• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with tantrums...

Teala

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hi all!
I have a 4.5 year old B&G, Lilly, whom I brought home at 6 months. She has been pretty well behaved, no excessive screaming or tantrums. She would sometimes scream once or twice when I would leave but that was about it. She has been the only bird since coming home 4 years ago.

3 weeks ago I adopted a 13 year old Catalina, Mai Tai, from an owner who was having some medical issues. She is also a well behaved bird.

Since bringing Mai Tai home, Lilly has been pretty upset. She screams pretty regularly, and is beside herself every time I walk out of the room (they're in the family room/kitchen area). I try to ignore it, to not give her attention when she's throwing a tantrum. But sometimes I feel like I need to just give her a time out because she won't stop. I'll calmly walk over to her stand, she'll step up, and I'll put her in her cage for 5-10 minutes until she's calmed down. I don't yell at her, talk to her or anything. Once she has calmed, I'll talk to her and give her attention. Is this the right way to respond?

Mai Tai has mostly been calm since coming to stay, and I've been trying to make sure neither of them feel unloved in this new, stressful situation. Any tips on how to help make this transition smoother would be greatly appreciated!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would try to block the habit before it starts. Before you leave the room drop some treats or foot toys on her stand to occupy her until she gets re used to it. She is probably feeling insecurity, my human emotion for her distress.

Teala

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thanks! I gave her a treat while she was calm and then left to get the mail. She didn't freak out so I'll need to make sure I keep doing this. Do you have any suggestions for when she's throwing a tantrum while I'm in the room? It typically happens while I'm tending to Mai Tai or if she decides she needs my attention. She is very food motivated but I don't want to give her 5lbs in treats every day. She has decided whatever I'm doing is more important than toys.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Find more highly valued toys. Stick the nuts in rolled up cardboard, give her paper to shred. Birdie bagels, vine balls, just find something new.

If she is yelling because your tending to another bird I find it best to ignore it completely. It's hard in the beginning but it soon gets better.