• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with Genders + Bonding

T.yler

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tyler
Hello Everyone , I’ve been wanting birds for a long time and recently got 2 budgies! They’re amazing! Currently they’re temporarily in a minimum size cage :( Just because it was a last minute thing . Now , I’m confused on one of their genders but I assume the one with the blue cere is a male. The smaller one has a blueish/whiteish/pinkish cere. upload_2019-8-19_19-39-6.jpeg upload_2019-8-19_19-39-34.jpeg They’re both a few months old I believe . I also wanted some tips on bonding . They both are fine with me in the room and eat out of my hand but still aren’t quite there in bonding . Not to the point where I’d be able to hold them , take them out of their cage , or do anything else with them. Any tips on the gender or bonding are appreciated! :)

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
:hello1::welcomeavenue: We have a lot of great budgie owners here like @Lady Jane @JoJo&Loki @taxidermynerd @Kiwi's Mom

Just wondering, how long have you had them? And did they experience past trauma (for example, if you adopted them)? These will affect how long it will take to bond with your budgies. By the way, they are precious little things! :heart: Did you come up with names? It might help them recognize you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
First female and yes second a male. They look almost mature. May i ask where you got them? Bonding with any bird is something you earn. It takes a good deal of time and patience. Are they related? What names did you choose?

T.yler

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tyler
I adopted them actually! :) I’m not sure about their past but Ik the female was alone then the person got the male and they became attached to each other . They are not related and I’m still deciding on a name as I didn’t know the gender of the female .

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
:welave:

Awe!!! they are adorable! As mentioned above it takes much time and patience. Good things to do at this stage:

Sit and talk to them -can be reading aloud to them too you just want them to get used to your presence and voice ;)

Offer treats- if they’re too scared to get near you just drop them in a bowl when you’re talking to them or just walking by etc. this helps them look forward to seeing you

Let them show you what they’re ready for and when. Just never force them on your hand or out of the cage etc. this will break trust.

Since you adopting them (congrats btw- that’s amazing!) you are unsure of their past. This makes taking it slow and letting them lead even more important! However, it WILL be worth it when you get there I promise!

Again, welcome to AA! This is a great place with great people :). Everything I wrote above I’ve learned from them :heart:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
#1 female #2 male. And at least 5 months old judging by the cheek patches.
When they're out of the cage try approaching them slowly, sideways, the same as 2 budgie strangers would approach each other. When you get within a couple of feet slowly (very) offer them some millet. Hold the millet in the crook of your thumb and carefully Place your straight index finger tip against the end or side of whatever they're perched on while looking away. Eventually you'll feel one of them step onto your finger to eat. Keep it there til they've done and step off. Every movement you make must be calm and deliberate.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Congratulations on your budgies! Bonding will take time but I’m sure you will get there!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Tyler! :fairy2:

Maybe some pair names would be nice? A male and a female character from the same film (movie), or two singers who sang a famous duet, etc

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome to the Avenue Tyler! :fairy2:

Maybe some pair names would be nice? A male and a female character from the same film (movie), or two singers who sang a famous duet, etc
Or maybe rhyming names if you're prepared to remember who's who ;)

I'll add a link to a video on taming later!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Or maybe rhyming names if you're prepared to remember who's who ;)
Nice idea, but I don´t know how well they would do with that, it could cause confusion during recall etc

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hold the millet in the crook of your thumb and carefully Place your straight index finger tip against the end or side of whatever they're perched on while looking away.
Fact: I am doing exactly this with my arm in their big cage and I swear to god my arm burns from holding it out for 5 - 10 minutes several times a day :confused:

Your budgies are adorable, we are in the same boat training wise, but what everyone else said is spot on. It takes a while, especially older adoptees. Mine were 2 when I got them and it's been 5 months since I got them. They just need some time :) I speak to my two, whistle ALL the time, and do what @Ripshod said at least once a day. I also let them out their cage to roam while I read quietly in the corner. I keep a millet spray nearby just in case.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Fact: I am doing exactly this with my arm in their big cage and I swear to god my arm burns from holding it out for 5 - 10 minutes several times a day :confused:

Your budgies are adorable, we are in the same boat training wise, but what everyone else said is spot on. It takes a while, especially older adoptees. Mine were 2 when I got them and it's been 5 months since I got them. They just need some time :) I speak to my two, whistle ALL the time, and do what @Ripshod said at least once a day. I also let them out their cage to roam while I read quietly in the corner. I keep a millet spray nearby just in case.
Try doing it outside of the cage. They'll have the freedom to escape so won't feel like it's a trap. I try to do everything outside of the cage, it's so much easier. The more you do it the less it'll burn ;)

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try doing it outside of the cage. They'll have the freedom to escape so won't feel like it's a trap. I try to do everything outside of the cage, it's so much easier. The more you do it the less it'll burn ;)
As they are quite new to the "outside cage world" they are very flighty when I approach them while they are outside. When they get startled they tend to fly off to my shelves and stay there for hours. But I can now do it at the very front perch. My idea is to progress to the outside perch. Although that also has nothing to lean on and it's killing my arms :arghh: I have weak spaghetti arms! :o:

When I do approach them from inside I only offer it at a distance away so they have to walk there. That way they can stay away or back off if they don't feel safe.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Try putting the palm of your hand flat on the outside of the cage and sing to them when you do this. Repeat several times a day until their body language shows relaxation.