• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help with hand feeding baby cockatiel

Diene

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Diana
I already made a post on another forum but I really need some help here.

My cockatiels made a secret nest inside a bookshelf and by the time I noticed one of the eggs already had movement inside so I let that one hatch. Well they didn’t want to feed the baby after 12 hours and ignored it so I started to hand feed it. I’m new to this but I been researching a lot to help this baby. I made it a brooder and he was doing great until about day 5 I noticed he looks much skinnier than the babies I see on the guides. And he was supposed to be fed every 2 hours but his crop doesn’t empty that fast it takes him 4 hours to empty. In some articles I read it says 4 hours is fine but others say the crop must be empty before each feeding. I made sure the formula is hot enough and the brooder too and the formula is mixed as it says in the container. What am I doing wrong? Should I be worried? It’s day 7 and he still looks sorta skinny. I will post pictures soon when I feed him. Please help I’m worried he might be sick.

Edit: Here are some pics before and after feeding. The crop is about 1/3 full after 2 and a half hours it should be fully empty by now right?
CC62106-D-1350-4918-8-E6-E-633151-EDB95-E
10-F48-C04-1176-4-B82-B00-A-9-DD817-BA62-E9

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Helllo Diana :)

And he was supposed to be fed every 2 hours but his crop doesn’t empty that fast it takes him 4 hours to empty. In some articles I read it says 4 hours is fine but others say the crop must be empty before each feeding.
The crop does not need to empty completely between feeds every single time, just once - most breeders do this one overnight, so when you feed the chick in the morning, the crop should be completely empty before you start.

It is hard to tell on a photo, but as the head and feet look big, I would be leaning to think he is stunted.
@finchly

Stunted-baby-illus-Copy.jpg~original.jpg

20080206_440.jpg~original.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I agree, he is stunted. It’s nothing you did, honey. And that may be why they wouldn’t feed him.
In fact you’ve done a great job!:loveshower:
And there’s nothing cuter than a baby tiel!

Diene

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Diana
He is really stunted? I made sure to give water at first and on cockatiel cottage it says he is within the weight range of 12 to 45 grams at 1 to 2 weeks old. He just looks really skinny to me compared to the pictures there. He’s at 12.2 grams. I hope he is not stunted if he is is there anything I can do to help him catch up? Cheked and his skin doesn’t seem dry or red...

Last edited: