• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with newbie

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If your bird is eating pellets then there is likely no reason to be stressed about how often you get out side in the sun during the cooler months. The natural sun light is very very good for them but they can get what they need from a good pellet.
How do you take him outside? Do you have a harness or do you take him outside in his cage?

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
I will took him outside in the big big cage . He stepping and eating poop for sometimes is ok ?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am sure a small amount he had to clean off his foot won’t hurt him now and again. If he makes a habit of it that may be different. Is he stepping in poop because there’s not enough room to avoid stepping in it or was it just an accident? My bird has stepped in his poop before and cleaned it off with his beak and he was just fine. He hasn’t stepped in it often as he has enough room to easily avoid stepping in poop.

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
Yes he accident eat the poop not only step on but also eat accidently the poop he poop on the floor . The room is big enough

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t know if he needs the whole egg but boiled egg is fine to offer to him :)

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Eggs are just fine on occasion, a whole egg may be a bit much though. Eggs are a great source of protein and are really good as occasional snacks for him. Just as long as it's not salted, he should be fine.

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
He eat it all and he try out zupreem today . Really like it .

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
Hello guys . Im back with his eyes close 1 side . Dont know where he scratch his eye or my cat scratch his eye . He was closed 1 eye for 1 hour and He now can open it fully but he blinks alot . Do i need to do anything ? Or he will get better by himself ? Still eating and activity normal except with 1 eye closed

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You need to keep your cat away from your bird so your bird does not get hurt or sick from your cat or even worse....killed. Cats have very dirty germy claws that are full of dangerous bacteria’s and it is the same with their saliva. It is not a good idea to ever let your cat be close enough to your bird for the cat to scratch your bird.
I would be taking the bird to the vet for a check up.....there is a good chance he will need antibiotics if your cat scratched him.

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
I give him salt water saline for baby in his eye . He is opening eye right now , no swollen but i think he irritating cause he blink that eye alot and also close it sometimes

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
I put salt water only 2 times and when i put it in his eyes he closed his eyes entirely . We dont have any vets around ...

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
Ola is doing really good right now and his eyes is open wide and clear . He is on mainly zupreem fruitblend and fresh fruit + veggies . Can he eat the dry beans ? Or i need to cook it ? And how to teach him to dance - react to music ? His tail look ripped off, dont know he preenin too much or he wipe his tail with poop to the floor when he swing at play stand and then he preen it -.- or bècause he dont see uv from sunlight for 2 weeks already ?

Attachments

Last edited:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
He looks great! I read the post about a cat possibly scratching him - Shezbug is right about cat scratches. They are deadly if not treated very quickly. Don't allow your cats to be near enough to scratch or bite your bird!! Dried beans cannot be fed to parrots - you have to cook them first. His tail looks a bit dirty and worn. It's probably from being in a small cage, from being in a small travel cage when you first got him, and from playing. Make sure his cage is large enough to give him room to play without rubbing his wings and tail on the cage and floor. Letting him take a bath or shower will also help. The worn feathers will have to be molted out and regrown- that will happen slowly, but he's still very beautiful! You're very lucky to have him - I would love the opportunity to have one of these guys, but that's not possible in the U.S.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Also - I would take that string off his perch. Those tiny strands could easily trap and strangle a toe (I had that happen with my own cockatoo once!). I'd use some vet wrap or some larger jute, hemp or manila rope.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He is so beautiful.
Also - I would take that string off his perch. Those tiny strands could easily trap and strangle a toe (I had that happen with my own cockatoo once!). I'd use some vet wrap or some larger jute, hemp or manila rope.
I did mention that earlier on then I noticed the thread was changed to a smaller thread. He may be best to remove the string/thread and replace it with vet tape I am thinking :)

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Why do you think the cat scratched him? The postings kind of jumped around and I did read any mention of a cat around him until you brought up his eye.

These birds can be very bossy with cats, and a cat will either flee from the bird, or fight back. Please do not put either one of them in that position.

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
Thanks u guys . It was an accident when the cat come in side his room . The rope look like he gonna struggle but is not ! Just some for him to chêw and thats all . He had i large rooom to play cause i free roam him . He is not in any cage or chain in anything . Yes is very dirty tail he has that i showwer him But it not worn out