floor so I put some toys down for it.

I have repeatedly written that the floor is not a safe place for a bird in posting on AA. I am sorry you bird was bitten but frankly your bird could have had must more serious injury. Please review how to bird proof you home.

Ask A Vet Online For Free 24/7 - PetCoach

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Dianne/Lady Jane is so right (as usual).

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
I am so sorry. Glad it wasn’t any worse then it was. I am a novice but from what I have read it is not an uncommon injury and he should be fine until tomorrow when you are able to get to the vet.
Don’t beat yourself up too much.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hopefully he will be fine until tomorrow, but it is good that you got the visit moved up. Mammal saliva can be toxic to birds so the quicker you get him in, the better his chances!

CarinaMD

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carina Daugherty
Do you know what Kwik Stop is?
I know what it is. Actually that was something I was gonna go buy this weekend, but my dad just put flour or geletain powder in a little box and put my bird in it and it stopped. I don't really know what it was, cause he ran home quick and came back with the box and power already poutes in. He had birds before

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
Corn starch and flour are both good for helping to stop the bleeding. That was quick thinking on your dad’s part. Let us know how the vet appointment goes.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I laugh because despite the KwikStop being for them, I've used more on myself!

Glad your dad thought fast! Reminds me of what the vet gave me. A small, capped vial for labs got a cotton ball pushed in then KwikStop on top. It's a perfect size for sticking bleeding toes and feet in!

Have a safe trip!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If the dog tore your bird's foot with it's mouth - you could be in serious trouble. Most mammals, especially cats and dogs, have Pasteurella bacteria as a native bacteria in their saliva and Pasteurella is deadly for birds.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/03079458608436341

Get your bird into the vet on an emergency basis is the only advice I have.

CarinaMD

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carina Daugherty
I'm home from the vet. Aside from some slight bruising under it's foot and slight swelling everything looks great. I just gotta keep an eye on it and keep it clean.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Was any sort of antibiotic given for the possible infection from the dog bite?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
If you were not prescribed an antibiotic and an antifungal I would call the vet back. A bite definitely allowed mammal bacteria to enter the bloodstream so this could become an emergency. Best wishes that everything is fine.