• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with finding the right dog

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Here is another dog I plan on going to see after work today. Please read his bio.

We do not have busy household. It is just my hubby and I. We both work but I come home for lunch and after work. I plan on doing dog training. No other pets in the house.

What do you experienced dog people like? Do you really think this dog has to live in a busy household.

Also my dogs are always inside pampered dogs

CAYMAN (A225161)

Cayman was owner surrendered with 2 other dogs when the owner had to move. At 3 years old, this was Cayman’s second home and so we want his next home to be forever. Cayman is a happy, outgoing little guy, social with dogs and people, but has lived in not the best of circumstances. He is a Lhasa Apso mix and arrived at the shelter as one big mat. After a clinical groom, Cayman feels much better but his next owners will need to be aware that he will need regular grooming to keep his coat clean and healthy. Cayman was an outdoor dog in his prior home and will need a family that will include him and teach him some basic manners. He loves to be around people and has lived with dogs and older kids and would probably do well in a busy household that will spend time exercising his mind and body.

Cayman is a neutered male, black and white Lhasa Apso mix, appx. 3 years old.

He is black and white

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Lhasas are people dogs, that's their "job" and while this little guy "would probably do well in a busy household" that's doesn't mean that he needs it. They're adaptable dogs, as long as they are with their people and not afterthoughts in someone's life they tend to thrive.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's adorable. :)

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Lhasas are people dogs, that's their "job" and while this little guy "would probably do well in a busy household" that's doesn't mean that he needs it. They're adaptable dogs who as long as they are with their people and not afterthoughts in someone's life they tend to thrive.
That's what I think. Of course I would let his fur grow out a little and keep up the grooming. He would be very pampered for sure.

Do you think his name could be changed?

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes. Many dogs come into the shelters as dumped dogs/strays and the staff have no clue what their name is, they adapt easily to a new moniker. To make it easier it might be a good idea to try to find something similar sounding, but as long as it's paired with food and other "good stuff" dogs will respond to just about anything!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Do you think his name could be changed?
He is very cute ..and yes you can change his name for sure ...just use positive reinforcement when using the new name ...give lots of treats ..I changed my girls name from Willow to Nymeria in a matter of a couple of weeks ..she caught on very quick ...;)

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
He is a handsome boy! I hope it works out. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is very cute. He will need frequent grooming. You'll know if it works once you meet him. Best of luck with the visit. Hope things go well. I would assume that since the owners surrendered him that Cayman might be his original name but you can check with the shelter regarding that.

Senneth

Strolling the yard
Lhasa are active compared to some breeds of similar size, but I don't feel that they need a "busy household". Really, a good daily walk and time to play with his owners would be plenty for him. They can be a little stubborn in the training sense (a lot of Asian breeds are) but just keep up with it and you'll do fine. He'll need very regular grooming, as their hair is ever growing just like humans. It's really best to find a good professional groomer and put him on a grooming schedule. Every 6-8 weeks for a haircut, depending on how you want him to look, and he can have a baths in between if he needs it.

As a dog groomer myself, I always try to get my clients to rebook before leaving. It's easier for them, and they'll be a lot less likely to wait until their dogs are matted again before coming in.

He sure is a cutie! You'll know if he's right for you once you meet him.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
He is a cutie! I hope it works out for you! :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It's hard for me to imagine anyone keeping a small dog outside. It might suggest potty issues. How sad he's been through two homes already and didn't get proper care. He is cute!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I guess he didn't work out. You would have to see if he was good in the house & housetrained.
He has a strange ribcage & his legs look odd sort of barrel chested basset hound shape..
I guess I never saw a Lhasa shaved but his conformation looks weird to me.

I really don't see much Lhasa Apso.
We had one when I was a child & we weren't good about brushing him as he never liked it & would try to bite.
He did get a lot of bad mats. He had a vicious streak in him but maybe he was abused?
Ours was a very good watch dog.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
It's hard for me to imagine anyone keeping a small dog outside. It might suggest potty issues.
I don't think it 'suggests' I think it is a definite issue, probably along with chewing and other destructive behavior.

Think along the lines of working in real estate. 'Great little fixer upper' when in reality it is The Great Money Pit. Gotta read between the lines.