• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help!!!

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I am, right now, having a severe allergic reaction to some topical OTC medicine. This has happened to me in the past with adhesives, even paper tape. I'll get huge red burning welts once in a while when I have to have tape on. It's happened with cinnamon when I used it as a facial or to lighten my hair, or some such nonsense. Was okay a few times and then one time...my scalp and face are on fire...a few other things as well. I've just recently used this product for the first time. This was my second time.i feel like I'm on fire. Like my skin is blistering. Not much info on the web. No warning on the box.b

My question is this...is it okay and safe for me to be around TD while I'm having this reaction.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If u have to touch him , wear gloves. If there is a strong smell, try to get it off if possible. Do u have Benadryl ? Would that work for u to reduce redness? Call the vet when they open. Hard to type on this iPhone. Sorry for errors or sloppiness.

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also. Report this to the company. If u go to the doctor, it is good to have it on record. I hope u feel better.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
@Wasabisaurus Thank you! We've been staying in a hotel for the last two days and nights bcuz of the Santa Ana winds and the record breaking heat. So, luckily I was in the bathroom and TD was in the main room with a solid door between us instead of just an accordion one! I immediately jumped in the shower and rinsed it all off. There was an odor of menthol that was pretty strong. The product is "all natural" (Ha!) TD was already covered up for the night in a corner of the room. We aired the room out quickly. I heard TD in there a bit ago doing his usual soft, sleepy time Andy Griffith whistle.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you get any sleep? I have been up all night. My leg is killing me. What a slow death! :laugh:

I did not know you lived in California. I can't watch the news. Can't bear it, but I'll look up the latest fire news online.

Are you still all red? If so, take pictures, especially if you're going to the doctor.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your allergic reaction. Good that you are better today. Do contact the company who makes the medication regarding your reaction.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
maybe a good idea to always have some Benadryl in your home. I did not develop allergies until I was an adult.
I'm never without Benadryl myself. I keep it on hand for myself, and my dog, Charlie, who has a very serious allergy to fleas. Looking back I can see that I did suffer from allergies. I can remember as a kid, being as I was always out in the woods, having reactions to almost every plant that came in contact with my skin. Not overly bad. Would last about an hour. I remember thinking this was just a defense mechanism for the plant! Guess I thought I was Grizzly Adams (or better yet, that boy from the book, My Side of the Mountain).

I've been deathly allergic to bee stings all my life.

Since moving to Southern California, it seems, my allergies have added to their numbers. I'm on allergy medication. It doesn't help much. I've never been tested, but how can you hope for a correct test result if you only have reactions sometimes?

I'll be calling the company this afternoon.

Thanks, everyone, for your concern! TD seems fine.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sorry you had to go through that, but I'm glad it's getting better!
:hug8:

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
The reaction is the histamine that your body is releasing in reaction to the topical or whatever you are having an allergy to. As longs the ointment is off your skin completely your histamine levels shouldn't affect your birds.

I'm so sorry about the fires. I'm not watching TV anymore because there is only so much devastation I can handle. I'm hoping and praying you are safe with your family. :nervous:

Please see a doctor about your body's reactions to so many chemicals. You may be experiencing something more serious. Let us know that you are okay. I would not be able to come back to this forum if I thought something happened to you while I'm sitting up here in Northern California. :crycry:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
. I would not be able to come back to this forum if I thought something happened to you while I'm sitting up here in Northern California
That's very sweet. I can't believe how quickly I have come to feel the same way about everyone on the Avenue!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
The Santa Ana winds are horrible. I woke up this morning feeling an sounding like I had a cold. But it is allergies.
Janet, hope you are feeling better.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
@WendyN Thank you! I am feeling better! It's funny, the majority of my allergic reactions are skin reactions, and they don't usually last that long. Bee stings are an exception. THC is another. With that one, my nose plugs up immediately (no need to ask how I know that!). I understand that most people with allergies suffer with runny noses and watering eyes. I have such chronic dry eyes I wish I had that reaction!

I'm also very allergic to feline claws. They don't even have to break the skin. Just a light touch by them and I'm itching and burning like crazy. Stronger effect from kittens. Both bad... especially if they do break the skin...then it feels like my blood has been replaced by molten lava. Worst scenario...a kitten's claws breaking the skin! Oddly, that has never stopped me from having cats!

When I first took TD, I thought I might have to re-home him or her almost immediately bcuz I had such a bad reaction anywhere TD's feet touched my hands/arms/head. Like with kittens and cats, it became much less severe when TD reached about three months of age!