• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Help with my 6 week old crimson bellied conure

iloveconures

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Susan
I rescued a 5 week old crimson bellied conure a week ago, I had to handfed him (I named him Luna) 3 times a day. On Tuesday I noticed that Luna was not doing good he really looked like he was going to dye, I took him to the avian hospital where the vet said he was in critical condition and that they had to keep him for a few days. I picked him up on Thursday and Luna came home with some medication and two different types of baby formula for birds and a couple of syringe s to handfed him every two to three hours, which is okay as I was comfortable doing this. Since he's been at home I have to take him out and feed him and he goes crazy jumps around the bottom of his cage and yes he has flown out (thinking of getting his wings clipped) bites me and tries his hardest to get away from him, I am so afraid that he is stressing himself out and I truly believe he hates me. Please I need help on how to control him

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Please don't clip his wings. He is still scared, probably from the vet still. Many birds will associate someone with a bad experience, and that seems to be with your baby. I'm sure he doesn't hate you, he will get over it. It could also be that he is learning to fly and just wants to exercise those muscles!

I don't have any advice on how to feed him without him going crazy, but another member will pipe in with helpful info I'm sure. :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I agree with @Animallover03 , please do not clip his wings because you think iT Will make iT easier to handle him. That is a misunderstanding, clipping his wings Will leave him helpless, so he Will have to do what you want because he can’t Get away. I would advice to look into positive reinforcement training(a lot of help on this forum!) and force free training. Maybe when he is attacking you, back off and see if he calms down after a few minutes? I don’t know a lot about handfeeding birds, but other people here do and I am sure they Will jump in to give advice soon.
Good luck!

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I agree with not clipping his wings. Since he is so young, clipping them before he has a chance to fledge is not a good idea. I think he is just associating you with the vet and that makes him scared. Try what the others said above and see if that works

RyleeRae

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rylee brinkerhoff
When I got my baby his wings were cut very short. It’s very sad for me because he has no confidence in himself. He would rather bite than fly away because he know he will fall.
I say just give him some time to get comfortable and always go slow. If you force him and go fast it may ruin any trust you have between you.
Just a thought:D

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
When you "rescued" this baby did it come from a breeder? Was it being hand fed by someone prior to you or was it parent fed? Five weeks old is a critical stage prior to fledging in terms of nutrition as well as mental well being. I guarantee this baby does not hate you but is genuinely fearful of you and biting as a result of that fear. Which is why I asked if this baby was hand fed prior to you or parent fed. The vast majority of breeders will pull their babies very early for banding and hand feeding while there are still people who will let the parents feed the babies. If it wasn't handled prior to you then it has a natural fear and could lead to getting it fed properly difficult… not to mention giving the meds. If it isn't tame and you have to reach in to pick up a fearful baby you are leaving a negative imprint which could lead to behavior issues. You are going to have to be patient to earn the trust of this baby and if you aren't able to hand feed and give meds I would honestly take it back to the vet and let them finish the process for you. They can monitor it's weight and keep an eye on it's health. What kind of set up do you have it in… offering other foods for it to pick at.. what temperature are you keeping it at? Share some photos if you can.