• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with my conure droppings

Sid

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sid
So i recently got a half moon conure and it seems to be fine i took her to the avian vet and they took a gran stain if im pronouncing it right and a culture test .. i got a call say her poop results came back normal(i should mention she was on a pure unhealthy sun flower seed diet) i changed her diet to lafebers nutri-berries and i mix zupreem nutrients and minerals pellets the fuirt blend ..
Her poop was i guess normal im not to sure what normal is so i took some pics of before and now ... also took pics of the food i feed her .. i hope its the change in food why her poop changed it was like a white ish with greenish color and now its a clayish brownish kakhish

Im a new bird owner so i need all the advice i can get so far the vet said im doing good .. and the culutre results should be here soon they said but im just worried about her change in poop

Im supriesed how she took a intrest in the pellets so fast

But i hope to hear from any bird expert ... ill post up pics

Attachments

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
upload_2017-3-25_8-21-7.png

this poop looks normal.

upload_2017-3-25_8-21-28.png

is this poop after a fair amount of watery type things or is this a morning poop?

upload_2017-3-25_8-22-3.png

this poop looks like it has some kind of food that fell into it, it doesn't look like that came out with the poop.

since you're changing her diet her poops will go through a varied stage of what they looked like on that all seed diet to what you're trying to get her to eat now. Leaf's did the same. if her gram stain came back normal I wouldn't be concerned. is she acting normally? is she eating normally? nothing that strikes you in her behaviour as abnormal?

how long have you had her? I suggest getting her interested in veggies and perhaps switching her over to Harrison's High Potency if possible. Leaf eats the fine kind of pellets and his switch over was fairly easy. just take it slow. if you're super concerned if your vet has an email address you can email them but if she's acting normal, eating normal, drinking normal, I wouldn't be overly concerned. just keep an eye on it. if you have aluminum foil or the cooking plastic paper, line the bottom of the cage so if they request you take her in there won't be any absorption of the poop so they can get a better sample.

also welcome and I'd love to see pictures of your beautiful conure baby!! :heart:

Reactions: Sid

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don't see anything wrong with that poop. You can not make any judgements over any 1 or 2 poop events. It must be something consistent over a period of time.

You've changed just about everything going "in". You've got to expect everything coming "out" to do the same.

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
just like @JLcribber said you've changed a lot. I freaked out over a poop from Leaf and it turned out it was likely the papaya or cranberries that he ate

Reactions: Sid

Sid

Real Name
Sid
Thank god for this fourm i woke up feeling better after reading this and yea shes normal she eats normal drinks normal and shes bearly getting use to my enviorment i just got her not more then a week ago /.\

I should mention im giving her medication for any bacterial treatment the vet suggestied it on account that the culture might take a while the antibiotics can do some things if she has anything she esent hand trained so its a struggle getting her to drink up her medicen ,

Also where can i buy this harrison high potency ? I cant seem to find it or any images on the item ? ... what veggies would yall recommend and yes of course ill post a pic

Also the wet poop from the 1st pic or 2nd that was around the time i was feeding her peer seeds i just changed her food 3 days ago to maybe 4

Any other advice ? I also get her with a towel small hand towel to cover her to get her for her medication ... what worries me is when she bites the towel and gets tiny particles i takw them off but i recently heard about my friends auntie giving her bird a grabe and it choked :'''( so sad

Also i feel like her poop got a odor but im probably just paranoid now .. but it smells like the nutri berries .. shes usually sits on her perge with her mirror and when ever she wants she eats ,drinks water and plays with her toys when im not looking haha

Attachments

Sid

Real Name
Sid
But overal after the medication is done and the stress shes put on she turns out to always be fine .. shes starting to let me get her with a less of a struggle since she knows im no threat .. the antibiotics are twice ever 12 hrs ...
I swear this bird is like my kid lol

Her name is mona

The vet told me she looked healthy ! But conures tend to hide when there sick :(

And on the last post i meant grape ... my friends aunt gave her bird a grape and it passed away becasue of the skin :///
Other then that my birdy is a happy bird i hope .. she has toys and gets more then enought attention i just try to not stress her out to much

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Congrats on getting Mona! She's beautiful!

I find it kind of strange that the vet told you to give antibiotics if she is healthy. Antibiotic resistancy is a scary thing when antibiotics are overused. Was it a certified avian vet that you went to?

Sid

Real Name
Sid
Yeah they where licensed there located at hawthorne avian pet center i believe and the reason the vet said she was gonna be put on meds was incase if she did have anything they would treat it with some medication and the dose is only a 0.05 ill ask if its a threat to her but shes off them on tuesday .. its like 2 drops or 3 on her tounge and they dont know if shes healthy yet the culture test is coming this week ive just got the gran stain results

Tell me more about this antibiotic resistancy ? Never heard of it before ?? DX DONT SCARE ME NOW

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Yeah they where licensed there located at hawthorne avian pet center i believe and the reason the vet said she was gonna be put on meds was incase if she did have anything they would treat it with some medication and the dose is only a 0.05 ill ask if its a threat to her but shes off them on tuesday .. its like 2 drops or 3 on her tounge and they dont know if shes healthy yet the culture test is coming this week ive just got the gran stain results

Tell me more about this antibiotic resistancy ? Never heard of it before ?? DX DONT SCARE ME NOW

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare you! I'm not an expert or a Dr or anything so don't let me make you nervous! I am just a whackjob behind a keyboard. :wacky:

From the CDC website - "Antibiotic resistance is the ability of bacteria to resist the effects of an antibiotic. Antibiotic resistance occurs when bacteria change in a way that reduces the effectiveness of drugs, chemicals, or other agents designed to cure or prevent infections. The bacteria survive and continue to multiply, causing more harm"

Which basically means that without knowing exactly what kind of bacteria strain you're fighting, you may make the bacteria stronger and less likely to respond to antibiotics in the future.

I just personally would want to know my bird was actually sick before giving it medicine. But that's just my opinion. I don't know your vet but s/he may be a terrific one and probably knows way better than I do.