• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with Harness

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Hello! So we have been working with Tikki the cockatiel and his aviator harness for I think 4 days now. (Thanks@Tinabell for the harness!) I've been unable to watch the included DVD because our DVD player apparently won't recognize it as a disk, so I've been watching clips on YouTube. We've made great progress in just a few days, he'll happily put his head in the hole if millet is involved! The issue I'm having is that once his head is in, he panics and runs off, dragging the harness and leash. When I try to complete the harness, he gets upset and nibbles, I definitely won't say bite since I've seen a real bite of his, and it draws blood! Lol
I worry about stressing him out and associating the harness with a negative experience, but I also wonder if it would be better to just quick get his wings through and he can be mad for a minute. Any ideas? So far the plan is to just keep trying, and hopefully he eventually realizes that the harness isn't hurting him and he won't panic.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I got my conure into his aviator harness twice kind of fine, but he hates the strap across his belly, and yes, he's now started to fear it! Does Tikki let you touch his wings? I think getting them used to having their wings touched is a good next step. I can't even get the loop over Galahad's head now so we're really starting at square one. If you make the loops big enough they can just flap and then be in. @BeanieofJustice has gotten her Jenday into a harness, maybe she has some more tips!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
When I get Tibs in his harness I quickly attach the belly band, a big part of it is that I've been getting him used to me manipulating his wings (lots of treats and it becomes a game). It really depends on how phobic Tikki is about it. I have an Avian Web harness, so it's slightly different but the wing/belly band I usually try to do relatively quickly and made a game of it. I started with letting him see it. He watched me put it on a beanie baby parrot a few times, I got his head through it, and then I just fastened it around his belly/behind his wings. Use the highest value treat that he only gets when his harness goes on.
Here's a video with what I think might be an aviator harness with a B&G macaw that shows how someone else did it.
I'm not sure how much I can help, but I'll try :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think it not only depends on the bird but by the sounds of it there are different styles of harness that may be easier or more difficult to use depending on the birds cooperating levels.
Burt hates putting his head through the hole of his aviator the most, his wings are the easiest part then adjusting the belly strap is the second easiest part for us. I only use it if he doesn’t have a heap of pin feathers though ....god help me if I even bring that harness out in view if he has lots of pin feathers. We had a bit of a bad experience with some new pin feathers getting hurt while trying to remove the neck piece and since then he absolutely hates putting his head through. Lol.
I have been considering getting a different brand, I think there are some harnesses that don’t require the bird to do much (like put head through etc) but stand still and let you hook the straps up.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You can watch the whole Aviator video on youtube ;)

Good luck!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I think it not only depends on the bird but by the sounds of it there are different styles of harness that may be easier or more difficult to use depending on the birds cooperating levels.
Burt hates putting his head through the hole of his aviator the most, his wings are the easiest part then adjusting the belly strap is the second easiest part for us. I only use it if he doesn’t have a heap of pin feathers though ....god help me if I even bring that harness out in view if he has lots of pin feathers. We had a bit of a bad experience with some new pin feathers getting hurt while trying to remove the neck piece and since then he absolutely hates putting his head through. Lol.
I didn't even think about pin feathers! Ouch! I may give the AvianWeb a try, it looks less strappy so maybe it will be more comfortable for him. The aviator goes fine until I try to tighten the belly strap, then he's got his feet under it and things go awry. :huh:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Thanks everyone! I bought some of extra special treats today that I'll bring out only when the harness is involved, and I will keep trying!! I cannot wait for our first outdoor adventure, whenever he's ready!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Alright, so it took probably 30 minutes of baby steps, millet, treats, and some begging...haha BUT we got the harness on! I saw 'we' because it really was a two person job! With my toddler 'helping' too of course..Which as anyone with kids knows, is NO help. What ended up being the key was for my husband to hold him and give him head scritches while I manipulated his wings. The issue we had was that I needed the harness loose to get his wings through, then his feet would get caught up in the harness, and that really made him mad! I'm almost positive it was on 100% correctly, but of course, he was so wiggly that it is hard to say for sure. It was very secure, and he couldn't get out, but I'm not sure if it was laying comfortably for him. My husband had a heart attack about 18 times during the whole ordeal, convinced I was going to break his foot or wings, and I'm sure his panic didn't help Tikki! As soon as we got the harness on, we went outside, and he seemed to enjoy it! He never left our shoulders, but spent a lot of time looking up at the sky, and chirping.
Taking the harness off was another two person job, but it went much smoother than putting it on. All in all, I'd say it was a win, and a definite step in the right direction. I'm hoping to be able to do it much faster next time, and hopefully without my nervous nelly of a husband next time. ;-) I do think I'll continue researching different harnesses, and if we can find an easier to use one that I'm confident is as escape proof as this one, then we'll give it a try. Thanks again for all of your help! :) 64846941_2576043429332768_2864690336859422720_n.jpg 64989935_477949126346310_34726618769391616_n.jpg

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
When I get Tibs in his harness I quickly attach the belly band, a big part of it is that I've been getting him used to me manipulating his wings (lots of treats and it becomes a game). It really depends on how phobic Tikki is about it. I have an Avian Web harness, so it's slightly different but the wing/belly band I usually try to do relatively quickly and made a game of it. I started with letting him see it. He watched me put it on a beanie baby parrot a few times, I got his head through it, and then I just fastened it around his belly/behind his wings. Use the highest value treat that he only gets when his harness goes on.
Here's a video with what I think might be an aviator harness with a B&G macaw that shows how someone else did it.
I'm not sure how much I can help, but I'll try :)
I just looked up that Avian Web Harness, and it does look much easier! I think we'll try that one too :)

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Well, we got our Aviator Harness and went out with it and I have to say that the AvianWeb is much easier to put on because you can just slide it under the wing much more easily, or at least it was for me. I like both but the AvianWeb is much easier for us to put on and tighten to the right girth. Especially for Tibs who, once the harness is on, is ready to GO. I'm probably biased because I've been using the AW longer so I am more comfortable with it too. Pretty much it's whatever the bird is more comfortable with wearing.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I was drawn to the aviator harness because it really is super escape proof, but after looking into the web harness, I don't think we'd have any issues with the safety of it. I could see how a large parrot left unsupervised for any length of time could potentially damage the harness and compromise it's safety, but Tikki never leaves us alone ever so I'm not worried haha

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Yeah, ha, any bird left unsupervised WILL find trouble. Someone with a macaw, I think it was Hankmacaw, recommended the AW. Like I said, I think both harnesses are really good. I was going to get the aviator initially because it is a great brand, no two ways about it but, the Web was recommended by a mac owner so I figured, if it could hold a mac, it could hold Tibs.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I actually didn't realize there was anything other than the Aviator, and they have it at the local parrot shop so I gave it a go. I think the AW will be much easier and more comfortable for Galahad, but I can't really make my mind up on the color! I kind of want one of the sparkly ones!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Awe he looks soo happy outside in those pics! I can just picture him “looking up at the sky” :)
Hope you find whatever works best for you, in the end it’ll be worth it just to see that look of freedom on his face!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Galahad's AvianWeb harness arrived today! It came with three sizes! I contacted them about what size since the one marked for conures listed weights at 100g and this boy is only 68g and they recommended the cockatiel one as it comes with three sizes. I'm excited to give them a try, but I'm going to try to go slow this time . 20190627_163623.jpg

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Oh wow! Congrats! That’s great! I love the color! :D

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh wow! Congrats! That’s great! I love the color! :D
Yeah I might try to get my lovebird into the smallest one, but I do not have high hopes. She's quite a sassy pants. Although she's blue and the color would be great on her!