• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with hissing cockatiel

kib1992

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kelsey
My partner and I bought a cockatiel about 3 weeks ago. She's still very young (I was told she was 5 weeks when we got her, but I'm doubtful. Would say more about 8 weeks old, unsure of sex so calling it 'she' for now).

She hisses a lot which I know is incredibly common in cockatiels and more-so in young ones. We're trying to limit our behaviour that makes her hiss i.e. once it's 'night-time', no one goes back into the room unless it's an emergency.

One of the things she hisses at, however, is us changing her food and water bowl. We have to reach into her cage it get them and obviously that's very stressful to her to the point where she's trying to fly around her cage to get away from us (old owner kept her in a tiny cage, so her flight isn't very good)

Now, we can't just not feed her everyday and as she sits on her food bowl and poops into it, we can't leave old seed in there. My very long winded question is; what can we do to help calm her down.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What I would do is keep doing what you are doing. Since she's so uncomfortable with you, try dropping a treat in the cage whenever you walk by. My tiels like millet spray, just snip off a small section and give that or even a nutriberry.

Sitting by the cage and reading aloud is highly recommended. I think this helps them get to know you and your voice, body movements, etc. but you aren't staring at her so she can do that on her own terms.

Staring at a bird makes them really uncomfortable because they're prey to most other animals. So it's like you are "after" her - be sure not to do that.

Also it sounds like she's isolated from the family? try moving the cage wherever the center of activity is.

@Tiel Feathers ?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One thing I let people know is that most birds love routines so keep the same routines you have set. She will adapt and feel more comfortable knowing what to expect. Move you hands slowly which is also important. 3 weeks is a very short time to expect a bird to get used to a new home, now cage and new people. Give it at lease months, not days.
Can you show is a photo of the cage she is in please? Large flight cages are good and some cages have outside access to the food and water dish so you are not reaching into the cage with your hands. Also you can gently places the palms of you hands on the outside of the cage bars from time to time. Its obvious this bird is not used to humans so you have a long road ahead of you.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Good suggestions so far about taking things slow, establishing a routine, and working with her to make her more comfortable with you. Dropping a treat in her cup through the cage bars every time you walk by, and having a cage with feeder doors are good ideas. Also, how large is the cage? If it's too small, she's going to feel more threatened when you feed her than if it's larger.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
My partner and I bought a cockatiel about 3 weeks ago. She's still very young (I was told she was 5 weeks when we got her, but I'm doubtful. Would say more about 8 weeks old, unsure of sex so calling it 'she' for now).

She hisses a lot which I know is incredibly common in cockatiels and more-so in young ones. We're trying to limit our behaviour that makes her hiss i.e. once it's 'night-time', no one goes back into the room unless it's an emergency.

One of the things she hisses at, however, is us changing her food and water bowl. We have to reach into her cage it get them and obviously that's very stressful to her to the point where she's trying to fly around her cage to get away from us (old owner kept her in a tiny cage, so her flight isn't very good)

Now, we can't just not feed her everyday and as she sits on her food bowl and poops into it, we can't leave old seed in there. My very long winded question is; what can we do to help calm her down.
Was she handfed? If so, she may be regressing. 5 weeks old is very young. Even 8 weeks old is young. My Bella was like that when I first got her at 7 weeks. I found out after a few days that she was hungry. When I got some handfeeding formula and showed her the syringe, I was her best friend. It is difficult to weigh her when she is so frightened but I'd guess that she is losing weight. Handfeeding is a great way to bond with your tiel. Do you have a picture of him or her so we can see how old she is? And welcome to the site.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, I missed that about her being 5 weeks old when you got her! That does seem very young to be fully weaned. Eight weeks is still very young. Many cockatiels don't fully wean until ten-12 weeks. Are you sure about her age?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
@kib1992 How is your little one? Also, if you have trouble handfeeding, I would ask the breeder for assistance.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
if its possible try placing the food dishes near the doors of the cage so you don't have to put your hand too close to her, like others said, just move very slowly when inside of her cage. If she is only 5 weeks old she was way too young to be taken away from her parents, hopefully she is eating and much older. If she appears to not be eating much I would attempt handfeeding the like others say. Good luck with your little one ! Try to not be too discouraged, because since shes young she will come around. Hopefully she is not a very old bird and they lied about her age. I didn't know Hissing was common in little ones, I got a young 2 month 3 week cockatiel that has not hissed once in the past 3 weeks since I got her. I just hope shes not making the begging noise of being hungry since she could be so young ! When they do that , that means they need to be handfed because they are not weaned yet. Maybe youtube a video of hissing and then of begging :)

Last edited: