• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help with newborn cockatiel

SarahA

Moving in
Hello this is my first time breeding cockatiels but ihave had parakeets that had babys and i feed them at3-4 weeks but my young cockatiel is 1year had 6 eggs 3 or 2 ithink were fertile only one made it it hatched july24 how can i safely handfeed the chick iv gotten a couple of drops down about 5 times today every2hrs but these past 2 times food came out of babys nose ONLY REASON IMTRYING TO HAND FEED IS BOTH PARENTS WONT GO OR STAY IN NEST AT ALL IVE TRIED PUTTING BOTH IN THEIR BUT THEY COMEOUT AND WONT EVEN STAY IN THEIR TOO KEEP BABY WARM I HAVE A LITTLE HEAT PACKINTHEIR AND A HEATER IN MYRESTROOM ONLY PLACE TOO KEEP BABY WARM BOTH PARENTS WERE HAND FED I THINK MALE IS 3YRS OR MORE FEMALE IS 1YRS

Attachments

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Awe ... poor baby! :sad4:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh dear, I hope someone with experience will come give you some advice soon. I hope all will be well with the baby.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Can't sleep, what formula are you feeding? What type of syringe are you using? What temperature is the formula at? How often are you try to feed this baby?
If possible please take pictures of all the, above, it will helps to you to help the little one.

Last edited:

SarahA

Moving in
When i got my caique the breeder gave me some food i still have some its like awhite color not the kaytee brand do yall recomend a brand iv been trying every 2 hrs and got about 5/6hrs of sleep i didnt even want to try with a syringe i just use a plastic spoon i used hot waterfrom sink and a cup with very hot water under the cup with food but formula wont stay warm

SarahA

Moving in
Can't sleep, what formula are you feeding? What type of syringe are you using? What temperature is the formula at? How often are you try to feed this baby?
If possible please take pictures of all the, above, it will helps to you to help the little one.
When i got my caique the breeder gave me some food i still have some its likeawhite color not the kaytee brand do yall recomend a brand iv been trying every 2hrs and got about 5/6hrs of sleep i didnt even want to try with a syringe i just use a plastic spoon i used hot waterfromsink and a cup with very hot water under the cup with food but formula wont staywarm

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I know nothing about teils and less about baby birds. I do know that you should be using a thermometer to measure the temperature of the food so you don't burn the baby's crop or cause an infection from the food being too cold.

@Tiel Feathers

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Why are you breeding birds when you have no clue what you're doing? Please reconsider what you're doing simply because of the tragedy that is happening right now. What are you trying to achieve?

The truth is that chick's chance of survival are low to none with your skill set and knowledge. I'm very sorry about that. You need skilled intervention by a vet.

Curse the breeder for selling an unweaned baby to an amateur.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Take the baby to the nearest breeder have them hand feed that baby . PLEASE!!
Otherwise that baby has no chance what so ever of living.
PLEASE DO NOT BREED YOUR BIRDS IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ARE DOING.
I am being brutally honest. It that baby's life you are holding your hand.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I have no experience in breeding or hand feeding tiels...you MUST get to an AV ASAP to save the little ones!
Why are you breeding birds when you have no clue what you're doing? Please reconsider what you're doing simply because of the tragedy that is happening right now. What are you trying to achieve?

The truth is that chick's chance of survival are low to none with your skill set and knowledge. I'm very sorry about that. You need skilled intervention by a vet.

Curse the breeder for selling an unweaned baby to an amateur.
Amen, Brother...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It sounds like the parents are too young. I'm afraid I don't have baby bird experience. Can you contact a vet or breeder in your area? Sometimes another tiel will also take care of a baby: PROBLEM SOLVING by FOSTERING Suzanne Russo is a wonderful resource for baby birds. She sometimes can be contacted through her website or facebook page if you can't find someone where you are to help you. I hope the baby will be okay.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Hello this is my first time breeding cockatiels but ihave had parakeets that had babys and i feed them at3-4 weeks but my young cockatiel is 1year had 6 eggs 3 or 2 ithink were fertile only one made it it hatched july24 how can i safely handfeed the chick iv gotten a couple of drops down about 5 times today every2hrs but these past 2 times food came out of babys nose ONLY REASON IMTRYING TO HAND FEED IS BOTH PARENTS WONT GO OR STAY IN NEST AT ALL IVE TRIED PUTTING BOTH IN THEIR BUT THEY COMEOUT AND WONT EVEN STAY IN THEIR TOO KEEP BABY WARM I HAVE A LITTLE HEAT PACKINTHEIR AND A HEATER IN MYRESTROOM ONLY PLACE TOO KEEP BABY WARM BOTH PARENTS WERE HAND FED I THINK MALE IS 3YRS OR MORE FEMALE IS 1YRS
What town/state/country are you in? If you're close, I'll take the baby. If not, we can suggest vets or bird stores that can take the baby, or teach you how to hand feed.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
That's a very young chick though if it hatched Tuesday. I have friends (mother & daughter) who'll hand feed very young chicks but they're here in Illinois west of Chicago.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
If food is coming out of the baby's nose then... that's not good. The food clearly went the wrong way.

If the baby is still alive please take the baby to your nearest avian vet or give the baby to a nearby breeder to hand-feed.

Please do not breed your birds again until you 100% know what you're doing.

SarahA

Moving in
Sad update baby passed when it hatched i noticed the stomach was black does anybody know why it had a black stomach

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about the baby. Birds do not always do well with the first clutch. If you are going to continue to breed then contact a breeder or avian vet and get some experience feeding very young hatchlings. You never know what will happen and you need to be ready for anything and everything when you are breeding.
As for a black stomach I have no idea. Could have been some internal bleeding/clotting, could have been something else???