• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with taming?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
So were obviously going to let our girl get settled in before working on taming, but I never really had to do this with my others. Since she’s been through so much at such a young age, she absolutely hates when we come near her and lunges. Food will be the motivator as she loves it. I know we’re gonna go slow, but what is the best technique to get her to trust us and allow herself to be handled? Are there specific steps to follow?

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
My boy lunges and hisses at times. He is doing better but still won't step up very often unless I use a training perch and even then he flies or runs away. I play music for him and talk to him a lot unless he doesn't seem to want to be bothered. He loves baths and will let me handle him during those times. It takes time and patience for sure.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Any ideas as to how to get her to stop lunging and biting when I try to give her a treat?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If your bird is going for a lunging bite then I would hold off on the treats for a while from your hand. You can drop treats in the cage when you know your bird is watching you. Best to move at her pace and as we say all the time be patient.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Try talking to her and standing or sitting a few feet away from her. Let her know you're not going to hurt her.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I love @Lady Jane advice, another thing you could try and hold the treat far away, so she Will have to reach forward a bit to get it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is she actually biting or just threatening?